Roster Building Thread IV (2019/2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lemieux hasn’t done anything to deserve a dime more than his qualifying offer. He should put his head down and get back to work.

Reactions: RGY

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Sending down belesky and Nieves doesn’t clear any space cause no one is counting them, it’s assumed that belesky is buried and we have 13 forwards without Nieves and McKegg, if either makes the team another forward goes down to offset the cap hit

And sending smith down only saves you $1 mil if you don’t need to replace him. Save less than 300k if he is replaced. You aren’t keeping a kid in the press box. So who is the 7th d?
Um CapFriendly is counting those forwards right now. It says they have $1.01 million in space at the moment with 15 forwards and 7 defensemen listed. 14 signed and 6 signed.

Mckegg - $750k
Nieves - $700k
Beleskey - $1.9
Smith - $4.35

They can send down 3 of those 4 and still have a spare player. Say they keep Mckegg. It is $2.7 million in savings. Gets the overall number to $3.7. They sign Lemmy and ADA for $875k each. Puts them around $1.95 to start the season in space.

Someone can double check that

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Um CapFriendly is counting those forwards right now. It says they have $1.01 million in space at the moment with 15 forwards and 7 defensemen listed. 14 signed and 6 signed.

Mckegg - $750k
Nieves - $700k
Beleskey - $1.9
Smith - $4.35

They can send down 3 of those 4 and still have a spare player. Say they keep Mckegg. It is $2.7 million in savings. Gets the overall number to $3.7. They sign Lemmy and ADA for $875k each. Puts them around $1.95 to start the season in space.

That's exactly what I'm basing my math on.

Send down Beleskey and Nieves

Sign ADA and Pepe Jr. to a million apiece and off we go with 13 f and 7 d

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lemieux should get his QO nothing more. ADA 1.2 mil or so if possible he at least deserves a bit of a bump

Reactions: NYSPORTS

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Lemieux should get his QO nothing more. ADA 1.2 mil or so if possible he at least deserves a bit of a bump

Guessing somebody is in his ear and calculated the cost of living. A raise in NY with taxes, etc is equal to lesser cash elsewhere. He might see the offered number as a wash and not enough.

He’s going to be a huge part of the team and a fan favorite is my guess. Tight spot.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Gorton has been trying to move players for the last 3-4 months. What's going to change in the next 15 days? 1/2 of the NHL teams are looking to move money.

Gorton has said another move isn't coming to create more space and the money is already there for both players.

$874,125.

They can wait until September 12th.

Thanks, good interview, I had missed that one.

And there it is more or less. Not that I think anyone thought it was likely that a move would have come now either.

Just that if you are pissed at the situation, and Gorton obviously would like to do something, there would be no point in signing well before camp. Things can always happen, players tear Achilles’ tendons and what not. Kitchen knives can be sharp. Broken glass on the bathroom floor, I’ve heard about all kind of injuries this time of the year. All of a sudden a team not interested in like a Namestnikov develops an interest.

Not that I would hold my breath, but...

Calad

Section 422
Jul 24, 2011
Long Island
They have a smidge under 3 million to sign ADA and Lemieux. If they decide to go with only Brendan Smith as the spare player (both 13f and 7d) we could estimate cap space at around 3.5m. This should be enough space to get the 2 RFA under contract and room to operate until some team looks to acquire one of our expiring UFA contracts.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Mckegg - $750k
Nieves - $700k
Beleskey - $1.9
Smith - $4.35

In that scenario, we only have 6 dmen, and you are forgetting about Kravtsov. We could start the season with only 6 dmen given how few games we have, but we'll need someone like Smith to be the 7th dman at some point. Smith can also be a spare forward, if necessary.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
In that scenario, we only have 6 dmen, and you are forgetting about Kravtsov. We could start the season with only 6 dmen given how few games we have, but we'll need someone like Smith to be the 7th dman at some point. Smith can also be a spare forward, if necessary.

Calling up Kravtsov means he takes the spot of someone else who would be sent down. So that's a wash

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They have a smidge under 3 million to sign ADA and Lemieux. If they decide to go with only Brendan Smith as the spare player (both 13f and 7d) we could estimate cap space at around 3.5m. This should be enough space to get the 2 RFA under contract and room to operate until some team looks to acquire one of our expiring UFA contracts.

That's a possible scenario, but it means that, barring a trade, one of Andersson, Kakko or Kravtsov isn't on the team (at least to start the season). The cap situation would be a lot easier if some team would step up and trade for Namestnikov at 50%.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Calling up Kravtsov means he takes the spot of someone else who would be sent down. So that's a wash

With Lemieux and Kravtsov, we have 16 forwards. RGY suggested keeping McKegg and sending down Beleskey and Nieves, which still leaves us at 14. I seriously doubt we end up carrying 14 forwards.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
With Lemieux and Kravtsov, we have 16 forwards. RGY suggested keeping McKegg and sending down Beleskey and Nieves, which still leaves us at 14. I seriously doubt we end up carrying 14 forwards.

That's what I mean. Rangers will have 13 forwards and 7 defensemen at most. Calling up Kravtsov just means you demote/waive the guy he is replacing, whether it's Nieves, McKegg, Beleskey or someone else. McKegg is not going to be on the team for more than 20 games this upcoming season.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
That's what I mean. Rangers will have 13 forwards and 7 defensemen at most. Calling up Kravtsov just means you demote/waive the guy he is replacing, whether it's Nieves, McKegg, Beleskey or someone else. McKegg is not going to be on the team for more than 20 games this upcoming season.

I know. I wasn't suggesting that it would make a big difference in our cap situation. I was specifically addressing RGY's post where he suggested keeping McKegg and didn't include Kravtsov in his scenario.

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
You are completely right. I missed Kravy at first glance. I would then send McKegg down.

This contingent on Kravy making the team

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Since we have a week off for some weird reason after game 2, I think keeping Smith around as the dual-purpose 13F/7D ends up being the cheapest scenario to help bank cap space to start the year.

Just as a paper transaction, I had PDG as the 4RW to start the year, was generous and signed Lemieux to a 1 year, $925k deal, and I still had $2.8M left for ADA. That's probably not enough to get him on a multi-year deal, but there definitely is enough cushion there to get him in on the one-year deal.

Ideally, I'd prefer to find a way to move out Names and get ADA in here on a 5 or 6 year deal (I know that's not a popular opinion).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Unless they both sign their QOs, it would be a slap in the face of ADA to get the same contract as Lemieux.

Both players are 23 and without arbitration rights. ADA has played 60 more NHL games, but both players have only played 1 full NHL season, and ADA's season had its share of ups and downs. He has no reason to feel disrespected. Sign the contract and earn the payday.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Unless they both sign their QOs, it would be a slap in the face of ADA to get the same contract as Lemieux.
While I agree, that doesn’t really change the situation the Rangers put themselves in, and it seems they feel their only way forward is to lean into the leverage they have on the two players they have it over

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
unless McKegg has improved at every aspect of hockey I think he's not really an NHL player and hope he stays as a 13F where he belongs.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Guessing somebody is in his ear and calculated the cost of living. A raise in NY with taxes, etc is equal to lesser cash elsewhere. He might see the offered number as a wash and not enough.

He’s going to be a huge part of the team and a fan favorite is my guess. Tight spot.

That’s nice. And not at all how the world works. You don’t get to just choose your salary based off where you live. At least he doesn’t not yet. Hasn’t done anything. Hasn’t any negotiating rights. He’ll bury himself if he drags this out much longer.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

Mckegg - $750k
Nieves - $700k
Beleskey - $1.9
Smith - $4.35

I stand corrected. silly me for thinking our beat writers looked at the actual roster and not just the 'available cap space' on cap friendly.

If our 13 forwards are Panarin, Zibanejad, Kreider, Namestnikov, Buchnevich, Strome, Fast, Kakko, Kravstov, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Lemieux...plus Trouba, Staal, Skjei, Smith, Fox, Hajek, DeAngelo on the blueline and Hank/Georgiev in net...plus deadspace from Girardi, Spooner, Shattenkirk and Beleskey...22 man roster...ignoring performance bonuses, that leaves us with 2.6 mil to sign lemieux and ADA without any future trades...

burying any forward to replace them with mckegg or nieves saves a few hundred K at best...and we only have 7 dmen so it makes no sense to bury smith cause he'd have to be replaced so you'd only save a few hundred K there too

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
The arguments regarding ADA and Lemieux are stupid. I've said it before and I'll say it again: they're both waiting to see if the Rangers can free up room to sign them to larger-AAV multi-year deals. If (when) no more space appears prior to camp, they'll both sign for what they can get (QO, maybe a few bucks higher) and play for better deals beginning next year. If they don't, they're idiots and/or their agents should be fired. I realize we're all chomping at the bit to see our CapFriendly page updated with numbers next to every player, but this is 95% the likely course of action, and since there's no upside in committing to it until you have to... they haven't.

As regards the topic, actually worth discussing: if I'm the Rangers I take advantage of the quirk the NHL scheduler gifted them by opening the season with the bare minimum 20-person roster to bank as much cap space as possible over the first 10 days. Presuming no trades do actually materialize involving any of the team's pending UFAs, I get there by assigning Smith and one of the rookie forwards to the AHL – depending on DQ's intentions of how to use them long-term, potentially merely as paper transactions, allowing them to stay up and practice with the big club.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The arguments regarding ADA and Lemieux are stupid. I've said it before and I'll say it again: they're both waiting to see if the Rangers can free up room to sign them to larger-AAV multi-year deals. If (when) no more space appears prior to camp, they'll both sign for what they can get (QO, maybe a few bucks higher) and play for better deals beginning next year. If they don't, they're idiots and/or their agents should be fired. I realize we're all chomping at the bit to see our CapFriendly page updated with numbers next to every player, but this is 95% the likely course of action, and since there's no upside in committing to it until you have to... they haven't.

As regards the topic, actually worth discussing: if I'm the Rangers I take advantage of the quirk the NHL scheduler gifted them by opening the season with the bare minimum 20-person roster to bank as much cap space as possible over the first 10 days. Presuming no trades do actually materialize involving any of the team's pending UFAs, I get there by assigning Smith and one of the rookie forwards to the AHL – depending on DQ's intentions of how to use them long-term, potentially merely as paper transactions, allowing them to stay up and practice with the big club.

I think the waiting to see is mutual...I think the rangers just as much as the players are in no rush to force those deals because if a trade pops up that opens space to sign them for multiple years that would be ideal. its probably not likely to happen but it doesn't matter if they sign those deals today or the day before camp starts

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Both players are 23 and without arbitration rights. ADA has played 60 more NHL games, but both players have only played 1 full NHL season, and ADA's season had its share of ups and downs. He has no reason to feel disrespected. Sign the contract and earn the payday.
No, I get that. As I said, if both players were offered their QOs and nothing more it's not a sign of disrespect. But if both players are offered more than their QO, but both offered the same amount I would say it's disrespectful.

Lemieux has been almost exclusively a 4th liner in the NHL whereas DeAngelo was the 1B defenceman (to Skjei's 1A) in the latter half of the season.

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
It would be best for both parties if these guys signed and showed up ready to go for camp. Look how it affected Nylander last year. It took him a while to get going. At least in his case he knew he was holding out for a long term deal. DeAngelo and Lemieux are only going to receive short term deals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad