Speculation: Roster Building Thread III (2021 Offseason) - “Simple Jack”, "Will over Skill", "Drury in a Hurry"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
LOL @ Simple Jack

840C2D3C-0EB6-4803-A6CE-574669098AF3.gif

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Coyotes throwing their hat in the ring for Eichel. Wonder what they're putting together in an offer?
They don’t have the juice. I’d image something around Keller or Dvorak. I think with a normal length season and correct divisions, they aren’t even a playoff team

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
There will be a lot of teams in on Eichel
I still only see 4-5 serious bidders. A lot of teams may want to add him. But I doubt they get far in discussions. I mean who wouldn’t want to at a 24-25 yr old 40/40 center that can get better if he’s traded and motivated instead of death by a thousand cuts in buffalo? Presumably he’s fully healed from injury. If he is back to 100% healthy when he comes back from injury and rangers don’t make a a legit offer for him, they are dumb. Plain and simple. This isn’t some over the hill player like St. Louis that you might get 2 seasons out of. He’s going thru his prime and possibly getting better. This is not Nash, Richards, Gaborik,etc any of that. This is like the stars trading for Seguin, but jack is the superior player.
This kinda of reminds me of the discussions we had about signing Panarin. I know UFA and trade is different so please, spare me the it’s just cash. But there were plenty on here who did not want the rangers to sign Panarin. You know who you are..... the premise is the same to me. Your taking a chance on adding an Elite talent to shore up the biggest positional weakness for the next half decade. I’m not saying trade LaF or Kakko or empty the cupboard, but yes if he comes back healthy I make a legit offer for him. Apparently the rangers agree with me since they did as well last summer.
The biggest tipping point for me is that our chances of landing Barkov grow more grim by the day. If florida came out and sucked this year, things would look a lot more realistic on that front. And I’ve said it 100 times. If Jack is healthy, I that him at 10mill per for 5 years at 25-30 rather then Mika at 9.5-10 mill per from 30-35. Ten outta ten times and I don’t look back

Last edited:
Reactions: Lundsanity30

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I still only see 4-5 serious bidders. A lot of teams may want to add him. But I doubt they get far in discussions. I mean who wouldn’t want to at a 24-25 yr old 40/40 center that can get better if he’s traded and motivated instead of death by a thousand cuts in buffalo? Presumably he’s fully healed from injury. If he is back to 100% healthy when he comes back from injury and rangers don’t make a a legit offer for him, they are dumb. Plain and simple. This isn’t some over the hill player like St. Louis that you might get 2 seasons out of. He’s going thru his prime and possibly getting better

I mean I agree there are certain levels of
“in”

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I'm intrigued by Nolan Patrick.

In some of my fantasy league days, I shied away from David Perron because he had some serious concussion issues.

Hes carved out a hell of a career for himself .

With Patrick back a full year now, maybe he's on the road to recovery and while he may never fully live up to the #2 OA billing he had when drafted, he could be a nice little buy low type of player for us

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Flyers yes but are they out offering LA? Anaheim could put together a nice package but where are they at in their rebuild where they are gonna expend the assets for Eichel? They are also not a big money team.
Ana has internal cap and are in middle of a rebuild. There’s a snowballs chance in hell they pony up the assets to land Eichel and invest 50 million in him for the next 5 years with almost nothing else around him. Throw sens in that boat too. Internal cap teams are only in for show

Reactions: TheBloodyNine

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Has there been any messaging from the team or from trusted sources on what’s gonna happen with Mika? I assume they’ll be discussing an extension. Do they have to wait til January to do anything officially? Or can they do a deal, in theory, right now?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Has there been any messaging from the team or from trusted sources on what’s gonna happen with Mika? I assume they’ll be discussing an extension. Do they have to wait til January to do anything officially? Or can they do a deal, in theory, right now?
I would think they wanna see Mika not in 20-21 before they make a decision.

That version of Mika isn't even worth negotiating with but it would be best for both sides to see if that's behind him.

Reactions: jay from jersey

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Ana has internal cap and are in middle of a rebuild. There’s a snowballs chance in hell they pony up the assets to land Eichel and invest 50 million in him for the next 5 years with almost nothing else around him. Throw sens in that boat too. Internal cap teams are only in for show
I’m not the guy to do it, but I reckon a mildly thorough look into each team’s cap situation, internal and external, would really clarify who will be in on Eichel. It’s probably a pretty small group.

Personally, I think it’s probably a great buy-low opportunity. But of course that remains to be seen.

Reactions: jay from jersey

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
So the other thread closed before I could respond to @GAGLine.

What exactly to you expect David Poile to say about Ekholm? Yeah, we’re shopping him in the middle of a playoff run. He’s short term? C’mon man.

Poile has to protect his players. He’s not saying or doing anything that will upset a team that was on a run to the playoffs. He also knows that he is headed to expansion draft hell if he only protects four forwards. He tried that last time and lost one of the most important players on his team.

IF Ekholm is available (big IF) the Rangers should definitely be in play. They desperately need another veteran stud on defense. Ekholm would come in on a value contract that gives the young defensemen time to simmer in Hartford. He would also be an excellent mentor to Lundkvist. He could very well be here additional years.

The Rangers have more prospects than they have places to slot them in the lineup and a real need to take a step forward next year.
The article you referenced talked about a team possibly having two playoff runs with Ekholm. Big difference this off season. I’ll pay the price and bring in a player that would definitely make a difference in the team.

Go big or go home.

As I asked in the other thread, what are you giving up to get him? You seem to think he'll come cheap because of Nashville's situation, but I highly doubt that will be the case.

If Ekholm is here for additional years beyond the one he is contracted for, then how long do you plan to let the kids simmer in Hartford? How much do you plan to pay on his next contract and for how many years?

These are important questions which I feel like you are ignoring. Yes, Ekholm would fit very well on this team. That doesn't mean he will be cheap to acquire or worth a long term investment. If he is available (as you said, big IF), there will be other teams interested in him.

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
I'm intrigued by Nolan Patrick.

In some of my fantasy league days, I shied away from David Perron because he had some serious concussion issues.

Hes carved out a hell of a career for himself .

With Patrick back a full year now, maybe he's on the road to recovery and while he may never fully live up to the #2 OA billing he had when drafted, he could be a nice little buy low type of player for us

"buying low" on him will still cost you a legit asset.

Plus if Philly moves him I'd imagine they much prefer to move him out west, if he turns it on you can't have him terrorizing you in your division.

Reactions: pld459666

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

That version of Mika isn't even worth negotiating with but it would be best for both sides to see if that's behind him.
That’s the rub. There are definitely question marks. But also they should be able to get a more team-friendly deal now. Assuming the CBA even allows an extension now.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
That’s the rub. There are definitely question marks. But also they should be able to get a more team-friendly deal now. Assuming the CBA even allows an extension now.
The could get a more team-friendly deal now, sure, but if 20-21 is what Mika is long-term, I don't want any part of that for 6-8 years, even if we save a million and a half.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Flyers yes but are they out offering LA? Anaheim could put together a nice package but where are they at in their rebuild where they are gonna expend the assets for Eichel? They are also not a big money team.

In terms of "now" players? Yeah.

We don't know what Buffalo's ask is. If they want guys who can step in and help right now, the Flyers can put together a pretty competitive offer while still warding off Farabee.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I’m not the guy to do it, but I reckon a mildly thorough look into each team’s cap situation, internal and external, would really clarify who will be in on Eichel. It’s probably a pretty small group.

Personally, I think it’s probably a great buy-low opportunity. But of course that remains to be seen.

i did a quick look of potential teams who might inquire NYR, LAK, MINN, PHI? ANA Philly has around 12M for next year and the rest have 20+. The Rangers have the most with the Tony D buy out and could get even more moving Strome. It’ll come down to assets and if Buf would even trade him here

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

They really can't afford to wait and see. It's highly unlikely that they'd go into next season without making a decision on him. The time for selling significant players at the deadline is behind us, and we can't let him walk for nothing. The last thing we need is to be pressured into signing him as a UFA. Make the choice this summer. Sign him and trade him.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
The could get a more team-friendly deal now, sure, but if 20-21 is what Mika is long-term, I don't want any part of that for 6-8 years, even if we save a million and a half.

i assume you mean the Mika with Covid and not the guy averaging over a PPG since he got over it right?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
They really can't afford to wait and see. It's highly unlikely that they'd go into next season without making a decision on him. The time for selling significant players at the deadline is behind us, and we can't let him walk for nothing. The last thing we need is to be pressured into signing him as a UFA. Make the choice this summer. Sign him and trade him.
Why can't we just make the decision at the next dealdine?

He'll have less term, but teams offer more at the deadline, so it probably breaks even anyway.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
If Rangers are thinking they might not sign Zibanejad then they’re definitely going to make a big play for Eichel. You need at least one top center. We can’t go back to those days

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad