Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
because 50% retained is still double what he ended up getting
He had 11 teams approach him with some offering two year deals. I find it very hard to believe this was the best deal for him money wise. But it's a good career move.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
The Rangers like to give nice deals to questionable players and they are too doubtful of strong talent, if I had to make a totally baseless assumption about why they give contracts the way they do.

Hayes should not have been bridged because even if he stagnated he was still worth the deal he'd have gotten in dollars, and barring an outrageous decline would have had suitors if we wanted to move on.

Stepan was handled well. Kreider maybe could've gotten a few more years but was handled well. McDonagh and Zibanejad were grand slams.

Skjei's contract is awful. Not because he's bad but he makes a lot of money for how little he does. You could find a slightly worse Skjei for half the value, or less. The Rangers really like overpaying tweeners that "leave you wanting more" while they continually have doubts about clear talent.

Again, idk what conversations are going on behind closed doors and these are negotiations, but from what I can tell a great first step would be to stop giving big checks to mediocre players.
If our left defense depth makes large steps this season, I believe skjei is next to be moved either at the deadline or draft.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
What does a player like Shattenkirk with a chip on his shoulder even look like?

I like the guy, but he’s definitely not a heart on his sleeve type.
Agreed. And maybe he should do a little more soul searching to see how he was playing which made the choice on how to create space an easy one for Gorton.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The only reason Shatty should have been chosen was for the immediate cap space and the inability to make a trade right now

Let’s be real, not sure any rational person looks at Staal, Smith and him and says “yup Shattenkirk is the worst player of this group, he should go”

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest

I think probably pretty fair to say the FO has a chip on its shoulder too

I mean, I think he probably looks at a few other dead weight contracts and thinks he got the short end of the stick. He's not wrong.

I think he's still a Ranger if we have fair-value offers on the table for Kreider/Strome/Namestnikov. But, buying out him was the simplest way to be able to remain patient with all those other potential trades.

This is why he should have just taken the 7x7 deal that was on the table. There's no way Buffalo is buying him out after only 2 years.

That lack of foresight cost him a lot of money. He would need to make an AAV of $6.375M per year for the 4 years after this one in order to catch up to what he would have made. Not likely.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
The comments are not surprising and quite honestly expected. I do wish we were able to keep him so he can rebuild his value, but at the end of the day i am not losing sleep over the Rangers choosing to buyout him over Smith or Staal. Shattenkirk gave them the most flexibility so that should they continue trade negotiations, Gorton isnt backed into a corner getting value back on Namestnikov, Strome, or Kreider right now. Deadline is a different story as teams will have more cap space then. But right now you needed to get some leverage back. Even at 50% retained on Shattenkirk’s deal what were you realistically getting back for him? A 3rd rounder? 4th? His value is at an all time low. Meanwhile now with the cap space, you may be able to get a 3rd rounder back for Namestnikov with no money retained.

Wish Shatty the best of luck. Just not against us.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
It didn't work out for both sides and both sides probably made a bad decision based on a hope that wasn't realistic. Rangers shouldn't have signed him, they should have been going into their rebuild then. Not sure what they mean by Shattenkirk not liking the Rangers rebuild but whatever, that's probably more of a "I signed when I thought they were a contender and instead they went into rebuild mode" but that's what happens when you have a terrible season after you said you'd give it "one more kick at the can". Shattenirk should have been realistic about the state of the team as should have the Rangers.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The only reason Shatty should have been chosen was for the immediate cap space and the inability to make a trade right now

Let’s be real, not sure any rational person looks at Staal, Smith and him and says “yup Shattenkirk is the worst player of this group, he should go”
Smith, maybe not. Staal? This has been debated to death, but it's not like one greatly outperformed the other. Chances are that Staal fills the veteran leadership, elder statesman role and Smith is the 12th forward/7th defenseman. Once Fox was traded for, the Rangers had their 3 RD defenseman. The music stopped and there were no chairs available to Shattenkirk.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
I hope there's a happy ending somewhere with Shattenkirk and the Rangers. Maybe down the road he becomes part of the organization ala Glass and Ortmeyer. He's a good hockey guy and a good guy in general.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
And what is the logic behind trading skjei?
If our kids Lindgren etc prove they can hold down positions, skjei can be moved for a #2 center or 1st rounder. I don’t get the feeling he’s gonna progress further to the point of great value. It’s the old Montreal model. Be able to cash in on assets that aren’t significant enough to continue to invest in.

wafflepadsave

May 28, 2011
Franklin, Tn
he's a limited, unimpressive player that makes a lot of money.
He’s really a good skater and can recover well but at some point he has to be able make less mistakes so he doesn’t have to recover in the first place. Good kid but unless he gets a mentor to work on his confidence to attack and vision to make better plays with the puck, I don’t yet see him as dynamic.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not a good look for someone to complain after a huge free payday and they get to continue their career for a contender on top of it

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Shattenkirk came home and forgot how to be a pro. Showed up to camp out of shape, hurts himself, doesnt sit out when he gets hurt, ends up getting operated on late in the season, isn't in shape to start last year and has a poor year. I'm not feeling sorry for him, it was great that he came home and all but after not playing well in Washington he should have treated this like a 2nd chance,came to camp ready and been his best. I never saw his best in NY. He should have been our Trouba but we had to go looking for one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad