Not open for further replies.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
giphy.gif

Reactions: Miamipuck

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Everything's dead, I suspect we won't hear anything until the Rangers actually announce it.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I just don't see why management would be opposed to buying out the most buyout friendly contract in Staal's +2.8 +2.4 -1.2 -1.2 contract unless they're still in love with him. Cap crunch or not, this is great to clear out a contract and player and -1.2 in years 3 and 4 really wouldn't hurt at all.If there's no trade, I don't see why they wouldn't at least start with Staal and then give themselves tons of options to clear another $2M with minor trade.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I just don't see why management would be opposed to buying out the most buyout friendly contract in Staal's +2.8 +2.4 -1.2 -1.2 contract unless they're still in love with him. Cap crunch or not, this is great to clear out a contract and player and -1.2 in years 3 and 4 really wouldn't hurt at all.If there's no trade, I don't see why they wouldn't at least start with Staal and then give themselves tons of options to clear another $2M with minor trade.

Maybe they like his leadership, plus the fact there isn't a lot of competition on the left side right now.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

It's the "intangibles" and "leadership" thing that teams still value. Which I'd be vaguely OK with if Staal didn't make a ton of money and still get more minutes than he should.

Not a lot of vet leadership on D right now in general so eh

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If they do nothing today I might have to take a hiatus from this place. The hot takes are going to be too spicy.

We're gonna be stuck dressing 15 man rosters like the NJ Devils did post Kovy signing. :sarcasm:

Reactions: Trxjw

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
cVqxYZO.png

I think the extra 1.4 we save this year with the Shatty buyout is the key, because next year we have a lot of stuff coming off (Beleskey, most of the Girardi money) and no big players to sign (Strome and Fast should make around the same or less).

It almost guarantees we have a janky bottom six next year, but this year they could be looking at that 1.4 for locking up Lemieux/ADA, taking a player for Kreider or Vlad, retaining on Vlad etc

Reactions: Tob

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
cVqxYZO.png

I think the extra 1.4 we save this year with the Shatty buyout is the key, because next year we have a lot of stuff coming off (Beleskey, most of the Girardi money) and no big players to sign (Strome and Fast should make around the same or less).

It almost guarantees we have a janky bottom six next year, but this year they could be looking at that 1.4 for locking up Lemieux/ADA, taking a player for Kreider or Vlad, retaining on Vlad etc

1.4? 2.4? Either way, I don't think we're going to get a great market for Vlad at the deadline unless he bounces back. Buyout Staal, retain 50% on Vlad and be done with it. If we're not getting a good 1st+prospect deal for Kreider, I'd want to keep Shattenkirk who will rebound and have value and keep Kreider and sell at a low $2.4 with 50% retained at the deadline for a real deal. This rebuild needs more 1st rounders and prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad