Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If the best offer he could get was a 1 year 1.75 mil deal then that’s gotta mean that at 2 years and what 3.5 mil or so (us retaining 50%) wasn’t possible. I’m still really shocked we couldn’t move him at that price. He’s not that bad still can put up pts on a good teams’s powerplay and is a righty dman. Man he really scared teams off.

Reactions: Edge

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If the best offer he could get was a 1 year 1.75 mil deal then that’s gotta mean that at 2 years and what 3.5 mil or so (us retaining 50%) wasn’t possible. I’m still really shocked we couldn’t move him at that price. He’s not that bad still can put up pts on a good teams’s powerplay and is a righty dman. Man he really scared teams off.

He could of taken less to be on a Good team too...he’s getting paid by NYR and Florida tax helps

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
Now girardi Boyle sign with us and it’s been a perfect offseason.

Yes I mean it.

Don’t even bother flaming me for it. It’s not gonna change my mind

There was something unquie about the culture of the 2010-2015 rangers. They played a certain way consistently because of a mindset and belief in way to compete and why you compete that made them better than the sum of their parts. And made careers for a lot of them. It was an x-factor that somehow needs to be ingrained and rubbed off on by the new blood or else they will be just another NHL team. There was something special about the way they grouped believed and competed and why they were able to win all of the those seven games series and 2 3-1 series comebacks.

Boyle and girardi along with staal and hank still here can bring that into the locker room during a very formative time of this next eras development. They don’t need to be alpha dogs on the ice bc we’ve got young bucks in Mika/panarin and trouba/skjei who should be able to shoulder a lot of that.

It’s a perfect situation for us and depending what’s out there term wise for them, perfect for them. Full circle.

I understand where you are coming from, but I think the natural question after "How did the Rangers comeback and win all of those 7 game series?" is "Why did it always take 7 games for NYR to put away an opponent?"

I think that "X-Factor" was "Henrik Lundqvist", who covered defensive warts and allowed a run of the mill forward corp with an offensively enhanced system post-Torts to run it's course. His GSAA is a testament to that.

Tampa, just like NYR hasn't been able to get over the hump either, despite being a superior team on paper to what NYR ever was. I'm not sure all of their ex-Ranger glue-guys are the solution. I think it's more important to let youngsters like Andersson, Howden, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lemeiux and Kakko establish the culture moving forward.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I guess the Rangers really couldn't get anyone to take Shattenkirk even with 50% retained.

There's no reason to trade anything serious for a player you know is pretty likely going to be bought out. That way you don't take on the whole cap hit or at best 50% and you don't lose any assets. Tampa doesn't have a lot of money to throw around either and they still have Brayden Point to re-sign.

Reactions: nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Well, the buyout "solved" the cap crunch in a single move. Trading Shattenkirk at 50% for crap doesn't solve the problem, even if we found a way to take no salary back. So it's possible there was a deal to be made, but the Rangers figured it would be better for this year and only mildly worse for next year to simply exercise a buyout.

That said, I don't think there was a deal. I know we all have a tendency to believe our guy at 50% can be moved, but he probably can't. Whether it's Shattenkirk, Staal, Girardi, etc. Seems like a lot of teams are tight against the cap, and don't particularly have any desire to shop in the 50% off aisle for mediocre/crappy players.

If I were the Lightning GM looking at the Rangers situation and figuring they're buying out Shattenkirk--I'd rather not trade for Shatty at 50% retained costing a $3.3 mil approx cap hit and say Carter Verhaeghe. He saves cap this way and keeps his prospect too. The Rangers though get their cap relief and it's better this way for us too.

Reactions: nyr2k2

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I said if before, I would be fine with Girardi as a 7th defenseman here but I just dont think that would realistically happen. He is a great lockerroom presence and a coaches player, which is why he would end up getting minutes.

I love Boyle. Been an advocate for him to come back. But there is no room if you want Andersson or Kravtsov here to start the year. And thats with them potentially moving out Namestnikov.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Chytil-Kakko
Strome-Howden/Lias-Kravtsov
Lemmy-Lias-Howden-Fast
Namestnikov

No room as of right now for Boyle who isnt a 13th forward.

Reactions: Kupo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Now girardi Boyle sign with us and it’s been a perfect offseason.

Yes I mean it.

Don’t even bother flaming me for it. It’s not gonna change my mind

There was something unquie about the culture of the 2010-2015 rangers. They played a certain way consistently because of a mindset and belief in way to compete and why you compete that made them better than the sum of their parts. And made careers for a lot of them. It was an x-factor that somehow needs to be ingrained and rubbed off on by the new blood or else they will be just another NHL team. There was something special about the way they grouped believed and competed and why they were able to win all of the those seven games series and 2 3-1 series comebacks.

Boyle and girardi along with staal and hank still here can bring that into the locker room during a very formative time of this next eras development. They don’t need to be alpha dogs on the ice bc we’ve got young bucks in Mika/panarin and trouba/skjei who should be able to shoulder a lot of that.

It’s a perfect situation for us and depending what’s out there term wise for them, perfect for them. Full circle.
I'm not going to flame you, but I do think it's a poor idea. I got into the Boyle debate days ago, and while I'm wholeheartedly opposed, I can at least understand where people are coming from. Girardi, all he does is occupy a spot. And I know we'll hear, "he's just the 7th D, he'll be scratched most nights!", but like most over-the-hill spare parts we sign, he'll end up playing every day because Good Locker Room Guy.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
You guys know now that their draft pics are no longer tethered to winning the Cup, they're now going to win the Cup. It doesn't matter that the Lightning are softer than a loose bowel movement, you watch this playoffs.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
E8xkBE7.png

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I said if before, I would be fine with Girardi as a 7th defenseman here but I just dont think that would realistically happen. He is a great lockerroom presence and a coaches player, which is why he would end up getting minutes.

I love Boyle. Been an advocate for him to come back. But there is no room if you want Andersson or Kravtsov here to start the year. And thats with them potentially moving out Namestnikov.

I like Boyle if he turns into a 3rd round pick at the deadline lol...........gotta move someone out before adding another F and considering I am sure they tried already it's not going to be easy.............They already have Strome, Namestnikov and likely Fast to trade at the deadline.

Nieves or McKegg can hang out as the 13th F.

Also what is Lemieux going to get? 1 yr at like 1.25" .........can't be much more........

DeAngelo 2 yr bridge deal would be nice then he's likely going in Expansion if Hajek or another young D step up. Lundqvist makes sense in 2 yrs on the RD with Trouba and Fox....maybe even Keane

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
11 teams interested and not one will do 50% retained for the remainder of his deal

f***ing unbelievable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille