Speculation: Roster Building Thread I (2019/2020) - A Day in the Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Why not? It illustrates the dichotomy. They were both RFA, traded for each other and both put on the trade block again.

When you hurt your cap so much you buyout players who could have sheltered youth as well, you can't afford insurance policies. It's not a Namestnikov issue, it's a cap issue. I'm surprised people are defending his spot on the team so strongly when we have cap issues and a GM actively shopping him. No one wants him here except the people defending every Gorton decision. He is a good role player on a team that can afford his bloated cap.

You’re talking Shattenkirk? He’d be more redundant than Namestnikov and everything- his contract, term and living up to this contact has been worse compared to Namestnikov.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not a good look for someone to complain after a huge free payday and they get to continue their career for a contender on top of it

He literally just flamed out of his dream job and was bought out instead of clearly inferior options.

Yes there are more circumstances involved than just performance, but he has every right to be pissed. @Levitate nailed it though, not only should JG passed on Shatty 2 years ago, but Shatty should have been realistic about where the team was at and passed on them.

Reactions: Miamipuck

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Well he should be at least partly pissed at himself. If (operative word) he didn't show up for his first year in his best shape that's on him--playing on an injury that was more and more debilitating is at least partly if not wholly on him depending on what the Rangers coaching and medical staff knew and if I remember they were kind of pissed at him about it.

True that he gave us a discount but he well underachieved the Rangers expectations in his two years. He was supposed to be that main right shot power play producing point man and help to keep our playoff window open. He wasn't reliable defensively and the offense wasn't there so as things worked out the Rangers decided to get rid of underachieving vets and go younger---go in a different direction. He's better off with a better team that cover up his weaknesses and maybe he'll put his offensive game back together. We'll see but two of the guys he's going to be fighting with for ice time on the right side are Sergachev (who also has defensive issues) and Cernak.

Procrastinator

Aug 7, 2005
He literally just flamed out of his dream job and was bought out instead of clearly inferior options.

Yes there are more circumstances involved than just performance, but he has every right to be pissed. @Levitate nailed it though, not only should JG passed on Shatty 2 years ago, but Shatty should have been realistic about where the team was at and passed on them.

He may of had rosey colored glasses cause he was coming home but his agent should of certainly been chirping in his ear.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Are we going to say the same thing about Panarin down the road?

I hope not.

I do think that you can make the case that it made much more sense for Panarin to sign here than it did for Shattenkirk. This team was clearly on the downswing when he signed (and this isn't hindsight, a bunch of us saw this coming.)

This iteration of the Rangers is loaded with young talent. It shouldn't be long until they're competitive again.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
If the best offer he could get was a 1 year 1.75 mil deal then that’s gotta mean that at 2 years and what 3.5 mil or so (us retaining 50%) wasn’t possible. I’m still really shocked we couldn’t move him at that price. He’s not that bad still can put up pts on a good teams’s powerplay and is a righty dman. Man he really scared teams off.

I think the salary was doable in the right circumstances. But that second year was not a scenario that teams were going to be thrilled about right now.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I hope not.

I do think that you can make the case that it made much more sense for Panarin to sign here than it did for Shattenkirk. This team was clearly on the downswing when he signed (and this isn't hindsight, a bunch of us saw this coming.)

This iteration of the Rangers is loaded with young talent. It shouldn't be long until they're competitive again.

Pretty sure Panarin knows what he signed up for. It's going to be a young team and there are going to be growing pains. He's a player who also works well with others--he knows how to use his teammates. There are no injury and I don't expect there will be any conditioning issues with him either. He's a legit 1st line wing--Shatty was never really a legit 1st pairing D.

Reactions: Cag29
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad