Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXVIII: Preparing for a huge letdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
How can you honestly say every UFA signing for the past five years has been a disaster are you serious? You really don't think the Rangers need a power-play quarterback right now one that could put up 55 points? Have you seen this team's power-play over the last five years it's an absolute joke

wait just a second. joke ?? seriously.

ryan mcdonagh has been the pp point man on that pp sir. and he's really, really um.... good on the powerplay.

or something.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
If Shattenkirk has a 7x7 deal on the table (I bet you it's with the Devils'), he will probably take it

I also don't see the plan here to get "younger" by cutting bait with Stepan, and then immediately be willing to hand Thornton and Marleau contracts

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
wait just a second. joke ?? seriously.

ryan mcdonagh has been the pp point man on that pp sir. and he's really, really um.... good on the powerplay.

or something.

Have you looked at the power play numbers during the postseason these past five years it's the number one thing that has killed this team in the playoffs

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Have you looked at the power play numbers during the postseason these past five years it's the number one thing that has killed this team in the playoffs

Lmao odc is so far off AINEC.

Mac is awful manning the PP.

Yea lets see more of those pathetic wristers hoping for a deflection because zero velocity behind his slapshot nor can he get it through. He also goes braindead when carrying the puck up the ice after the Rangers classic drop pass to start the rush, with zero instincts to adjust when the opposing PKers are stifling it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Nope.

Come in with the $6.5x7

Almost every NHL insider has said that Ranger's are not going to offer him that so I'm not sure why you expect them too....

If the number the Rangers are comfortable at is 5x6 as Brooks has postured, he isn't signing with us.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Almost every NHL insider has said that Ranger's are not going to offer him that so I'm not sure why you expect them too....

If the number the Rangers are comfortable at is 5x6 as Brooks as postured, he isn't signing with us.
Because things change during the process of negotiations?

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
How can you honestly say every UFA signing for the past five years has been a disaster are you serious? You really don't think the Rangers need a power-play quarterback right now one that could put up 55 points? Have you seen this team's power-play over the last five years it's an absolute joke

It still will be with Arniel running the show.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Which is why building a ton of cap space to sign Tavares in the offseason would be the thing to do. Is that realistic, though?

Tavares hits free agency? That will go over well [insert random post from this off-season on how signing UFAs to long contracts is bad]

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
just heard bobby mac on xm. good interview.

he wasnt shy on his assessment of shatty either. it wasnt glowing. :laugh: he pretty much said he cannot defend 5v5. he cant play defense at even strength and is a pp guy only. he isnt anything near a 1st pair rd.

gonna get 6-7 for 6 or 7. thats a given. he's the best rh pp guy out there and he's very good in that role but at even strength, he's very average.

said the devils will make the bet offer as they have the cap and the need.

nothing new here. doesnt seem like theres a fit with us at all.

Hm but someone posted a chart stating otherwise?

I am just being sarcastic. There is nothing wrong with Shattenkirks game, I think Pierre and McKenzie is a bit unfair calling him a 5-6 D five on five. But, it's a really long commitment at a very high price. I would be fine with that if we got a good PMD that was a great PPQB at 27 y/o. But, Shatty is just not a very good PMD either coming out of his own end. He is very conservative in his play, it's so obvious that he has played so long under Hitchcook. You will see a nice stretch pass every once in a while. But in the game today, there is just so much room for a D to go down in his own end with speed, pick up the puck and turn up ice avoiding the first forecheckers while quickly delivering that opening first pass that AV loves. Shatty plays these situations like Kevin Klein, or that is a bit unfair but almost. He will do what Hitch has thought him, don't risk a thing. Go deep, make a safe play. Never challenge the forechecker. There is also a ton of room for Ds joining the attack in today's game. It's really what works today, again this is an area where Shatty has played a conservative style his entire career. Get deep, slow down the pace, get open on the point and take it from there. With elite talent it can be effective still -- but mostly you end up facing a collected D and it's very hard to be effective.

For it that does it, just don't like to lounge into the market making a huge acquisition that will be a big part of this team until 2024 that just is a bit out dated 2017. Don't like it.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Looking at the bigger UFA signings the last 5 years, they certainly have a horrendous track record...

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I get trading Stepan to get future assets, but why the hell did we buy out Girardi on top of it if this was a transition year?. literally zero reason to buy him out, he would have been cheaper to do it next year, if they're doing nothing with the 20M of cap space they have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad