Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Wait, the Rangers wouldn't give up an asset to keep Vegas from taking Lindberg during the expansion draft, but they will be willing to do it after the fact?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Wait, the Rangers wouldn't give up an asset to keep Vegas from taking Lindberg during the expansion draft, but they will be willing to do it after the fact?

because theyd just lose someone else if they said dont take Lindberg.

Asset + player loss in scenario 1.

Asset alone in scenario 2.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I think what people are missing about Gorton is that IMO he's trying to thread the needle. The Rangers are going get younger but still attempt to contend. Movng Stepan doesn't mean blowing it up. For whatever value we as fans thought he had, Gorton believed Stepan was an asset of declining value. By the end of the playoffs, Stepan had been supplanted by Zibanejad as the #1 center. So, now Gorton has to replace his 2nd line center, not his first. And obviously the fear for Gorton was having Stepan's value decline even further. July 1 was a deadline, but even moreso was the draft. They targeted Pettersson and needed that pick at 7 to get in the conversation. Glass and Andersson were the backup plans.

Well said Jas...couldn't agree with your comments more especially the part that it's not easy to do what JG is attempting to do which is replenish at same time as keep our team competitive and playoff worthy. I said similiar thing to Silverfish. Gorton's moves so far IMO have been exemplary. I think he's hit some home runs, double and a few singles so far since he got the keys to the car.

The only strikeout I can think of is Pirri. But for most part, I can't think of one move he's made including this current deal of Steps and Raanta to 'Zona for Andersson, DeAngelo and 6.5 million in cap space.

Let's see what he does July 1 with this extra money, than we can make a bit better judgegement on whether this dealing of Steps made sense. I think it will as I expect JG to sign a Shatty, re-sign a Smith and get a Bonino or Hanzel and he'll still have money left over. He does that, than this deal was excellent as we still would have Andersson waiting in wings as well. And all this for a declining Stepan.

JG has earned out trust. I think we should continue to trust he'll thread the needle as you say and we'll once again have a very competitive playoff worthy hockey team we can be proud of. Will it win a Cup? Who the **** knows. Probably not. But at least we'll be very entertaining and a pain in the ass for our opposition to play....haha

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
because theyd just lose someone else if they said dont take Lindberg.

Asset + player loss in scenario 1.

Asset alone in scenario 2.

So? If Lindberg was that important, you make arrangements to keep him. I don't think the Rangers are willing to part with assets in either case.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Read that Yakupov isn't being qualified. There's a guy I'd take on a 2-year, ~$1.5MM AAV contract. Definition of a lottery ticket, only costs $600K if you bury him, and if it's not working out he may want to be released to go back to Russia anyway.

Onboard with this. Another low risk high reward move.

Evander Kane on the wing and JT in the Pivot? Low acquisition cost and hopefully motivated player going into contract year

Can't tell you how much I'd love Evander Kane on this team

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
Their situation in 2015 was way different.

They were a legit contender and had a rookie C playing top 9 minutes. Putting Hanzal on his wing to insulate him a bit made a ton of sense (then he went out and had season ending surgery.) Hanzal made as a "final piece" could have been great, if he didn't get hurt.

This current group is not a legitimate contender. Adding him now (when hes older and will be more expensive) makes no sense.

OK. Do not disagree. Do not you think Rangers could use someone of similar skillset as their 3C to complement Hayes and Zibanejad?

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
What's the cap impact of Thornton signing a two-year deal, playing one year, deciding he can't do another and going on LTIR or retiring?

If the player retires: Cap hit remains, but the players salary drops off...Basically it's dead cap space.
If the player goes on LTIR: Same as usual LTIR activity

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
is this actually the rule? I thought that Vegas couldn't just buy out the contract until the following offseason?

It is not. Some tweets today clarified that the league just has to be satisfied that the reacquisition wasn't arranged between the two teams prior to the ED

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What's the cap impact of Thornton signing a two-year deal, playing one year, deciding he can't do another and going on LTIR or retiring?

If he retires, we are stuck with the cap hit. If he goes on LTIR, we are stuck with the cap hit, but we'll be able to exceed the cap during the season based on where we are in regards to the salary cap at the time he is placed on LTIR.

If his cap hit is 4 mil and we are at 73 mil when he goes on LTIR, we can spend up to 77 mil, 2 mil over the cap. LTIR cap space is use it or lose it. We can't bank it and use it at the end of the year for a deadline deal. Most teams will get as close as possible to the cap before placing the player on LTIR so they can maximum the amount of LTIR money. It isn't ideal, but it's better than him retiring on a 35+ contract.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
Yak has never played in the AHL. I think it would be good for him. Promising baseball players who "can't figure it out" and have .200 batting averages and 7.00 ERAs go down all the time.

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Jonathan Willis of Sportsnet/Yahoo claiming there is heavy interest in Girardi, multiple teams, and Girardi is "likely to get a multi-year deal".

Can't link from twitter at work, but go check out the feed @JonathanWillis

If true, like, really? We couldn't get a team to bite on a dumb trade? So where are all the MFers who want Marc Staal? There has to be an idiot GM out there somewhere.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I cant answer all of this because im getting back to work but;

I dont like Bonino and what he will command over a longer term.

I think the part about Joe having to move his family back East is being overplayed. It is the last few years of his career and if there is a fit somewhere he will go. Dan Boyle did it. It has been rumored yesterday by I believe Pagnotta who said Joe would be interested in playing for Montreal so I dont think staying in SJ is holding him back.

I would be willing to give him $4 for 2 years with the incentive of playing for a great organization in NY, an original 6, a team that can still compete for a cup, and to play with one of his best friends in Nash.

4 mill for 2 for Jumbo Joe...huh? arggg...tempting I admit but I'd have to turn it down. More tempting to me would be if Joe would come here for 3.0-3.5 for 2, than if I'm Gorton and see Thornton skating and it looks like he's somewhat back to his former self, than maybe just maybe I pull the trigger.

I just don't see Joe coming for less than 4 mill per. But as I said, I would be intrigued if Joe wanted badly to play for us, convinced JG that this is the way he wanted to go out...with a winner and he'd come in for 3.0 for 2....wow...I have to admit as adament as I am about not bringing in Joe unless it was for one year, if he lowered his demands to the low 3's and for just a two year commitment, I might be willling to join RY's bandwagon and champion Joe coming on board.

He'd have to sign some sort of waver tho that if he's still hurt and can't come back by 11-15, contract is null and void. Less than that, I'd have to walk away.

Seeing that everything I just said about Joe coming to NY for less than 4 mill for 2 and he'll likely command 4.5 for 3, this is all fantasy and so I'm back on the Bonino and Hanzel wagon....sorry RY...you almost got me.....lol

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Jonathan Willis of Sportsnet/Yahoo claiming there is heavy interest in Girardi, multiple teams, and Girardi is "likely to get a multi-year deal".

If true, like, really? We couldn't get a team to bite on a dumb trade? So where are all the MFers who want Marc Staal? There has to be an idiot GM out there somewhere.

I'll believe it when I see it. By multi year, he might just be getting a 2 x $1M/year deal...

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Really hope we take care of Smith in the next couple days, then zero in on Shatty.

Come away with those two to start then turn the focus to Thornton/Sharp/Williams and Boyle

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

We might be the dumb MFers who want Marc Staal :help:

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol

Nick Holden has a multi-year deal. It's not like ridiculous that he has it, and is he better than G? Maybe by a little bit, yeah. That's the market he'll be in, not $5m/year

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Girardi at 2 years for the league minimum is a fine defenseman.

#7..good in the locker room, etc.

DG playing on your first pair RD is NOT good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad