Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He is perfect in today's NHL. The NHL today is different than the NHL of 10Y ago.

Gentleman, if that was the case and you both truly believe Zherdev woul be much more effective in this "new" NHL than the one he left 7 years ago, than you guys aren't paying attention no offense.

From my recollections of the guy despite his enormous talent he had the hockey IQ of a cucumber. He never back checked, he was a puck hog and he seemed undisciplined.

I recall having him on my fantasy team back when he was a rookie in '03 when he was Columbus and recall having a very nice man crush on the kid and thought he was going to be a star. Despite some nice moments and some pretty decent years he just never could fully put it together.

So gentleman let me ask you this, if Zherdev would be so successful in this new NHL we live in with all these fancy advanced stats, why isn't he playing in the NHL right now like a Radulov is?

Has his non interest in playing defense and being a puck hog changed in the 7 years he's been gone that you guys are aware of? How would that work out on most teams in the NHL even if he did take 250 shots a year but had a minus 25 while playing at even strength.

I don't know fellas, I think you boys are severely overrating Zherdev and what he'd do now. If he was so good, he'd be here.. Listen I loved the kid for quite a few years and was glad the Rangers traded for him even for Tytutin who I also liked but i'm not happy with what he became. All you have to do is take a look at Yakupov. No thanks fellas.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Bonino is an intriguing option. He would cost an extra as a UFA with two SC rings but to me he'd worth it to be a 2/3 C with Hayes during regular season who can step up his game in playoffs. Grabner/Bonino/Fast. The question is the contract length and how much is the "extra".

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Zherdev never showed an effort required to be successful in the NHL and he's had well documented issues with alcoholism.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
We just traded him away

giphy.gif

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Stars Place Niemi on Waivers, Buyout Coming

http://thehockeywriters.com/stars-place-niemi-on-waivers-buyout-coming/

Pierre LeBrun followed that up by mentioning that the Stars would’ve obviously loved to trade the netminder, but that no takers came forward. Part of that is because of his contract – with the assumption being that he’ll be available for cheaper with free agency looming.

The buyout will cost the Stars two-thirds of his remaining $4.5-million contract (so $3 million) over two years. In other words, Dallas has $1.5 million in cap hit committed to Niemi’s buyout for two years.

Griffinbw

Feb 19, 2016
Atlanta
Ok so I'm going to pipe in on this stepan debate

Is Stepan a 1C?
Yes. Absolutely

Is stepan a 1C in our system?
No

What we need, and what we see in most modern 1Cs is a high scoring output. Stepan clearly didn't have that. Hes a fantastic 2 way center, but he just didn't fill our need at center.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Ok so I'm going to pipe in on this stepan debate

Is Stepan a 1C?
Yes. Absolutely

Is stepan a 1C in our system?
No

What we need, and what we see in most modern 1Cs is a high scoring output. Stepan clearly didn't have that. Hes a fantastic 2 way center, but he just didn't fill our need at center.

Exactly! I love Stepan ... probably more than most people and I was highly critical of his play last year and STILL love the guy aside from that. He's a fantastic 2 way player, scored some big goals, and is an all around great guy to have on your team. Having said that, I always wanted this team to find a 1C that can compete with Crosby / Toews / Tavares etc and push Stepan into the 2C slot where he would be so much better than his competition (aside from Malkin and MacKinnon)

The modern day center needs to have that high production output. Not everyone has that ... that is true, but if you want to compete with Pittsburgh and Chicago and your goal is to win a Cup, I think it's paramount to have that production down the middle.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Bonino is an intriguing option. He would cost an extra as a UFA with two SC rings but to me he'd worth it to be a 2/3 C with Hayes during regular season who can step up his game in playoffs. Grabner/Bonino/Fast. The question is the contract length and how much is the "extra".

I just hope and pray Bonino doesn't get stupid and ask for something crazy like 5.0 or something over 4 or 5.

Some in here think he will.

I sniff around the Bonino camp if I'm JG as I've said quite a bit and see what the asking prices is. If it's over 3.75-3.8 x 4(yes I'm not having going to 4.0...gotta put a line in the sand)

If he balks and wants more than 4.0, If I'm JG I tell Bonino good luck and have a nice day as much as I'd like to have him. Got to be fiscally smart here.

I move on to Hanzel and if he gets stupid as well, I move on from him. I than turn to Gagne and I have a feeling he wouldn't be dumb enough to play hardball.

So unless there is some deal we don't know about or JT Miller is going to be our #2 or #3 center and we are getting a wing like a Justin Williams(I wouldn't mind him actually), than this is the route we are going.

Bottom line: When July 1 comes, Fix the back end first..that is the major priority...get Shatty, re-sign Smith and than get a center maybe tinker a bit here and there and we call it a day.

JG does this, I'm a happy camper especially cause I know we have two new shiny new toys we drafted that look like they will be contributors in the next 2-3 years.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Jonathan Willis of Sportsnet/Yahoo claiming there is heavy interest in Girardi, multiple teams, and Girardi is "likely to get a multi-year deal".

Can't link from twitter at work, but go check out the feed @JonathanWillis

If true, like, really? We couldn't get a team to bite on a dumb trade? So where are all the MFers who want Marc Staal? There has to be an idiot GM out there somewhere.

I think he winds up in Toronto.
Now watch him wind up in NJ and take out Nash in their first game against each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad