Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXXXIV: We have Cap space! Hoorraayy!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
good lord no to thornton. does not fit the narrative for this team.

faster, younger, cheaper, more skilled.

i am just as inclined to see what andersson brings in camp, give him a chance to win the 3C job, hopefully boo nieves grabs the 4C and plays it out to start the season with the middle looking like this.

mika
hayes
andersson
nieves

not even opposed to letting andersson beat out nieves for the 4C or visa versa if one doesnt show in camp and then adding a 3C to fill a spot for 1 -2 yrs.

not ideal not perfect but theres plenty of time to tweak the roster. lots of guys available after camps close and there will be guys who can play the 3C to be had.

if we add shattenkirk, resign smith and have deangelo in the top 6, im stoked with that defense enough to ride it out with the centerman we have.

it doesn't look that great on paper, lots of unknowns but were not smaller and were alot faster with those 4 guys in the middle.

seems to me that JG doesnt seem to concerned with even adding a true 1C. i think he thinks mika is exactly that now.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
If the Rangers are hypothetically moving McDonagh, there is no point in getting Bjugstad. Also Bjugstad isn't very good. That being said, I think it would be very wise for the Rangers for the Rangers to use McDonagh to get a Barkov or Trocheck headlined deal from the Panthers. Let them keep Bjugstad.

bjugstad is a cap dump... also has a cheaper buyout

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Why do people keep talking about making 3-4 big FA signings when Gorton probably isn't even done making trades yet?

McD37

Oct 10, 2016
I wouldn't be totally against that. The reality is, there is not alot of top tier centers available. So if we can't get Bonino and he wants too much money, Hanzel would be my 2nd choice and a two year deal would be great but I think Hanzel would want 3. Considering the options out there, I think so long as money was reasonablel...3.3-3.5 o so, I think I'd bring in Hanzel and hope he stayed healthy and with better players around him that he ever had, he'd be pretty productive(45-55 type guy). We'll see but not bad idea

Yeah, I really think Hanzal would be great fit here as a 3C. But it really depends on his contract demands. I also remember Rangers being interested in him in 2015.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Why do people keep talking about making 3-4 big FA signings when Gorton probably isn't even done making trades yet?

What other trades? Really would rather not gut the forward depth any more than we already have and we have nothing on defense. Only other trade Gorts should make is unloading Staal, unless some stupid overpayment comes along for someone else.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I think what people are missing about Gorton is that IMO he's trying to thread the needle. The Rangers are going get younger but still attempt to contend. Movng Stepan doesn't mean blowing it up. For whatever value we as fans thought he had, Gorton believed Stepan was an asset of declining value. By the end of the playoffs, Stepan had been supplanted by Zibanejad as the #1 center. So, now Gorton has to replace his 2nd line center, not his first. And obviously the fear for Gorton was having Stepan's value decline even further. July 1 was a deadline, but even moreso was the draft. They targeted Pettersson and needed that pick at 7 to get in the conversation. Glass and Andersson were the backup plans.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Yeah, I really think Hanzal would be great fit here as a 3C. But it really depends on his contract demands. I also remember Rangers being interested in him in 2015.

Their situation in 2015 was way different.

They were a legit contender and had a rookie C playing top 9 minutes. Putting Hanzal on his wing to insulate him a bit made a ton of sense (then he went out and had season ending surgery.) Hanzal made as a "final piece" could have been great, if he didn't get hurt.

This current group is not a legitimate contender. Adding him now (when hes older and will be more expensive) makes no sense.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Only thing is why would we want Stastny? In my opinion, he's basically an older Stepan with a little more injury concern.

I don't see ROR or Staal coming at the cost of a 25% retained Staal and Holden. They'll want more value. Plus those contracts are hefty.

Stastny and his 1 Year Contract != Stepan and his 4 year contract

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
What other trades? Really would rather not gut the forward depth any more than we already have and we have nothing on defense. Only other trade Gorts should make is unloading Staal, unless some stupid overpayment comes along for someone else.

Depends what Gorton means by rebuilding on the fly. You can make a hockey trade with Hayes or Miller, retain on Nash, make another big trade with Zucc. The options are there, and I think it'll be Gorton's MO over the next two years rather than just wasting all of this cap space in free agency. One big signing at max (Smith/Shatty) and then fillers like we did with Grabner last year.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Explain.

He cost zero assets.

He can help Hayes

He will not be a huge cap hit.

If he falls apart you LTIR him plus that means the team wont be making the playoffs. You then deal Nash and potentially Zucc at the deadline.

This is the very definition of low risk.

He has to be injured to go on LTIR. The risk is that he won't be hurt, but is so diminished as a player that his presence ends up hurting the team more than helping it.

For someone who saw more a drop of more than 25% before he even sustained his injury last season, I would say that the risk that he doesn't contribute is very high.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I like Evander Kane a lot as a long-term replacement for Nash, fits the model of getting younger and staying in the picture at the same time. I just wish sign-and-trades happened in hockey.

I know the Sabres have no incentive to get rid of him before the deadline, and he has no incentive to not see if he has a crazy season before signing his contract.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
The Rangers can still play a fast game with Thornton in the mix. They have been able to do so with the legs of Stepan and Hayes up front. They were able to compete with a deteriorating Klein and Girardi in the back. 3 of those 4 are gone. DeAngelo will be faster and can jumpstart the transition game. So would Shatty. They can afford to take on Thornton who is a career 52.6% on the dot. He hasnt finished below 50% since 2002-2003. He could help this team a lot not just competitively but a guy like Hayes.

RGY...you've been espousing Thornton as much as I've been saying Bonino.

Let me ask you this: What is Joe's motivation to come here first off?

Secondly, you do reliaze he would NOT come here on a one year deal...yes? He would likley want minimum of two if not 3 years. If that was the case would you give him 3 years?

Oh and one other thing...there's that always frustrating money thing. How much money do you think Joe would want to transplant his family back to the east coast? You know he'd want alot...yes?

He's not coming for less than 4.0. You do realize that. So let's just say Joe says "hmmm...I like Gorton...I like the Rangers...let me go play the last years of my career in NY and see if I can help them win a Cup".

So you would be willing to pay him 4.25 let's say for 3 years to come here and play?

We can pay the same if not less than that for Bonino for 4 years and he's only 29. Hanzel would likely be 3.5 for 3.

I don't know RY...I hear ya about Joe and I love the guy but I don't want him taking up 4 mill in cap space for 3 years consdiering what we are doing. I'd take him for one year maybe and that's only if he wanted less than 3.5 and you and I both know that aint happening. He might as well just to back to San Jose and why aggravate himself and move here and deal with the NY media and us on HF boards......lol

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Is McD a franchise piece? He's a really good 1D but he's not franchise. EK is franchise defensemen. If Skjei can absorb his minutes without missing a beat, then I absolutely would consider trading McD for fair value. That's the question though, can Skjei take those minutes and build off of last season, or would he struggle? If Skjei improves upon last season, McD becomes a very valuable trade asset. You don't need 2 first pairings on D to win.

i think they will use this year to see what Skjei is capable of. McDonagh's contract is up the end of the following year. If McDonagh brings back Barkov, holy crap, you have to do it.

D pipeline looks really good after this offseason so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad