Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXVIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
They need to take a page out of Philly's book and bully the Pens, they don't respond well to that kind of thing.

Wilson has been Wilson, but I haven't seen enough of it from other guys. You're one of, if not the dirtiest team in the league, play like it with out going overboard.

Didn't think Columbus did enough of that either.
What are you talking about? They plotted to assassinate Crosby.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Wow. Hawks had to let go of Saad, Teravienan, and Shaw due to cap reasons, plus lost Hayes in the past couple years. That sucks.

Hard to complain about loosing Fast or Lindberg in that perspective, although Chicago does have a cup to show for their spending efforts.

Losing Fast or Lindberg through the expansion draft is different from having to trade Saad, TT and Shaw because they decided to give Kane and Toews those 10.5m AAV deals. And yes, they have 3 Cups and got really lucky with the Panarin signing, circumventing the cap with the Keith and Hossa deals... But then they sign Seabrook to that awful deal.

I doubt any fan in Chicago feels bad, having watched them win 2 Cups after first hearing about the team in 2010 ;)

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
Ovechkin isn't going to be traded by Washington this offseason. Owner loves him. I'll eat crow if that happens.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ovechkin is the kind of player you build your entire team around. Taking him out of the equation would probably leave them in shambles.

Of course he is a player you build your team around, but he's getting up there in age, and has shown signs of declining. This was one of the first seasons where Ovechkin wasn't their best player. He's still very good, but not as good as he once was. If you are making changes, the smart change would be Ovechkin being traded for a kings ransom.

And people underestimate the talent they have. They have 2 1C's, one of the best goalies in the league, and at least four Top 4D, probably more. Ovechkin definitely is one of their better players, but they'd be fine without him. Their problem is not their talent, its how it mixes all together.

Breaking down? Out of all the players the Caps have, Ovechkin is the last one who is the problem.

He's not a problem, but yes, this is the worst season he's had since his mid-career two year slump, and he's showing signs of not being as good as he once was.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
If people don't think its even a discussion point, go look at Washington's section of Hfboards.

That doesn't mean their management is discussing it, but with fans its at least a discussion, and if fans are discussing it legitimately, you have to think there's a chance, not definitely, but a chance that the management is considering it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
If people don't think its even a discussion point, go look at Washington's section of Hfboards.

That doesn't mean their management is discussing it, but with fans its at least a discussion, and if fans are discussing it legitimately, you have to think there's a chance, not definitely, but a chance that the management is considering it.

The same way we discuss trading Lundqvist?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Of course he is a player you build your team around, but he's getting up there in age, and has shown signs of declining. This was one of the first seasons where Ovechkin wasn't their best player. He's still very good, but not as good as he once was. If you are making changes, the smart change would be Ovechkin being traded for a kings ransom.

And people underestimate the talent they have. They have 2 1C's, one of the best goalies in the league, and at least four Top 4D, probably more. Ovechkin definitely is one of their better players, but they'd be fine without him. Their problem is not their talent, its how it mixes all together.

He's not a problem, but yes, this is the worst season he's had since his mid-career two year slump, and he's showing signs of not being as good as he once was.

They have Carlson and Niskanen. Shattenkirk is probably leaving. Who are the other top-4 d? Don't say Orpik and Alzner. Orlov and Schmidt are solid, though.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia

I live in the DC market and can you that Ovie ain't going anywhere, that dude sells so much gear and seats that they'll pay him to put him out there in a wheel chair sucking his dentures and eating his lime jello

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
OK, here's something new that may fit here. Coyotes are offering protected slots in the expansion draft around the league to teams in return a favorable trade or trades. The Coyotes only have 8-9 players who really need to be protected. I could think of a half dozen scenarios that could work here. Coyotes desperately need help at center ice.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
OK, here's something new that may fit here. Coyotes are offering protected slots in the expansion draft around the league to teams in return a favorable trade or trades. The Coyotes only have 8-9 players who really need to be protected. I could think of a half dozen scenarios that could work here. Coyotes desperately need help at center ice.

Stepan, but for what?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Stepan for Strome and the 7th overall.

I'd rather get Keller than Strome, but I doubt Arizona would trade Keller. Not really a big fan of Strome, but I'd look to move him for a young D and slide Miller to C.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Are the Rangers really going to lose Lindberg or Fast in expansion? That would really suck. Gorton needs to move Nash to free up a spot and/or make a deal with Vegas to have them pick another player. Fast and Lindberg are also group II's. Arbitration eligible. Move Nash. Protect Fast. Trade Lindberg for a younger player. Keep Nash. Make a deal with Vegas. Halverson and another young piece to Vegas so they don't pick one of the Swedes. Vegas wants to collect goalies. They can select up to 7 in the draft. Halverson is exempt so maybe they work out a trade. McPhee wants to build with young players. Put a competitive team on the ice but also build the organization. He apparently had a trade worked out with Tim Murray in Buffalo. Murray lost his job. Gorton has probably talked to McPhee.

I wouldn't let Vegas take Raanta if the Rangers could acquire some high picks for him... a 1st or 2nd rounder for THIS DRAFT would probably be on par with us losing a guy like Fast or Lindberg. Cupboard needs to be restocked, a cheap UFA could replace what Lindberg is bringing on the 4th line, or Nieves could be ready to take that spot.

Or you trade Nash and then protect Lindberg. That's ideally what I wanna see done.

We can keep Fast, Lindy, Grabner, etc
buy out Staal trade Raanta Nash
after exp draft, trade Klein, Holden, Stepan

discounted McD + Zuc + Halverson + picks
for
Sam Reinhart, EKane + better picks
not a slam dunk, but if Sabes bite we should
would help w/exp dr
if we did that, we could also try to get Dumba either for picks, or w/a + for Buch

more importantly, we are always complaining about lack of a dif maker since we don't finish low enough to draft high.
Reinhart right now is a very poor man's extremely lite Schiefle
but Blysma + other factors did not help
worth the risk

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York

Hayes for Strome?

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
If we go to the ECF - I do not expect too many trades
They will then likely keep the entire core (Our US college guys, the Scandinavians, Buch) together
For better or worse

They will of course try to fix the defense some (one of the Twins will likely go, I doubt both)
Smith will get a new contract. Shatty will be too expensive
Plus they will need to create some more cap space. Both short and long term.
Try to cash in on some of the more expensive excess pieces (Twins, Nash, Klein...)
Maybe they trade Rantaa if they get a better return than on Talbot? I would think so
Be shrewd and see what becomes available
A sign and trade on both Klingberg and Glass would be epic - but it seems far fetched - even though it would likely only render small returns

Like I said before, there is a possibility that Nash (for a decent return - maybe not a premium - but creating lots of $$) is left unprotected in the draft and we look at other options. One scout told me that is what he would do if nothing materializes on the trade market. I dunno?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad