Status
Not open for further replies.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
3 things I think:

1. Shattenkirk really helps.
2. Not sure Shattenkirk puts them over the top, especially if they have to move Nash/Stepan to fit him.
3. Shattenkirk will be considered a horrible contract at some point over the life of his deal.

I can see the pros and cons but generally view it as a "no".

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Girardi buyout + Shattenkirk at $6M and no more and I'm more than OK with it, but there needs to be further addressing of the defense.

Klein and Holden need to go. There's no reason to have them on this roster.

If there is ANY deal for Staal that involves taking back a slightly shorter contract then you need to do it, especially if it's for the forward position. If there isn't he needs to be bought out

That's almost half of the defense there.

I am assuming Kampfer goes down to hartford--he has the same deal that Chris Summers.

McDonagh, Skjei, Smith is something to build around.

If you added Trouba or Shattenkirk to that top 4, you're in VERY good shape.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
This team is going to regret it if they give Shattenkirk a big pay day.

Anything north of 6m would be an overpayment. We cannot assume the cap will go up every year. Financially, the NHL has been grasping at straws already to support the Canadian teams due to their economic situation (oil export dropping, causing the CAD to drop)

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
This team is going to regret it if they give Shattenkirk a big pay day.

i would do flips if we some how end up with shatty on a value contract. imo, if he plays so-so for the caps and they get bounced, thats a win for us. he bails on the caps and negotiates a fair deal here.

this team is sorely in need of right side dmen.

assuming girardi and kk are gone thats 2 rightys.

we have 4 rightys on the roster right now. those 2 plus kampfer and clendo. thats it.

pretty weak.

a guy like shatty checks alot of boxes. as a top 4 guy, and a pp guy, he fills a big time need.

if we look like this 1-4 im pretty happy.

27/76
42/shatty

plus then sam can call skjei "shady" when he means shatty. :laugh:

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I mean... what is a big pay day for Shatty? Is 5 years at 6 million a big pay day? 7x7?

I think so, yes. I'd reserve that kind of money for guys who I have confidence putting out against top competition. I think Shattenkirk is a 2nd pairing guy who needs a very solid partner as a safety net. Will he get you a bunch of points? Probably, but scoring isn't the issue with this team. It's getting the puck out of their zone and keeping it out of their net. Give McDonagh a guy who can be his safety net and you have two pairings who shouldn't have much issue accomplishing that goal. I think putting Shattenkirk with McDonagh will be a failure.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I think so, yes. I'd reserve that kind of money for guys who I have confidence putting out against top competition. I think Shattenkirk is a 2nd pairing guy who needs a very solid partner as a safety net. Will he get you a bunch of points? Probably, but scoring isn't the issue with this team. It's getting the puck out of their zone and keeping it out of their net. Give McDonagh a guy who can be his safety net and you have two pairings who shouldn't have much issue accomplishing that goal. I think putting Shattenkirk with McDonagh will be a failure.

So Skjei - Shattenkirk? :naughty:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

27 and 76 would look pretty nice together.

then 42 with shatty as the 2nd pair.

i think 27 needs a mate that can skate and play smart defense and allow ryan to play up ice and use his wheels to push pucks. the ability for his partner to recover and make the right reads allows 27 to take chances and have the confidence his partner can cover for him. thats brady skjei.

shatty would pair well with 42 who adds a defensive edge to that pair.

tbh, the new nhl defenseman is in the mold of shatty. puck moving, offensively capable guy who skates well and shoots it.

27 and 76 also meet that criteria. they are both prototypical nhl dman.

say what you want, but shattenkirk fits this team like a glove.

27/76
42/shatty

thats a very nice top 4.

it all depends on the $$.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

i think 27 needs a mate that can skate and play smart defense and allow ryan to play up ice and use his wheels to push pucks. the ability for his partner to recover and make the right reads allows 27 to take chances and have the confidence his partner can cover for him. thats brady skjei.

tbh, the new nhl defenseman is in the mold of shatty. puck moving, offensively capable guy who skates well and shoots it.

27/76
42/shatty

thats a very nice top 4.

I feel like Skjei always looks better when playing on the left, which is why I'd be game with moving mcDonagh now to get Trouba, who will be just as good on the right in a year or two as McDonagh is on the left now

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

27/76
42/shatty

thats a very nice top 4.

Putting a guy on his weaker side just to accommodate Shattenkirk doesn't look like a glove fit to me. It looks like we're making concessions because he's the easiest option. You've said it several times already in the last thread: "All he costs is money." That's the easy way out.

The "new NHL defensemen" might be a guy who can skate and move the puck, but it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice defensive prowess.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
Really excited at the possibility (or probability) of revamping our defense for next season. Not sure how but gotta think that both G and Staal won't return. Probably have to bite the bullet on a buyout.

Re-signing Smith should be a priority. I do fear he's playing himself into a fat contract. We'll see.

Possibly infusing Berezgalov/Shatty is very exciting. Clendo is as good as gone, can't blame him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Putting a guy on his weaker side just to accommodate Shattenkirk doesn't look like a glove fit to me. It looks like we're making concessions because he's the easiest option. You've said it several times already in the last thread: "All he costs is money." That's the easy way out.

The "new NHL defensemen" might be a guy who can skate and move the puck, but it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice defensive prowess.

that's what I'm saying--you move McDonagh for Trouba now, put Smith in that top pairing.

Smith-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Trouba
Bereglazov-Clendening

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse

smith can play both sides. if hes best on the right side, he can play with mcdonagh. seems reasonable. especially since smith seems like a guy who can log big minutes along side ryan as weve seen recently. if this is the real brendan smith, he will be resigned.

if you go

27/42
76/shatty

thats also very good.

then again you have 3 capable, skating, mobile and smart guys who can move up ice and play in all zones. that type of dman can play top 2 pairs. they are pretty much interchangeable.

if the brady skjei we have seen this season is the guy we will get next season, im very confident that a pair of 76 and shatty would be both defensively responsible and offensively capable of making passes, moving pucks and creating from the back end. i see this brady skjei as a poor mans mcdonagh.

27 and 42 together seems like a strong pair as long as smith can log big minutes against top lines.

i dont see any way adding shattenkirk is a mistake. hes a proven guy who's in his prime and will not require a trade to acquire.

trading mcd for trouba in not happening. ever.

we have no one ready on the farm but ryan graves as maybe a mid season call up.

you cant let shattenkirk sign elsewhere.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I can imagine Stepan want to play near his home town with the Wilds team - anything interesting in return on that team? :)

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
why would we break up skjei-smith? they play great together. that should be your 2nd pair going forward.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
i know a little something about bereglazov. familiar with him and his game. he wont help anytime soon.

im just not as excited about this kid as hes prob 1-2 years away and hes already soon to be 23. its not like hes 19 or 20. does he really want to come here to play in hartford ? hes tall but his skating needs work.

makes some sense assuming ryan graves makes the team out of camp and bear can log big minutes in the A.

still prefer clendo tbh. would keep him on this roster. right handed shot and offensively capable

sad that hes no longer and option. offensively, hes head and shoulders the better choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad