Speculation: Roster Building Thread DCLXVIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The Rangers allow Raanta exposed instead of trading him. McPhee parlays Raanta into younger assets or keeps him to move during the season. The Rangers keep the Swedes and Grabner. Works. How much to re-sign Fast and Lindberg? Two arbitration seasons. The Hawks didn't overpay their role players. Sign Zibanejad. Sign Smith? Elliotte Friedman reported the players will not bump up the cap this June because Las Vegas joining the NHL will create flexiblity for the players. They have to spend ~$60M to reach the floor. Flat cap. McPhee spent $8M on the Russians.

They didn't overpay most of their role players, but they overpaid Kruger and now they want to trade him.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I'd be willing to part with Raanta in order to keep the other crop of players currently in our lineup.

If Raanta brings back a decent 1st (say Vegas acquires one from another team), then I would let Vegas Take Raanta to receive that 1st.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
i actually strongly agree with this

the Caps had no need for Shattenkirk, he doesn't really fit their system either.

having both takes this team a really long way. that's an incredible top 4 with no assets spent and all relatively young-ish.

but, to make that happen would require black magic, some insane cap maneuvering, and/or making an extremely win now move, such as buying out Marc Staal.

the idea that you can get Shattenkirk for something laughable like 5 years at less than 6 mill is simply not reality.

Agree on Shattenkirk here on both fronts... That caps definitely didn't have use for him. The top 4 was fine, Shattenkirk has uprooted the roster because the caps didn't need him... Looking at it now, it was a stupid move because of the 3 teams that the caps could have played against in the 1st 2 rounds of the payoffs, none of those teams were ever going to acquire Shattenkirk--CBJ was already set on defense, PIT had no cap room, and TOR has a plethora of defenseman nor were they ready to spend assets on a rental during the uptick of their rebuild. I still think he would fit the Rangers better than he would the caps. We play a much faster and up-tempo game compared to the caps, whereas the caps play a slower, heavier, checking game (the latter trait has been less and less over the years)...

As for signing Shattenkirk, a 5 year contract instantly means a $7M AAV. Given the Staal and Girardi contracts on this team, that isn't really fathomable... If him going 6 years means he takes $6M AAV instead, then I go that 6th year with him every single time. 7 years, I run as fast as I can from that contract, because with all the restocking that Gorton's doing to the pipeline, 7 years would be both saddling and unnecessary on this teams cap management.

As far as Signing Smith, I think it would in fact be a Stralman-like mistake to let this guy go. We don't have anyone in the pipeline who is going to step in and take 2nd pairing minutes NEXT SEASON. Bear Gloves is absolutely taking one of the 3rd pairing slots next season (assuming that one of Girardi or Staal are bought out, opening a spot for him), but outside of that there isn't anyone else to take those minutes on the right side. Girardi is, at best, a 3rd pairing defenseman, and Staal is playing at 7th defenseman levels, so one of those guys has to go.

As far as signing both Smith AND Shattenkirk, you would have to be rid of BOTH the Staal and Girardi contracts:

Girardi has in fact significantly upped his value, and will only have 3 years remaining on his deal with a Modified NTC... As much as we don't think so, I think that's a tradeable contract, especially if we retain $2.75M on him... Girardi at $2.75M is manageable for a team who is desperate for a defenseman... Vegas also has an argument for getting him with a small sweetener (mid round pick) because given the length of that contract, it's not like it would saddle them come contention time. Beyond that, they need to pick up $60M in cap charges, and they aren't allowed to use LTIR players for that unless a team wants to facilitate a trade of a player on LTIR. Girardi would not only not need LTIR, but could also play immediately, so it's possible that you can send Girardi to them with a much smaller retention amount like $1.5-2M. Carrying a $1.5M cap charge for 3 years would be really ideal for NYR's cap management because it would dramatically alter how the defense can be addressed going into free agency.

Staal on the other hand, the only tradeable asset regarding Staal is his name, not his play. if you get a GM to bite for his pedigree alone, you'll be OK, but I think at this point if you can actually move Girardi, you have to consider buyout out Staal and keeping Holden in his place. The immediate cap space opened up for both this year and next year is rather large, and the $3.9M cap charge for the buyout would happen the year after Girardi's contract (and any salary retention) drops off, so the cap charges are much more manageable compared to a Girardi buyout (assuming a Girardi trade can happen)...

Another thing to consider is that if this team goes far, GM's will put a lot more value on just about every player on this team, which should naturally bring up how much we can get in a trade for some of these guys.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Totally agree Rasp. It will be either Smith or Shattenkirk unless the cap goes up or Girardi or Staal are moved without salary coming back or being retained.

Hey, NYR probably see Girardi's playoffs and think he's a top 4 D again.

Sorry, I wouldn't put it past them.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Hey, NYR probably see Girardi's playoffs and think he's a top 4 D again.

Sorry, I wouldn't put it past them.

As much as I want to say this, I don't think this is the case. Gorton's gone out and gotten a lot of defensemen, and part of me is pretty positive it's due to the fact that we need guys on ELC's to help absorb the buyout costs.

If Girardi isn't going, I would want to hope they are at least considering buying out Staal because LHD depth literally grows on trees. You could sign Hunwick for $1.5M, or just keep Holden at $1.65M and have him play in Staal's spot.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
As much as I want to say this, I don't think this is the case. Gorton's gone out and gotten a lot of defensemen, and part of me is pretty positive it's due to the fact that we need guys on ELC's to help absorb the buyout costs.

If Girardi isn't going, I would want to hope they are at least considering buying out Staal because LHD depth literally grows on trees. You could sign Hunwick for $1.5M, or just keep Holden at $1.65M and have him play in Staal's spot.

It needs to not only be considered but actually carried out. Staal's current production level could be replaced almost instantly.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
If Raanta brings back a decent 1st (say Vegas acquires one from another team), then I would let Vegas Take Raanta to receive that 1st.

I really really doubt Raanta is bringing back a 1st round pick. Goalies don't have that kind of value.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I don't follow.

I wouldn't let Vegas take Raanta if the Rangers could acquire some high picks for him... a 1st or 2nd rounder for THIS DRAFT would probably be on par with us losing a guy like Fast or Lindberg. Cupboard needs to be restocked, a cheap UFA could replace what Lindberg is bringing on the 4th line, or Nieves could be ready to take that spot.

Or you trade Nash and then protect Lindberg. That's ideally what I wanna see done.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Dream scenario is:

- Girardi is traded, ideally with no retention, but lets say 50% retention for arguments sake.
(Rangers can also afford to do this after the expansion draft because the only defenseman they need to protect, who will be signed, is McDonagh)
- Staal is bought out
- Holden is Traded for a mid round pick
- Klein is traded for a mid round pick
That's a whopping $10.87M in freed up cap space for this coming season and the following season.

On top of that, you have coming off the books:
- Glass' $1.45M
- Smith's $2.75M
That puts your freed up cap space to $15.07M

Let's assume a $1M cap increase

That puts you up to $16.07M in freed up cap space

The Rangers really should be looking to keep Lindberg. let's say Nash is traded prior to the expansion draft with $1.8M retained:

That puts you up to $22.07M in freed up cap space

And finally, lets take off the RFA's cap hits so that we can come up with a raw available cap number:

- Zib $2.75M
- Lindberg $.65M
- Fast $.95M
- Puempel $.9M
- Pirri $1.1M
- Clendo $.6M

$29.02M cap space freed up

So yes, you can do it... Here's what it looks like in Cap Friendly

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: M. Zuccarello ($4,500,000) - J. Miller ($2,750,000) - J. Fast ($1,250,000) - M. Grabner ($1,650,000)
Centre: M. Zibanejad ($4,500,000) - D. Stepan ($6,500,000) - K. Hayes ($2,600,000) - O. Lindberg ($1,500,000)
Left wing: C. Kreider ($4,625,000) - J. Vesey ($925,000) - P. Buchnevich ($925,000) - C. Nieves ($755,000) - A. Desjardins ($1,100,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: K. Shattenkirk ($6,000,000) - B. Smith ($4,500,000) - A. Bereglazov ($925,000)
Left: R. McDonagh ($4,700,000) - B. Skjei ($925,000) - M. Hunwick ($1,400,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
H. Lundqvist ($8,500,000) - A. Stalock ($650,000)

BUYOUTS
M. Staal ($2,133,333) - B. Richards ($0)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
NHL Salary Cap: $74,000,000
Cap Hit: $67,863,333
Cap Space: $6,136,667
https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/317677

Basically if the rangers can move on from all but one of:
Girardi, Staal, Nash, Klein, Holden
They will be in VERY Good shape.
I also do not think Trading Zucc should be done just yet, since the team as constructed can only lose one of Zucc or Nash, not both. I think he's got another 60+ point season in him, and we don't have enough coming in the pipeline to step in and absorb that offensive loss.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Did anyone mention that Ovechkin was demoted to the third line?

We wouldn't have the cap space to trade for him, but I think if Washington loses this series, he goes in the offseason.

Vegas makes sense. His contract isn't terrible, 4 years 10 million per remaining. Vegas needs to make a big splash, Washington would have to make major changes after being eliminated by the Penguins in the second round two seasons in a row after winning the President's Trophy both years. Ovechkin is on the decline. He would make more sense to trade than Kuznetsov, Holtby, Backstrom.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York

We wouldn't have the cap space to trade for him, but I think if Washington loses this series, he goes in the offseason.

Vegas makes sense. His contract isn't terrible, 4 years 10 million per remaining. Vegas needs to make a big splash, Washington would have to make major changes after being eliminated by the Penguins in the second round two seasons in a row after winning the President's Trophy both years. Ovechkin is on the decline. He would make more sense to trade than Kuznetsov, Holtby, Backstrom.

You really think Washington would move Ovechkin? I just don't see it happening. He's the franchise player and fills the seats in the arena. He also put up 50 goals just a year ago.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You really think Washington would move Ovechkin? I just don't see it happening. He's the franchise player and fills the seats in the arena. He also put up 50 goals just a year ago.

He's breaking down.

I think under normal circumstances most teams wouldn't trade him, but if I was to forecast the big surprise for the offseason in the NHL, I think Ovechkin will be moved. The Caps need to do something to show a major change. They can't keep doing the same thing, and getting the same results.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

He retires a Cap. No way they trade him.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
He's breaking down.

I think under normal circumstances most teams wouldn't trade him, but if I was to forecast the big surprise for the offseason in the NHL, I think Ovechkin will be moved. The Caps need to do something to show a major change. They can't keep doing the same thing, and getting the same results.

Ovechkin is the kind of player you build your entire team around. Taking him out of the equation would probably leave them in shambles.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's breaking down.

Breaking down? Out of all the players the Caps have, Ovechkin is the last one who is the problem.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
He's breaking down.

They need to take a page out of Philly's book and bully the Pens, they don't respond well to that kind of thing.

Wilson has been Wilson, but I haven't seen enough of it from other guys. You're one of, if not the dirtiest team in the league, play like it with out going overboard.

Didn't think Columbus did enough of that either.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
They couldn't afford to pay Shaw.

I'd trade Hayes to get out of Girardi/Staal contracts.

Wow. Hawks had to let go of Saad, Teravienan, and Shaw due to cap reasons, plus lost Hayes in the past couple years. That sucks.

Hard to complain about loosing Fast or Lindberg in that perspective, although Chicago does have a cup to show for their spending efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad