Salary Cap: Roster-Building Pt. XX | A Fleury of Fehr Proposals (Contract + Cap Info in 1st Post)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Looks like the Ducks want to move Fowler but don't really want to take a lot of salary back.

Is Fowler really that bad? He's always looked solid whenever I watch him. Never lived up to his potential at the draft of being a #1 offensive guy, but still a mobile puck mover.

I know his advanced stats apparently suck, but still. Weber and Josi's aren't exactly stellar, but bother are damn good defensemen.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Is Fowler really that bad? He's always looked solid whenever I watch him. Never lived up to his potential at the draft of being a #1 offensive guy, but still a mobile puck mover.

I know his advanced stats apparently suck, but still. Weber and Josi's aren't exactly stellar, but bother are damn good defensemen.

No, because the post you responded to was a mistake. The Ducks don't want to move Fowler, but felt they may be forced to due to salary reasons

That's why signing Lindholm to a lower cap is such a big deal for them. It puts them into a position where they can focus on the season, try to keep their D core together, and make a strong push to win.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No, because the post you responded to was a mistake. The Ducks don't want to move Fowler, but felt they may be forced to due to salary reasons

That's why signing Lindholm to a lower cap is such a big deal for them. It puts them into a position where they can focus on the season, try to keep their D core together, and make a strong push to win.

Ah, okay. Because I never understood the ridicule Fowler gets on HF, particularly from the advanced stats brigade. Like I said, he's always looked like a solid top four puck mover to me, even if he's not necessarily a bonafide #1.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ah, okay. Because I never understood the ridicule Fowler gets on HF, particularly from the advanced stats brigade. Like I said, he's always looked like a solid top four puck mover to me, even if he's not necessarily a bonafide #1.

I'm not really going to get into that discussion. :laugh: I don't mind advanced statistics, and I even find them useful, but I don't like the way they are often used, and manipulated to say what people want.

Suffice it to say, we're very happy with Fowler in Anaheim. He's been a great player for us. So far this season, he's been absolutely fantastic. Breaking out, deserves an A, best player for us this season kind of fantastic. I think Murray worked really hard trying to negotiate a contract with Lindholm that would allow the team to keep them both.

Who knows? Maybe we'll see you guys in the Finals. Probably not, but that would be nice.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Just a random thought: I think we'll be able to re-sign Daley and for relatively cheap.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The Pens need two top six LW's, and they need to move Kunitz (in part to remove the temptation to play him, in part for the cap space).

JR won't do it. Book it.

It's a bridge too far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just a random thought: I think we'll be able to re-sign Daley and for relatively cheap.

I'm iffy on re-signing Daley. Not because Daley played poorly at all, but I was really impressed with Pouliot in the short time he played this year. I'm in a wait and see position with him, if Pouliot or Schultz falters I would re-sign Daley immediately, but I'd wait if both continue to play well.

The Pens need two top six LW's, and they need to move Kunitz (in part to remove the temptation to play him, in part for the cap space).

JR won't do it. Book it.

It's a bridge too far.

I don't think they need 2 top-6 wingers, Wilson on Crosby's LW is good enough (and Sheary had a good start to the year) and the Pens can put in Sheary or Guentzel if they decide to move Kunitz. I think RW is a bigger need for the Pens, they could really use an upgrade on the 3rd line RW if Kessel and Horny are in the top-6. Ideally, the Pens would run with:

Wilson/Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-Sheary/trade
Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Rust or Rust-Cullen-Fehr

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
What about Pouliot for Virtanen

JV was on the local radio and said he's not getting enough minutes to get things going. He's been getting around 7 minutes per night. Not obviously the end of the world, but van needs d and virtanens shot and willingness to drive the net would be good with Malkin IMO

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I think Paajaarvi would be a potentially interesting claim for us. If only because it makes it easier to push someone else (Hagelin - perhaps Kuhn) up the lineup.

Paajaarvi has excellent speed and plays dutiful defense. We could do much worse on the fourth line, and if it doesn't pan out one can always just waive him.

When you look at the forwards on St.Louis roster, there is not a bad player there, so it is as much a numbers game as anything that Paajaarvi is getting waived.

Anyway, it would obviously be a very minor move, and you could argue that we'd quickly get a numbers game going ourselves. With what I have seen from Wilson though - I don't mind if he works on his skating and core strength in WBS.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Paajarvi and Filatov were two guys I thought were going to have huge careers and they never did anything.

Paajarvi would be an interesting claim because of the Swedish influence here. He hasn't had it easy in his career. Hitch is a rough dude to play under for a young guy, and he played in the dumpster fire of Edmonton.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm not opposed to the idea, but isn't Magnus Paajarvi similar to what the Pens already have? Quick two-way forward. He's just bigger.

I suppose it'd push Sestito to WBS.

Awesome name, though.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So here's an unrelated question about the exp draft. Let's say we choose the 7F, 3D route. We have 6 forwards and 4 dmen we want to keep. Could we "convert" Pouliot (for example) to a wing and protect him as a wing as a way to get around having to expose him?

Like serious run a 4th line of Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Pouliot from say Feb onward.

Michel Therrien is behind you 100%, but I'm not sure about anyone else.

That is an interesting question though. Guys like Buff and Burns have some history at both positions but I imagine they'd call bull on doing that with DP. I could only see that working if it already started happening, which it can't, because he's hurt, and would be really weird.

I think it would depend on how long you attempted it for.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I could have sworn that dude lived in Canada, how did he also work for the Penguins?

My guess is that some of his firm's clients were Penguins connected. Either way if it's your job or your internet friends it's not a hard choice.

He lives in Toronto (iirc). And I think Sideline had it right. He worked or knew someone that was really connected with the Pens (he pretty much admitted this a couple years ago when he said something along the lines of "do you have access to someone who talks to Shero daily/weekly?"). My guess was that it was Pat Brisson (Crosby's agent, and close friend to Mario), but who knows. Either way he'll be missed (even if he was a cocky SOB at times).

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What about Pouliot for Virtanen

JV was on the local radio and said he's not getting enough minutes to get things going. He's been getting around 7 minutes per night. Not obviously the end of the world, but van needs d and virtanens shot and willingness to drive the net would be good with Malkin IMO

How about DP for Kapanen?

Where do you play him and who are you sitting for him? I'm not married to any of the kids (Wilson, Sheary, etc) getting permanent spots in the roster without earning them, but neither do I want to push them down/out by acquiring another maybe type player - even if he is young with potential.

We need to think very carefully about moving DP. We do that, and we're pretty much corning ourselves into a situation where we need to sign Daley (or someone similar) or ensure that Schultz is here after this season. And while I'm not opposed to giving Daley an extension, it really depends on the AAV and term that he'd want. Unless we trade Maatta for Trouba, then while we still need a top 4D going into next season, at least it's a left D and not a right D.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Where do you play him and who are you sitting for him? I'm not married to any of the kids (Wilson, Sheary, etc) getting permanent spots in the roster without earning them, but neither do I want to push them down/out by acquiring another maybe type player - even if he is young with potential.

We need to think very carefully about moving DP. We do that, and we're pretty much corning ourselves into a situation where we need to sign Daley (or someone similar) or ensure that Schultz is here after this season. And while I'm not opposed to giving Daley an extension, it really depends on the AAV and term that he'd want. Unless we trade Maatta for Trouba, then while we still need a top 4D going into next season, at least it's a left D and not a right D.

The way it's going I can picture needing Daley or another top 4 D regardless of whether or not Pouliot is here.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
I've heard it a few times, but can't remember the origin. If it's from KIRK, then you can assume he heard it from IC.

that's definitely worrisome when ownership gets in the way of these things. hopefully they have a meeting of the minds and realize what's best for this organization today and down the road.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't think there are any real rumors of recent ownership getting in the way of the Murray/Fleury situation. The scenario that took place over draft weekend was more related to the Pens understanding MAF didn't want to go to a Canadian team. And I believe that includes anything our local sources have given us. Especially as of late.

I think we can shut that rumor down early. In fact - i look at it in the favor of Murray that they want to keep Condon around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad