Speculation: Roster Building LX: The Return of Cap(tain) Crunch aka LB Bus Stop Theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'd be pretty shocked TBH if Fox doesn't start in the AHL for a bit. Likely one of the last cuts, but one of the first callups.

Which might not be the worst thing...Hopefully Shatty can then played somewhat decent in the first few months and raise is trade value.

Justin Schultz
Jake Gardiner
Nate Schmidt
Alex Goligoski
Torey Krug
Justin Faulk
Ryan McDonagh
Brady Skjei
Alec Martinez
Shayne Gostisbehere
Jaccob Slavin

They all played in the AHL after turning pro. Adam Fox will most likely be the same. Start in Hartford, and make his way up halfway through the season

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
I'd trade Kreider and half Shattenkirk for a 2nd and a bottom-six prospect. There's as much value as trading Kreider alone, and he's going to get less than HFNYR expects.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Fake news? An incorrect prediction maybe, we’ll see how this plays out, but fake news? People here are gearing themselves up for a ****ty return on Kreider. A month ago we thought we were getting a top 10 pick/Newhook for him. No one knows what will happen but the expectations are sure being managed right now.

I meant fake news that we are going to be forced to take a bad deal because of the cap crunch. that is not true. there are several options involving lesser pieces that can be moved without having it impact any potential kreider deal. whether or not fans are overreacting to a situation that isn't really there isn't a factor to me

Reactions: egelband

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
The Rangers don’t have to buy out Namestnikov. That’s crazy talk
Namestnikov has 1 year at 4 mil left. In a league where GM’s around the league throw around 3 mil+term to guys like Beagle, B. Tanev (who also got 6 years), Komarov, etc. I don’t see how we’re so unable to move him, especially with Namestnikov’s versatility and his ability to play on any line. He’s good defensively and is a safe bet for 30-40 points as well. I just don’t see why it’d be so hard to move him

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The Rangers don’t have to buy out Namestnikov. That’s crazy talk

that definitely won't happen...you could retain 50% and get back a pick and save only $600k less. the only buyout options are smith, staal and shattenkirk. we've debated the pros and cons of each more times than i want to read but there are no other buyout candidates

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I don’t get it. If you don’t. Buy out shattenkirk now and he has a season like he just had he is immovable next year and buyout proof basically. You are blocking one of Fox or DeAngelo this year but definitely next year.

It’s a no brainer. You buy out shattenkirk

he becomes moveable after his bonus gets paid next summer...but the part that I don't understand is why do people think that the team would be willing to buy him out to have almost his entire cap hit as dead space next year, but they wouldn't be willing to put him in the press box so fox can play? if they think so highly of him that they won't sit him then what makes anyone think they would consider buying him out?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Any chance a cap floor team would take Smith and/or Names?

well there are no teams under the cap floor...technically the jets are $1.5 mil under but thats with only 7 forwards and laine & connor aren't signed so they likely will be pushing the upper limits when they are done.

you might be able to avoid a buyout by getting a team like ottawa to take smith but it will cost you an asset so the question is what price are you willing to pay...I think there is a point where its worth it, but not the best option

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Enjoyed the LB lookback piece, but I just want to know more. Why trade for Kurri and then let him bolt when Gretzky was on the way? Why not try harder to keep Verbeek? Regrets about letting Keenan force a trade of Gartner? What’s his second most regretted move, the Savard/Cloutier/Sundstrom draft moves?

Reactions: Boris Zubov

RangerBlues

Apr 27, 2004
BRONX NYC
Somebody has to be bought out. There is no miracle trade coming.
If there is one player. Who?
I also would sign Buch to a 4-5 year contract.
Hold on to K until your overpaid out the nose.
Give Names every chance to put up points and trade.
ADA and Lemuix are interchangeable parts.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Justin Schultz
Jake Gardiner
Nate Schmidt
Alex Goligoski
Torey Krug
Justin Faulk
Ryan McDonagh
Brady Skjei
Alec Martinez
Shayne Gostisbehere
Jaccob Slavin

They all played in the AHL after turning pro. Adam Fox will most likely be the same. Start in Hartford, and make his way up halfway through the season
I doubt Schultz would have if there wasn't a lockout going on, but yeah, won't be a big deal at all if Fox starts in the AHL.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I Chytil as a center too but he will be barely 20 at the start of the season. What if bing a full time 2C is a year too soon?

And if we are talking Strome’s future - core is not necessary top6. What if Strome is a late bloomer which we do see if not often then at least pretty regularly? What if some prospects bust out? Mature Strome at a reasonable cap could be a big asset in top9 if certain factors play out.

I like this point of view. Strome could be the next brassard guy we get

Reactions: Barnaby

JESSEWENEEDTOCOOK

Oct 8, 2010
I would have to think Gorton is looking for a player who can step in and contribute next season for Kreider. I can’t imagine he’s actively looking for a picks/b prospect package.

I mean, one road we could go down is to trade Kreider for picks, then flip those picks to another team for a guy signed longer than Kreider.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Buch isnt going anywhere until he has an audition with Panarin or Kravtsov. Imo Kreider is gone, hopefully Shattenkirk and Smith are gone. Namestnicov is 50/50 depending on if they still need space and I dont think Strome will be shopped until the deadline maybe and maybe not even then. Those are my predictions fwiw

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
If Names and Buch are the two that are moved, thoughts on bringing in Justin Williams on a 1 year deal? Would be a great mentor, fill a RW spot in the Top 9, and would even be a good TDL asset to trade if we go that route.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I would have to think Gorton is looking for a player who can step in and contribute next season for Kreider. I can’t imagine he’s actively looking for a picks/b prospect package.

I mean, one road we could go down is to trade Kreider for picks, then flip those picks to another team for a guy signed longer than Kreider.

I think Gorton would love to get a young center in return...nhl ready would be great if not a prospect with the upside

But aside from potentially a 2C I don’t think you need someone to immediately replace kreider in the top 6. You’d have Zibanejad, panarin, kakko, buchnevich, kravtsov, Chytil and hopefully Andersson/Howden pushing for a spot after making progress this year. So you are good on wingers...

Reactions: jas

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
Enjoyed the LB lookback piece, but I just want to know more. Why trade for Kurri and then let him bolt when Gretzky was on the way? Why not try harder to keep Verbeek? Regrets about letting Keenan force a trade of Gartner? What’s his second most regretted move, the Savard/Cloutier/Sundstrom draft moves?

Is there a link to this article? Sounds like an interesting read.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If Names and Buch are the two that are moved, thoughts on bringing in Justin Williams on a 1 year deal? Would be a great mentor, fill a RW spot in the Top 9, and would even be a good TDL asset to trade if we go that route.

He’d be a good vet but can’t see why he’d leave carolina to go to a rebuilding team on a cheap deal. If it’s a cheap deal he can probably find a spot on a good team with a shot at another cup

Reactions: Alluckks

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
If the Rangers go the route of buying out Smith and trading Names, the Rangers would have 14 players at forward.

Zbad
Panarin
Kreider
Kravtsov
Kaako
Buch
Chytil
Andersson
Howden
Lemieux
Fast
Strome
McKegg
Nieves

One of McKegg or Nieves would be the loser to go down to Hartford more then likely.

Panarin - Zbad - Kaako
Kreider - Strome - Kravstov
Chytil - Howden - Buch
Lemieux - Andersson - Fast

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Staal should be bought out, his hit and dead cap numbers work out best as the years go on

But I don’t think they’ll do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad