Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
How are Lucic and Byff bad in the room?

Lucic worked fine with Pastrnak, Byff works fine with Ehlers in the room.

While we don't have all the details about what was going on with Kane in Winnipeg, I'm pretty sure a good leader wouldn't throw the kids track suit in the shower. Plus we don't want our kids, especially Virtanen, looking up to a guy who apparently has conditioning issues.

As for Lucic, we don't need him threatening someone in the post game lineup, or spearing a guy in the nuts while our kids, once again, especially Virtanen, look up to him.

We don't need that kind of attention in our hockey market. The media has run enough good players out of town here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
While we don't have all the details about what was going on with Kane in Winnipeg, I'm pretty sure a good leader wouldn't throw the kids track suit in the shower. Plus we don't want our kids, especially Virtanen, looking up to a guy who apparently has conditioning issues.

As for Lucic, we don't need him threatening someone in the post game lineup, or spearing a guy in the nuts while our kids, once again, especially Virtanen, look up to him.

We don't need that kind of attention in our hockey market. The media has run enough good players out of town here.

Meanwhile, we have Burrows. :laugh: Guess we should get rid of Burrows too? I'm willing to bet you think Burrows is a great leader (he is) but say Lucic and Byfuglien aren't good locker room guys. If they weren't, they'd be bouncing around from team-to-team regularly because of character issues as such.

They would easily make this team better. Lucic definitely seems like a popular guy in the dressing room, for the fact he stands up for his teammates at any cost.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Probably went straight down the gutter when trust fund baby Franky A realized he'd have to take financial losses for a couple of years.

So he decided to take things into his own non-sports management experienced hands and cost himself an additional 8M with the Torts buy out.

And then there's last season starting with the Linden hiring.

This ride really sucks. I want off.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market

Kane wasn't much of a team player. He didn't want to play in Winnipeg, clearly, by all the comments he made about asking a trade every year in winnipeg. You can make a assumption that because Byff threw his cloths in the shower that Byff is a bad room guy, but I could also easily say that Byff is a great team guy.

When he played for the Cougars I saw him all the time at the rink. He was a great guy always hanging out with his teammates cheering all the kids on that played in the CN center as they were working out under the stands (work out stand was under the stands for some reason).

I do not think Byf is a bad guy in the locker room at all.

Lucic is hardly a bad teammate, his teammates liked in boston and they like him in LA. It's the opponents that don't like Lucic.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Ok...

Who's in favor of a Vrbata for a Pominville trade?

Both are sucking hard for their respective team.

We have to eat a bunch of term for Pominville which means the Wild will eat some of his salary.

Pominville becomes our playmaking winger for our non-playmaking center Sutter.

Vrbata gets to play with Granland or Koivu.

I think win win for both clubs.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Kane wasn't much of a team player. He didn't want to play in Winnipeg, clearly, by all the comments he made about asking a trade every year in winnipeg. You can make a assumption that because Byff threw his cloths in the shower that Byff is a bad room guy, but I could also easily say that Byff is a great team guy.

When he played for the Cougars I saw him all the time at the rink. He was a great guy always hanging out with his teammates cheering all the kids on that played in the CN center as they were working out under the stands (work out stand was under the stands for some reason).

I do not think Byf is a bad guy in the locker room at all.

Lucic is hardly a bad teammate, his teammates liked in boston and they like him in LA. It's the opponents that don't like Lucic.

The thing is I don't think that they're terrible guys. I just don't think they are who we should be targeting to bring in next year either though. Their contracts are my main concern with them coming here.

However, I think the thing with Kane would have been handled much better by a guy like Henrik or Toews or Crosby etc. Those guys are all great leaders and they are the types of players we should have leading our kids.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
The thing is I don't think that they're terrible guys. I just don't think they are who we should be targeting to bring in next year either though. Their contracts are my main concern with them coming here.

However, I think the thing with Kane would have been handled much better by a guy like Henrik or Toews or Crosby etc. Those guys are all great leaders and they are the types of players we should have leading our kids.

Guys like Toews and Crosby do not hit FA.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ok...

Who's in favor of a Vrbata for a Pominville trade?

Both are sucking hard for their respective team.

We have to eat a bunch of term for Pominville which means the Wild will eat some of his salary.

Pominville becomes our playmaking winger for our non-playmaking center Sutter.

Vrbata gets to play with Granland or Koivu.

I think win win for both clubs.

I don't see the point. We aren't competing. If we're trading Vrbata, it's going to be for assets for a rebuild.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't see the point. We aren't competing. If we're trading Vrbata, it's going to be for assets for a rebuild.

Don't want pominville.

Want picks and good/great prospects.

Vrbata is not going to get us a top 5 pick or prospect and a pick/prospect outside of the top 5 isn't going to help this team for at least the next 4 years.

Sutter is an asset that we have RIGHT NOW and by the looks of it, he'll be a Canuck till contract end (2020-21).

So it really is to our advantage to try to figure out a way to get him going that doesn't involve waiting for Horvat or McCann to age 3/4 years.

At age 26, chances are slim that Sutter will magically grow playmaking abilities so we need to seriously look at getting a playmaking winger for him. Pominville is a possible answer.

Or we can continue to fumble and bumble until the Sedins actually DO retire and our team legitimately enters our 2nd dark age.

PS. You can stop thinking about a rebuild because that train left a long time ago.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
Okay, but why can't we acquire good players in FA?

I doubt Bringing in Byff and Lucic would hurt the team.

Did you not read my rant about how their long-term, expensive contracts would ruin us for 4 years?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Vrbata is not going to get us a top 5 pick or prospect and a pick/prospect outside of the top 5 isn't going to help this team for at least the next 4 years.

Sutter is an asset that we have RIGHT NOW and by the looks of it, he'll be a Canuck till contract end (2020-21).

So it really is to our advantage to try to figure out a way to get him going that doesn't involve waiting for Horvat or McCann to age 3/4 years.

At age 26, chances are slim that Sutter will magically grow playmaking abilities so we need to seriously look at getting a playmaking winger for him. Pominville is a possible answer.

Or we can continue to fumble and bumble until the Sedins actually DO retire and our team legitimately enters our 2nd dark age.

PS. You can stop thinking about a rebuild because that train left a long time ago.

Who is asking for a top 5 pick in return for Vrbata? That's not even realistic.

Sutter will magically grow playmaking abilities, that sounds like Sbisa will magically become a top four defensemen over time, or at least according to Benning. It's a pipe dream. Sutter is what he is.

You think acquiring Pominville improves this team? That can compete for a Cup? Sorry to burst your bubble, but even though the Sedins are here, we aren't a Cup contender...Pominville doesn't change that.

The rebuild train has not left at all - I'd argue it hasn't even been put on the tracks to get to the station yet.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
I don't get it.

People are rightfully complaining about our cap now. How do we have no cap space when we have 6 ENTRY LEVEL DEALS? Why does everyone think this problem will go away if we throw 14 million dollars at two players? Be it Byfuglien, Yandle, Lucic, whoever, they are going to be expensive. They are going to completely tie us down cap wise after 2-3 years.

We don't need guys like Byfuglien and Lucic in the room while we are introducing our youth. Everyone complains about how much of a jerk Lucic is; spearing guys in the balls and whatnot. But as soon as they see he could come over here they forget about that. WHY?

I understand what you are saying. If we did sign those guys in the offseason, we would probably be a better team on the ice. I'm not denying that. But when we are paying a slow fourth liner and a bottom pair defenseman 7 million dollars a piece for 4 MORE YEARS after 3 years, everyone will be up in arms.

Finally some sense in this thread.

I can't believe the people complaining about JB's signings are the same ones who want to throw 7m at Lucic and Buff. That's CAPstration

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Who is asking for a top 5 pick in return for Vrbata? That's not even realistic.

Sutter will magically grow playmaking abilities, that sounds like Sbisa will magically become a top four defensemen over time, or at least according to Benning. It's a pipe dream. Sutter is what he is.

You think acquiring Pominville improves this team? That can compete for a Cup? Sorry to burst your bubble, but even though the Sedins are here, we aren't a Cup contender...Pominville doesn't change that.

The rebuild train has not left at all - I'd argue it hasn't even been put on the tracks to get to the station yet.

Ok I guess that's why they call this thread the fantasy gm thread.

You keep planning on a rebuild and the rest of us will live in the reality that is now which is JB's 5 year plan part deux.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Ok I guess that's why they call this thread the fantasy gm thread.

You keep planning on a rebuild and the rest of us will live in the reality that is now which is JB's 5 year plan part deux.

I know we won't get a rebuild...that's the exact problem a lot of people have hence the reasons why people are clamoring for Vrbata, Hamhuis etc to get moved. Our owner is more focused on getting playoff revenue for two home games and he is happy.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Can we not sign Byfug and Lucic? Both will require minimum six year deals.

I stick to the free agents I listed earlier - Boedker, Ladd, and Demers.

Spaling/Helm as bottom six guys if we really let go of people.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Finally some sense in this thread.

I can't believe the people complaining about JB's signings are the same ones who want to throw 7m at Lucic and Buff. That's CAPstration

What's wrong with signing good players to contracts?

JB signs bad players to bad contracts. That's the problem.

Sbisa is not worth 3.6m, Dorsett is not worth 2.64m, Miller is not worth 6m ect.....

As long as the contract and term for Lucic/Byff are decent I see no problem with signing them.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I really like Byfuglien, I'd target him in a heartbeat. After that there's a few guys. Ladd and Boedker would be okay targets depending on prices and term

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
As long as the contract and term for Lucic/Byff are decent I see no problem with signing them.

The issue is the term. Do you sign a 30 year old Ladd/Byfuglien to a 7 year deal?

Would prefer Lucic due to his age, but even then you have to be a little weary. Guys that don't skate well seem to be having a tough time in today's game and that trend could get even more pronounced going forward, as teams move away from physical defensemen and replace them with fleet of foot puck movers.

I would love to have a big, mean bully like Lucic on the team. On the flip side, I think skating is the single most important attribute going forward. Tough call on that one.

Boedker for less term and cheaper might be the best way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad