Roster and Fantasy GM Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
According to Elliotte Friedman, the Isles are quietly shopping Travis Hamonic and he'd prefer playing for a Western Canadian team.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-york-islanders-trying-to-trade-hamonic/
Several sources indicate Snow is not interested in a picks or prospects type of return. He’s looking for equal-level replacement.

My guess is that Edmonton makes a trade with them. They desperately need a top 4 RHD like Hamonic, and then have plenty of young players they can move.

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver
According to Elliotte Friedman, the Isles are quietly shopping Travis Hamonic and he'd prefer playing for a Western Canadian team.

My guess is that Edmonton makes a trade with them. They desperately need a top 4 RHD like Hamonic, and then have plenty of young players they can move.

What could we even offer that would make sense?

To me Edler for Hamonic straight up is a fair deal. We get younger and probably the better player going forward, but NY gets an instant replacement that isn't much worse considering the situation they're in.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
What could we even offer that would make sense?

To me Edler for Hamonic straight up is a fair deal. We get younger and probably the better player going forward, but NY gets an instant replacement that isn't much worse considering the situation they're in.

Not sure Edler waives and when him and Tanev are on they are dynamite.

Would hamhuis waive considering he's in the last year of his deal?

Hamhuis
Baertschi (or if need be shinkaruk)
For
Hamonic

Am I out to lunch thinking this could work?

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
I can't see him coming here.

1. Vancouver is pretty far away from his home in Manitoba.

2. Edmonton has more tantalizing assets they could send back.

3. Winnipeg could easily swing a deal if they decide they'd like to swap one of their RDs for Hamonic.

4. Minnesota is actually the closest NHL city to Manitoba outside of the Jets, so if proximity is his #1 priority, they have a better chance than us despite being in the US (they'll also visit Manitoba several more times per year than we do).

Hamhuis
For
Hamonic

Not even close.

IMO they'll want a solid young piece in return for the one they're giving away.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver

Hamhuis
For
Hamonic

Hamonic is worth more than that. You'd have to add at least a first onto that deal.

Think of what we would want for Tanev. That's what NYI is going to want for Hamonic.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Hamonic is worth more than that. You'd have to add at least a first onto that deal.

Think of what we would want for Tanev. That's what NYI is going to want for Hamonic.

Exactly.

And we would laugh at the notion of receiving a 33-year old 2nd-pairing UFA D-man as the centerpiece of the package coming back.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Any trade for Hamonic would likely see us shipping Tanev their way.

Which, at best, is a lateral move and makes no sense for us.

If they want a good young D-man in return we really have no chance and that probably puts Winnipeg and Minnesota in the driver's seat.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Which, at best, is a lateral move and makes no sense for us.

If they want a good young D-man in return we really have no chance and that probably puts Winnipeg and Minnesota in the driver's seat.

Pretty much. Unless all of the other teams want to play hardball in negotiations I don't think we have a horse in the race.

I see it pretty much as Edmonton vs Winnipeg. He specified Western canadian likely because even though Minnesota is closer you don't have to deal with customs constantly and there's more consistent direct flights. Just a hunch.

Plus is could also be the family is willing to move but can't get the appropriate documents or visas to do so to the US.

Last edited:

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Eberle for Harmonic seems like a good basis for a deal but it leaves the Islanders pretty thin on defense. I'd love to somehow make a trade for Harmonic based around Hamhuis but I don't see the Islanders biting unless we add pretty heavily as Hamhuis is a pending UFA and way older. Not sure that Hamhuis would waive to go there either, he is in complete control with where he ends up. If he makes it to FA he can pretty much choose where to play as there will be many offers.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Eberle for Harmonic seems like a good basis for a deal but it leaves the Islanders pretty thin on defense. I'd love to somehow make a trade for Harmonic based around Hamhuis but I don't see the Islanders biting unless we add pretty heavily as Hamhuis is a pending UFA and way older. Not sure that Hamhuis would waive to go there either, he is in complete control with where he ends up. If he makes it to FA he can pretty much choose where to play as there will be many offers.

I'm not sure if the Islanders would want a forward back even with Okposo going to UFA. They have a glut of talented young forward prospects that could take his place easily.

Plus Eberle's had a rough couple years injury wise and hasn't been as productive recently and comes with a $6M tag which is what I thought Okposo was asking for and they thought was too much.

I know they have a lot of young D but they're not as developed to take a top 4 spot on a good team. Probably why they want a defenseman back.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Speaking of Hamhuis, really hope he pulls a Vermette and gets traded at the deadline for a chance at the cup and then signs back here next summer.

It's a win/win/win. We get a good asset or two back, he takes a run at a ring and still stays here long-term.

It's being hopeful but it's the best-case scenario and very possible if all parties involved were okay with it. Frankly I'd be disappointed if it didn't work out this way.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Speaking of Hamhuis, really hope he pulls a Vermette and gets traded at the deadline for a chance at the cup and then signs back here next summer.

It's a win/win. We get a good asset or two back, he takes a run at a ring and still stays here long-term.

I wouldn't doubt it. He seems like a kind of guy who would want to do that.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010

Absolutely wild.

Harsh for the Isles who seemed to be building a good thing with their blueline finally, and Hamonic is obviously a huge part of that...and signed to an amazing contract for a long time to come.

Hard to imagine that by "Western Canada" they actually mean "halfway across the country from Manitoba", but i suppose YVR to Winnipeg direct is actually a reasonably common flight, and not really that bad at all, without customs and all the rest especially.

Doubt we have the pieces to do a deal there though anyway. The only thing i'd imagine would even put it in the ballpark would be some sort of Edler for Hamonic swap...which i'd be interested in for sure, but it's hard to imagine Edler waiving for that NY/Brooklyn Islanders situation.

It'd certainly be worth getting Snow on the horn to find out if that's even close though.

Hamhuis-Tanev
Hutton-Hamonic
Sbisa-Player

fits together a lot more smoothly than the blueline is currently constructed. And as good as Edler-Tanev can be, i think Hamhuis-Tanev can still be a very effective shutdown pairing, and finding a perfect partner for Hutton moving forward would be huge for the balance of our blueline in the next few years.

Seems a major longshot, but enticing nonetheless.

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
So lets say that trade talks involving Hamonic continue for the next 2-3 months. Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg and Edmonton all have leverage when making a deal for him, so they wait it out until both Hamonic and Snow get desperate. As they wait it out, their offers decrease in value, eventually getting to the point where the main offers include a solid #5 defenseman and parts. The Canucks could come in at this time and make a big offer.

Edler is a guy with a lot of value around the league. The Islanders are looking for a right-handed top-4 defenseman. However, when the other teams start to decrease the value of their packages, they would no longer be getting the top-4 right handed defenseman they wanted. When we make a deal around Edler, we suddenly have the most valuable package. Again, it still doesn't have EXACTLY what they asked for, but Edler could replace Hamonic's minutes. The bottom line is, they get Edler instead or a guy like Wideman or Fayne.

To NYI:

Edler

To VAN:

Hamonic

(or something along those lines)

The Islanders D-core would still be ready for the playoffs. With Leddy as their #1 and Boychuk still capable of playing #2 for a little while, Edler would be a very nice #3. When Boychuk starts to slow down, de Haan could move up (if he's ready).

Leddy - Boychuk
Edler - de Haan
Hickey - Zidlickey

Meanwhile in Vancouver, we lose our #1 defenseman. However you felt about Edler, he was our #1. Hamhuis could step in and fill his minutes for this year, but we would need a replacement.

Hamhuis - Tanev
Bartkowski - Hamonic
Hutton - Sbisa

Tanev would be our #1 with Hamhuis being our #2. However, we could switch off Hamhuis and Hamonic like crazy to reduce the minutes on Hamhuis. Its not the ideal situation, but we would need to do it for Hamonic.

Next year, we would pretty much be forced to resign Hamhuis. With Hutton most likely stepping up, we wouldn't be too bad:

Hamhuis - Tanev
Hutton - Hamonic
Sbisa - Weber/Tryamkin/Pedan

We would have Tryamkin and Briesbois in the system as likely top-4 replacements down the line.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
From the Avs board

I would strongly consider Barrie and Bleackley for Tanev and Boeser. Barrie > Tanev but Boeser > Bleackley. Not sure if Vancouver does it though but if they see what they're getting in Barrie it's worth it. This is all for $ sake for COL

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
i wouldn't do that. tanev on his contract is one of the best assets in the nhl short of players that are competing for the hart trophy every year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad