Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Spooner is really not a good player. He's basically Linden Vey only better on the PP. Complete ES liability.

Given that we've already signed a bit better version of the exact same player in Gagner, he's really not a fit here. Unless we're trying to acquire every single small, soft, defensively weak forward in the league.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Sure, but to get rid of Sutter's contract/term, I'd take Spooner on a one year deal at 8M if needed.

Trade Granlund for a 3rd. Rid of an awful contract and up a draft pick, with only a marginal difference to the roster.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Yeah, no issue with that Dorsett/Spooner deal. Especially if we cranked up Spooner's ice time and moved him for futures at the deadline.

Ditching Sutter would immediately buy management some good grace from me. I just can't stand watching him play 16+ minutes per night. He's awful.

If we somehow killed the Sbisa, Sutter, and Dorsett contracts all in one off-season that would be pretty epic.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Fair enough, but you can never have too many Bergerons :sarcasm:

Spooner isn't a negative at 3M, but he's close at 4M. I'd suggest that on the assumption that if they're trading a center they want one back, and certainly for Vancouver there is a "logjam" already for middle-6-ish offensive role centers.

And I swear I saw somewhere that there's been speculation that Dorsett is a borderline LTIR for the season candidate? Can't find anything now though.
spooner makes vey look like selke candidate.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Sure, but to get rid of Sutter's contract/term, I'd take Spooner on a one year deal at 8M if needed.

Trade Granlund for a 3rd. Rid of an awful contract and up a draft pick, with only a marginal difference to the roster.

Yes our leading 2nd leading goal scorer making 950k a year is the problem.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI

It's a huge problem he's our 2nd leading goal scorer, yes.

It's also a problem he doesn't score enough in the ice time he's fed to make up for the fact he's horrible at nearly every other facet of the game at the NHL level.

I would trade him for a 3rd and give his ice time to someone else.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

:rolleyes: Sutter is obviously the problem. Granlund and Spooner are as interchangeable as it gets. Granlund is probably worth an okay pick, so if you're acquiring a player just like him, move him.

Or would you want to have all three of Granlund, Spooner and Gagner in the middle along with Henrik, Horvat and one of Gaunce/Chaput/Burmistrov?

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
If I look at the Canucks roster and ask the following question:
"If you could void their contract right now, making that player a UFA, thus the Canucks get no compensation for that player, would you do it?"
How many players would we really want to keep?

Dan, Hank, Loui - 3 old Swedes. Loui, for sure, we want out of the final 5 years of his contract. Twins, I doubt they play close to a $7 million production. Are they going to fetch us assets at the TDL? No, I doubt a team can stomach $10.5 million in cap space, plus, I think most good teams would only want 1 of them (most likely Hank) and use their cap space for Dan on a PKer or Dman. So, for the twins, I'm indifferent on them. Main thing is to not extend them a contract. This is their final year on the team.

Sutter, Gagner, Dorset - older vets - Dorsett is overpaid for what he brings to the table. So, no issue if his deal was ripped up. Gagner just signed, so no real loss there. Sutter, have to retain to get asset in return.

Burmistrov, Gaunce, Rodin - Rodin and Burmistrov were UFA's, so nothing lost if their deals were ripped up. Small enough deals to not impact the club. Gaunce, expected a bit more from him last season. Give him this season to show he is a legit NHLer. Has to contribute on the PK and checking role.

Chaput, Megna, Boucher - AHL fodder. No issues if their deals were ripped up.

Bo, Sven, Granny - keep them all.

Brock, Goldy, Jake - all ELC so keep them all.

Maybe 1/3 of this group of 15 forwards I would definitely keep. Bo, Sven, Granny, Gaunce, and I'm willing to give Rodin a shot in the hopes his knee is healthy. Indifferent on the twins.

On D, I keep most of what they have. Tanev need him unless a return is outstanding for him. Edler keep, in hopes that he waives come July when he is eligible to sign a contract extensive. Hutton, need him. Stecher, need him. Gudbranson, have to keep him for the asset. I don't see him being a long term fixture for the team. Move him at the TDL. MDZ, was a UFA, so no ties to him. Beiga/Wiercoch, tweeners/7th Dmen.

Goalies, both are overpaid based on what they have shown so far. Don't like the 2nd year on Nilsson's contract.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Eriksson and Dorsett.

Sutter i would say too if we were tight to the cap.

if you dumped the 8.65 million of the 2 above and just didn't sign any more stupid contracts i would say letting the Sedins Edler Sutter Gudbranson and whoever play out the existing deals and or being traded for futures is just fine.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If I look at the Canucks roster and ask the following question:
"If you could void their contract right now, making that player a UFA, thus the Canucks get no compensation for that player, would you do it?"
How many players would we really want to keep?

Dan, Hank, Loui - 3 old Swedes. Loui, for sure, we want out of the final 5 years of his contract. Twins, I doubt they play close to a $7 million production. Are they going to fetch us assets at the TDL? No, I doubt a team can stomach $10.5 million in cap space, plus, I think most good teams would only want 1 of them (most likely Hank) and use their cap space for Dan on a PKer or Dman. So, for the twins, I'm indifferent on them. Main thing is to not extend them a contract. This is their final year on the team.

I'm with you there. Loui would be the first I would use a "compliance buyout" on. If we had a ton more, I'd give the Sedins a look, though since it's only one more year I can live with it. They won't produce anywhere close to what they're being paid to do (something I said when these contracts were signed...it's funny how many people disagreed with me...I told ya so), but it's only one year. Just don't re-sign them.

Sutter, Gagner, Dorset - older vets - Dorsett is overpaid for what he brings to the table. So, no issue if his deal was ripped up. Gagner just signed, so no real loss there. Sutter, have to retain to get asset in return.

Burmistrov, Gaunce, Rodin - Rodin and Burmistrov were UFA's, so nothing lost if their deals were ripped up. Small enough deals to not impact the club. Gaunce, expected a bit more from him last season. Give him this season to show he is a legit NHLer. Has to contribute on the PK and checking role.

Sutter would be the second player I'd cut loose. For me the asset we get for him is the cap space. He's a terrible player, definitely not someone who should be considered a foundational player. He's a 4C or a 3W. I'd dump Dorsett too, but would keep Gagner.

I'd be fine keeping Burmistrov, Gaunce, and Rodin.

Chaput, Megna, Boucher - AHL fodder. No issues if their deals were ripped up.

Bo, Sven, Granny - keep them all.

Brock, Goldy, Jake - all ELC so keep them all.

I'd have Chaput and Megna in the AHL. Wouldn't consider them for an NHL role. Boucher is one of those tweeners. I prefer him to Granlund to be honest.

Bo and Baertschi I'd hold on to, no need to rip up their contracts. Granlund is on a cheap deal so I'd keep him around but doubt I'd re-sign him. I have a feeling the next contract Benning gives him will be buyout worthy.

On D, I keep most of what they have. Tanev need him unless a return is outstanding for him. Edler keep, in hopes that he waives come July when he is eligible to sign a contract extensive. Hutton, need him. Stecher, need him. Gudbranson, have to keep him for the asset. I don't see him being a long term fixture for the team. Move him at the TDL. MDZ, was a UFA, so no ties to him. Beiga/Wiercoch, tweeners/7th Dmen.

Goalies, both are overpaid based on what they have shown so far. Don't like the 2nd year on Nilsson's contract.

The asset we get for Gudbranson is the cap space. If we can trade him for something useful then absolutely do it. But if nobody is willing to give anything for him then cut him loose. He's useless.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Yeah, it really won't be close.

Their forwards probably aren't *that* much different than ours, but their defense is the worst in the NHL by a country mile. They don't have a single defender on their roster that I'd qualify as a legitimate top-4 guy. They're going to get eviscerated defensively and will be lucky to finish with much more than 50 points.

It's actually kind of amazing with the quality of defenders exposed and the amount of defenders they've selected that they ended up with a group of defenders this completely horrible. Like, Luca Sbisa might end up as a top-pairing guy for that team.

I expect we'll get about a 10-point bounce into the ~80 point range next year, maybe 85 if we have good luck with injuries. We'll still be a bad team hovering around bottom-5 territory, but teams always get a bit of a lift from a new coach, and we do have a bit better depth up front than in the previous two years.

miller is probably their best dman and maybe theodore has a breakout year but yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad