Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
From the last thread...

I can't see STL qualifying Yakupov... I kinda want to sign him if that's the case?

I'd sign him...to a two-way contract and start him in the AHL to focus on improving his overall game. There are better options that even we could sign to an NHL contract. He turns 24 in October and hasn't really improved in the last few years. It would be more beneficial to give the ice time to guys like Goldobin/Boucher/Rodin/etc.

I'd rather take a chance on someone like Yanni Gourde or Jordan Weal, or sign an older guy like Versteeg/Vanek (not likely) or Hudler/Hemsky (more realistic) and try to flip them at the deadline or the following season.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
From the last thread...

I'd sign him...to a two-way contract and start him in the AHL to focus on improving his overall game. There are better options that even we could sign to an NHL contract. He turns 24 in October and hasn't really improved in the last few years. It would be more beneficial to give the ice time to guys like Goldobin/Boucher/Rodin/etc.

I'd rather take a chance on someone like Yanni Gourde or Jordan Weal, or sign an older guy like Versteeg/Vanek (not likely) or Hudler/Hemsky (more realistic) and try to flip them at the deadline or the following season.

Still would need to go through waivers and Dont see Yak making it passed Vegas. I dont want him here at all. Just let Vegas sign him as a UFA for cheap until he heads back to Russia.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
From the last thread...

Holy! Has it really been 6 years since Yak was drafted? My gawd I feel old.
The Canucks right now should be looking at players who should be proven 2way/PK types of players. We traded 2 of our best PK forwards and the whole special teams took a nose dive, we have oodles of potential "scorers" but none are high quality 2way defensive forwards.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Holy! Has it really been 6 years since Yak was drafted? My gawd I feel old.

5. Yak was a late '93 drafted in '12. But yeah, I remember a poster on this board seeing him live in Sarnia and texting me "yeah, he's the real deal!"

I digress.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
5. Yak was a late '93 drafted in '12. But yeah, I remember a poster on this board seeing him live in Sarnia and texting me "yeah, he's the real deal!"

I digress.

That's still a half decade of mediocre hockey from someone who got the oodles of hype train going into his draft. That 2012 draft just wasn't good, by like any standards.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
edit oops figured it out pretty quick

Ah you beat me to it. My understanding is he isnt waiver exempt anymore. A two way contract only means he gets paid more than minimum in the AHL. Im not 100% on waiver stuff anymore though

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I can think of worse projects to sign for his QO in this UFA season. As it stands, we are a cap floor team after signing Horvat and Gudbranson, and especially if we lose Sbisa or Dorsett in the offseason (Vegas or injury/retirement respectively), even the cap space isn't a problem for us.

Benning and capspace are a bad mix. So the more low risk, low percentage, high reward players we get, the safer I will feel. Vrbata's first year and Miller, then Eriksson....picture all three, that's what we can afford this off season with tons of mediocre players coming off decent seasons from good teams. Do we want Alzner for 6 million for 7 years? What about Sharp or Wideman or Williams or Eaves? Ladies and gentlemen, Patrick Eaves had a 32 goal season for probably the only time in his career and is UFA....Or do we even want to guess what kind of money he'd throw at Shattenkirk or Oshie (not that I'd mind if they can still put up points here)?

Nope, I'll take Yakupov, and maybe a few role players like Winnik or McClemment or Thorburn or Polak short term as insurance for our PK, bottom line/pairing and physicality. Or a cap dump of the Seabrook variety, ie a very bad term for some big futures.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Ah you beat me to it. My understanding is he isnt waiver exempt anymore. A two way contract only means he gets paid more than minimum in the AHL. Im not 100% on waiver stuff anymore though

yeah i forgot he would be getting bought out

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Wow, I had no idea. Did Oilers do that or did the Blues extend him?

btw- what was his draft year....or better yet, who was the top 5 from his draft?

Are you trying to be dense or what? I can exactly tell.
But Oil took Yak, CBJ took Murray, MTL took Galchenyuk, NYI took Reinhart and the Laughs toolbar Reilly. Then had Burke go out to the media and say he'd have taken Reilly #1. Canucks took second coming of Manny Malhotra 26th in Gaunce :yo:

But thank you to the other poster who actually got the joke.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
Are you trying to be dense or what? I can exactly tell.
But Oil took Yak, CBJ took Murray, MTL took Galchenyuk, NYI took Reinhart and the Laughs toolbar Reilly. Then had Burke go out to the media and say he'd have taken Reilly #1. Canucks took second coming of Manny Malhotra 26th in Gaunce :yo:

But thank you to the other poster who actually got the joke.

hilariously, reilly at #1 might still be the best pick in the top 5

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Eklund says Canucks are making a play for Paul Byron. Wonder what we will have to move for him.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Eklund says Canucks are making a play for Paul Byron. Wonder what we will have to move for him.

What an absurd rumour.

Montreal isn't going to be moving one of their better players who is on one of the biggest bargain contracts in the league for another two years.

And we certainly shouldn't be packaging anything up for a 28 y/o middle-6 forward.

Of course, it is Jim Benning we're talking about so his thought process probably isn't more advanced that watching a Montreal game and going 'OOOH HE REAL FAST! WANT HIM NOW!'.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Based on trade history this seems like the type of return Benning would want for Virtanen, and we'll throw in a 2nd rounder.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I call BS on the Eklund rumor. Benning doesn't like 5'8 hockey players.

Unless he wants to dump Sutter there's no deal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad