Roster and Fantasy GM Thread Pt. XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Vegas will definitely be the worst team in the league next year.

They have better starting goaltender, Canucks will probably allow more goals and stay competitive with the worst teams. The Canucks may score more goals though, debatable sure but it's possible

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I have little doubt Vegas will be better then us next year. They'll probably become a better team then us faster too.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
They have better starting goaltender, Canucks will probably allow more goals and stay competitive with the worst teams. The Canucks may score more goals though, debatable sure but it's possible

There's a decent chance they finish higher in the standings than the Canucks.

I have little doubt Vegas will be better then us next year. They'll probably become a better team then us faster too.

Uh...wouldn't take much for LVGK to be better than the Canucks. My guess is it comes down to the wire assuming neither team is badly hit by the injury bug.

We'll see. They have a terrible defense, and that terrible defense is going to kill them on both sides of the ice. Also, I have no doubt they will be selling off anything they can for draft picks and prospects as they get closer to the deadline while the Canucks have shown little willingness to do that.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'd be willing to bet decent money ($50 or so) that Vegas finishes below us.

Their roster is flat out terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if we and them were 15+ points apart in the standings by the end of the season.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Their roster is flat out terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if we and them were 15+ points apart in the standings by the end of the season.

Yeah, it really won't be close.

Their forwards probably aren't *that* much different than ours, but their defense is the worst in the NHL by a country mile. They don't have a single defender on their roster that I'd qualify as a legitimate top-4 guy. They're going to get eviscerated defensively and will be lucky to finish with much more than 50 points.

It's actually kind of amazing with the quality of defenders exposed and the amount of defenders they've selected that they ended up with a group of defenders this completely horrible. Like, Luca Sbisa might end up as a top-pairing guy for that team.

I expect we'll get about a 10-point bounce into the ~80 point range next year, maybe 85 if we have good luck with injuries. We'll still be a bad team hovering around bottom-5 territory, but teams always get a bit of a lift from a new coach, and we do have a bit better depth up front than in the previous two years.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Yeah, it really won't be close.

Their forwards probably aren't *that* much different than ours, but their defense is the worst in the NHL by a country mile. They don't have a single defender on their roster that I'd qualify as a legitimate top-4 guy. They're going to get eviscerated defensively and will be lucky to finish with much more than 50 points.

It's actually kind of amazing with the quality of defenders exposed and the amount of defenders they've selected that they ended up with a group of defenders this completely horrible. Like, Luca Sbisa might end up as a top-pairing guy for that team.

I expect we'll get about a 10-point bounce into the ~80 point range next year, maybe 85 if we have good luck with injuries. We'll still be a bad team hovering around bottom-5 territory, but teams always get a bit of a lift from a new coach, and we do have a bit better depth up front than in the previous two years.

They should have been able to do better at the expansion draft, but we don't know what the other outcomes could have been. It certainly appeared that they could have an amazing D.

Instead they killed it at the draft, and loaded up for more picks to keep killing it. I can't say it was a bad strategy at all. By next season, I'd probably be tempted to trade our entire organisation (players and prospects) for theirs (not including the obvious management swap).

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
They should have been able to do better at the expansion draft, but we don't know what the other outcomes could have been. It certainly appeared that they could have an amazing D.

Instead they killed it at the draft, and loaded up for more picks to keep killing it. I can't say it was a bad strategy at all. By next season, I'd probably be tempted to trade our entire organisation (players and prospects) for theirs (not including the obvious management swap).

Oh, absolutely.

They're unquestionably going the 'tank from the start' route and trying to get top-3 draft picks in their first couple years as opposed to going the Minnesota Wild 'do our best right away' route.

And fair enough - based on the amount of picks they've accumulated, they should have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL inside of two years.

I am surprised they didn't keep at least one quality defender to give some stability, though.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Trade idea: Let's say Ryan Spooner gets 3m/1yr via arbitration. Trade Dorsett for Spooner?

Also, the rumour (CA) was that it was actually Sutter that may have been the player going back for Demers, not Gudbranson. Could this signal a Sutter move?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Trade idea: Let's say Ryan Spooner gets 3m/1yr via arbitration. Trade Dorsett for Spooner?

Also, the rumour (CA) was that it was actually Sutter that may have been the player going back for Demers, not Gudbranson. Could this signal a Sutter move?

Not with Gagner already here and Bo still unsigned. Moving Dorsett if he's healthy for a small, soft center and not bringing in a replacement penalty kill player would probably also be a downgrade for the roster, despite the upgrade on paper.

Despite that though, would definitely move Sutter for Spooner. Even if he ends up getting 4M in arbitration (won't happen, but hey).

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

It's early days, yet. LVK needs to make some trades and some waiver claims before we see how they pan out. The Vegas defense is a laughable and they are weak as kittens down the middle. That may change. Teams dump guys after camp. A couple of good pickups and they will skate away from the dreadful Canucks.

For discussion purposes, let's imagine you took Edler and Horvat away from the Canucks and added them to LVK. It would change everything and it is only two guys! Lots of time to make changes before the teams all settle down.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Oh, absolutely.

They're unquestionably going the 'tank from the start' route and trying to get top-3 draft picks in their first couple years as opposed to going the Minnesota Wild 'do our best right away' route.

And fair enough - based on the amount of picks they've accumulated, they should have one of the top prospect pools in the NHL inside of two years.

I am surprised they didn't keep at least one quality defender to give some stability, though.

They went just a bit too far with the picks IMO. Still an exceptional start IMO.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Not with Gagner already here and Bo still unsigned. Moving Dorsett if he's healthy for a small, soft center and not bringing in a replacement penalty kill player would probably also be a downgrade for the roster, despite the upgrade on paper.

Despite that though, would definitely move Sutter for Spooner. Even if he ends up getting 4M in arbitration (won't happen, but hey).

Dorsett is a negative asset at this point. A 4th liner making 2.65m per is not providing good value. Is he a plus penalty killer?

I do that trade no question.

Sutter's contract is going to be very difficult to move, IMO. Just scanning the teams around the league, there's really no one that needs a player like him out east. In the west, only Edmonton seems a fit.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Why would Boston do that?

And where's the source on Demers for Sutter?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Why would Boston do that?

And where's the source on Demers for Sutter?

Source for Demers for Sutter was a CA podcast. I believe it was episode #31, though not 100% sure.

Boston does it because they don't want to give Spooner a raise to 3m. Only to have to negotiate a longer deal next year. Dorsett is cost controlled at a lesser value, and shores up the depth on RW for them (a surplus position for VAN).

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Source for Demers for Sutter was a CA podcast. I believe it was episode #31, though not 100% sure.

It seems the sutter talk was mostly from people wishing it was sutter just to get rid of the contract (similar to Demers). There could be some merit in it, if the plan was to have Demers take Tanev's place, trade Tanev and replace Sutter with Gagner. Still outside of fan wishes there doesn't seem to be any links to Sutter I could find.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Dorsett is a negative asset at this point. A 4th liner making 2.65m per is not providing good value. Is he a plus penalty killer?

I do that trade no question.

Sutter's contract is going to be very difficult to move, IMO. Just scanning the teams around the league, there's really no one that needs a player like him out east. In the west, only Edmonton seems a fit.

Dorsett might be on LTIR and if not, has only one year left after this. Sutter has three. :laugh: I probably do that trade because it's good on paper, and you could just immediately trade Granlund and move one of Gagner/Spooner to the wing. But Spooner isn't really needed here and Sutter's contract is more negative value than Dorsett, so I'd rather get rid of him first.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

Boston does it because they don't want to give Spooner a raise to 3m. Only to have to negotiate a longer deal next year. Dorsett is cost controlled at a lesser value, and shores up the depth on RW for them (a surplus position for VAN).

That podcast was from before free agency, and since then all indications are that it was Gudbranson for Demers. Sutter for Demers would have been great, but it's doubtful that was ever a thing.

Derek Dorsett has obvious negative value, not sure how you can turn that into a player with some value.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
It seems the sutter talk was mostly from people wishing it was sutter just to get rid of the contract (similar to Demers). There could be some merit in it, if the plan was to have Demers take Tanev's place, trade Tanev and replace Sutter with Gagner. Still outside of fan wishes there doesn't seem to be any links to Sutter I could find.

Their podcasts are extensive (I prefer this), but it will take me some time to relocate where they said this. Have to listen again.

Dorsett might be on LTIR and if not, has only one year left after this. Sutter has three. :laugh: I probably do that trade because it's good on paper, and you could just immediately trade Granlund and move one of Gagner/Spooner to the wing. But Spooner isn't really needed here and Sutter's contract is more negative value than Dorsett, so I'd rather get rid of him first.

Of course, but BOS has limited cap space. Further, they have good centre depth. So for them, Dorsett works and Sutter does not work.

Right now, I'm just trying to think of ways to get rid of the contracts doled out to Sutter, Dorsett and to a lesser extent Gudbranson.

That podcast was from before free agency, and since then all indications are that it was Gudbranson for Demers. Sutter for Demers would have been great, but it's doubtful that was ever a thing.

Derek Dorsett has obvious negative value, not sure how you can turn that into a player with some value.

At 3m per, Spooner would have dubious value as well. Perhaps not an outright negative, but that number is pushing the boundaries of his usefulness.

Did you listen to the Podcast? Was Sutter for Demers mentioned in episode #31?

I'm going to try and dig this information up again.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver

Fleury? That's why Pittsburgh gave Vegas a 2nd rounder to take him right. I think it's time we get over the narrative that Fleury is good. He sucks. He can get hot for two weeks and that's it. Pickard is better than Fleury

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Their podcasts are extensive (I prefer this), but it will take me some time to relocate where they said this. Have to listen again.

Of course, but BOS has limited cap space. Further, they have good centre depth. So for them, Dorsett works and Sutter does not work.

Right now, I'm just trying to think of ways to get rid of the contracts doled out to Sutter, Dorsett and to a lesser extent Gudbranson.

At 3m per, Spooner would have dubious value as well. Perhaps not an outright negative, but that number is pushing the boundaries of his usefulness.

Did you listen to the Podcast? Was Sutter for Demers mentioned in episode #31?

I'm going to try and dig this information up again.

I listened to the podcast at the time, but didn't listen again. I don't remember there being actual speculation of Sutter for Demers.

I also don't think Spooner for 3 million on a 1yr deal is negative, it's perfectly reasonable.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Fair enough, but you can never have too many Bergerons :sarcasm:

Spooner isn't a negative at 3M, but he's close at 4M. I'd suggest that on the assumption that if they're trading a center they want one back, and certainly for Vancouver there is a "logjam" already for middle-6-ish offensive role centers.

And I swear I saw somewhere that there's been speculation that Dorsett is a borderline LTIR for the season candidate? Can't find anything now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad