Line Combos: Roster 2021-2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah…. That’s a single season….a crazy weird single season with no real comprables…. And Copp Had a career high shooting percentage…doubtful he keeps it up.

if he can I’ll be extremely happy,. I see how good he is away from the puck…

But last night, with the setups he had…. Yeah he should have had at least one…. And it just looked like the same old player who can do everything but shoot and score.

do you expect him to shoot a higher % with ehlers+stastny/pld? or with some other line combos he's been with over the years ie: Copp-Lowry-Tanev/Lemieux-Copp-Appleton/Copp-Lowry-Appleton? Think playing top6 calibre linemates should yield better scoring efficiency

he was a 10.7% Shooter coming into this year, and shot 13% in 2021. it's a difference of 2.6 goals given the shot volume stays the same, so the difference between crazy high & doubtful to keep it up is merely 2-3 goals less.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We don’t need Copp to score a ton of goals on our second line - Ehlers and PLD should be able to do that... but his play driving style really complements those two - more than statsny imo

people forget that Copp has speed to burn as well - could have someone that can actually keep up to Ehlers...

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We don’t need Copp to score a ton of goals on our second line - Ehlers and PLD should be able to do that... but his play driving style really complements those two - more than statsny imo

people forget that Copp has speed to burn as well - could have someone that can actually keep up to Ehlers...
stastny kept up fine with both copp and ehlers last yer. that line was our best top 6 line in terms of out-shooting/chancing and out-scoring the opposition. think stastny is better at actually playing the 200ft C game (defensively, on the dot) than PLD.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Just a reminder that Copp had more goals and 10 more points than Stastny last season.
That was a career year for him, the rest of his career would suggest he fits better in the bottom six than in the top six. If he gets off to a hot start, sure, play him in the top six, but I think he's better suited playing an integral part of our shutdown line with Lowry than he is in the top six.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville

Maybe giving Cole Perfetti a shot as a winger on the second line with some actual offensively talented linemates would be an even better option. Who cares if he is young. He wouldn't be the first 19 year-old to crack an NHL lineup.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Who says anything about Copp's potential? He is what he is at this point. But he's an excellent player who does so many things well... he just doesn't have good finish. You have to sometimes back up and ask yourself why Copp is constantly getting into these positions where his line is generating so much; he has a pretty big effect on that IMO.
Copp is an excellent, valuable... third liner. He has great chemistry with Lowry and with the other talented guys we have, we don't need to try and make Copp a finisher on a scoring line.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
stastny kept up fine with both copp and ehlers last yer. that line was our best top 6 line in terms of out-shooting/chancing and out-scoring the opposition. think stastny is better at actually playing the 200ft C game (defensively, on the dot) than PLD.
I really like Statsny play at C but PLD is the future 1B C so that’s where he will stay

again giving a fourth line of perfetti-stas-Ves 10-12 mins a game would help their development a lot... but I know moe wants a rh C for the 4th

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Copp is an excellent, valuable... third liner. He has great chemistry with Lowry and with the other talented guys we have, we don't need to try and make Copp a finisher on a scoring line.

There would be two 30 goal scorers (potentially) on his line. He wouldn’t need to be a finisher.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I really like Statsny play at C but PLD is the future 1B C so that’s where he will stay

again giving a fourth line of perfetti-stas-Ves 10-12 mins a game would help their development a lot... but I know moe wants a rh C for the 4th
well pld needs to step up significantly then.

Reactions: Skidooboy

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud

I' say 4th liner shutdown PK expert.

for the Jets I'd like to see three good skilled scoring lines

I just don't see Copp in that...

Plus. He's most likely gone after this year so not sure why we should "invest" in him with top 6 mins

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
There would be two 30 goal scorers (potentially) on his line. He wouldn’t need to be a finisher.
Then the only reason I can think to put Copp on that line is that he's the defensive insurance. However, Scheifele's line doesn't have that kind of player.

...anyways, the only thing better than two 30-plus goal scorers on a scoring line is three 30-plus goal scorers.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Then the only reason I can think to put Copp on that line is that he's the defensive insurance. However, Scheifele's line doesn't have that kind of player.

...anyways, the only thing better than two 30-plus goal scorers on a scoring line is three 30-plus goal scorers.
we dont have another 30 goal scorer to spare lol

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
we dont have another 30 goal scorer to spare lol
His name is Cole and he could be Winnipeg's third Calder Cup winner.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Svech getting a tryout on that line for a pre-season game or two just to see if he and Dubois could catch lightening in a bottle again.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
His name is Cole and he could be Winnipeg's third Calder Cup winner.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Svech getting a tryout on that line for a pre-season game or two just to see if he and Dubois could catch lightening in a bottle again.
wanna wager on perfetti scoring 30 rookie year?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Lol... let's just say it's not out of the realm of possibility. I'd still like to give him an audition there for the first eight or nine games the season.
not sure what there is to lol about. you said he was scoring 30 this year soooo :dunno:

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
not sure what there is to lol about. you said he was scoring 30 this year soooo :dunno:
"Upwards" of 30, playing 82 games on the second line. I'd be happy with 20. Or who knows, maybe he'll be a set-up guy with 45 - 50 assists while Dubois and Ehlers have their best goal scoring seasons.

Bottom line...I think he's a better fit than Copp, unless he's a defensive liability. Maurice was very complimentary on his positional play last night. However, I also have little issue with having him mature at the AHL level for one more season (but I really think that he can make the Jets a better team if he finds a way to get a spot among the top six).

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
"Upwards" of 30, playing 82 games on the second line. I'd be happy with 20. Or who knows, maybe he'll be a set-up guy with 45 - 50 assists while Dubois and Ehlers have their best goal scoring seasons.

Bottom line...I think he's a better fit than Copp, unless he's a defensive liability. Maurice was very complimentary on his positional play last night. However, I also have little issue with having him mature at the AHL level for one more season (but I really think that he can make the Jets a better team if he finds a way to get a spot among the top six).

o ok so backtracking, got it. :thumbu:.

i highly doubt he's going to score more points than Ehlers or PLD best years to-date, as a rookie. that point total isn't far off KC's best year either. im high on the kid as well, but 20-30 goals/70 pts, that's very lofty expectations for a rookie. i mean if he doesn't hit that it'd be marked as underachieving.

copp-stastny-ehlers was a 56 CF%, 88 GF% and 63 xGF% line last year with copp scoring at a rate of 3.45 pts/60. best combo of a Jets top-6 line. if he can contribute superior to that, then maurice & co. starting him in the AHL should be hevily vilified.

DannyGallivan

Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
o ok so backtracking, got it. :thumbu:.

i highly doubt he's going to score more points than Ehlers or PLD best years to-date, as a rookie. that point total isn't far off KC's best year either. im high on the kid as well, but 20-30 goals/70 pts, that's very lofty expectations for a rookie. i mean if he doesn't hit that it'd be marked as underachieving.

copp-stastny-ehlers was a 56 CF%, 88 GF% and 63 xGF% line last year with copp scoring at a rate of 3.45 pts/60. best combo of a Jets top-6 line. if he can contribute superior to that, then maurice & co. starting him in the AHL should be hevily vilified.
Still warrants a tryout, at the very least to see what he can do even now (because like it or not injuries happen). I hate it when they put young offensive players on the bottom six. Put him where he is eventually intended on playing if you want to take a look. I also said that Svech also warrants a tryout there due to his history with Dubois.

When it comes to Copp, I see him as Lowry's right-hand man making things happen on the third line, or a guy who looks upward in frustration just as many times as he raises his stick in celebration on the second line.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I'd be happy with a 50 point rookie season by Cole. Lafrenier and Stutzle paced 31 and 45 points last season just for reference on what his draft peers did as a comparison.

yup anything in the 40-50 pt range would be a good rookie year. stutzle was averaging nearly 3 mins of pp toi too. i don't think perfetti will be on pp1 to get that, and likely wont be the main shooter with scheifele and kc still on the ice even if he is.

edit: think 40-50 pt range is viable if he's 2nd line and pp2, that's basically Nick Suzuki's rookie year. i think that's a feasible expectation.

Last edited:

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Still warrants a tryout, at the very least to see what he can do even now (because like it or not injuries happen). I hate it when they put young offensive players on the bottom six. Put him where he is eventually intended on playing if you want to take a look. I also said that Svech also warrants a tryout there due to his history with Dubois.

When it comes to Copp, I see him as Lowry's right-hand man making things happen on the third line, or a guy who looks upward in frustration just as many times as he raises his stick in celebration on the second line.

id rather maurice and co. keep the more efficient/productive combo or lines together in terms of out-shooting/chancing/scoring the opposition. and copp-stastny-ehlers was far and away that for us in the top-6. i expect PLD to be far better than he showed last year, and likely better than stastny, so no problem with him there either.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Disagree. Copp is nothing special.I’m tired of hearing about his potential.

For the ice time he get ts and the number of chances he gets, he should score more. But he doesn’t, because his shot is crap.

Perfetti generates high chance plays.
Copp wastes the chances.

of it was my team Copp on the 4th and PK.

Talking about what Copp has done in the past is not talking about his potential. "#5 among the Jets' forwards in goals/60 last season" is not potential.

No one says that Copp is "special". But he can bring better D and add some physicality to a top 6 line. Whether that makes him the best fit for that spot is debatable, but he is not playing there to be a big goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad