Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Meanwhile in Buffalo:
Berglund: 2 points in 11 games
Sobotka: 1 point in 9 games
Thompson: 1 point in 9 games

I realize the key pieces were the 1st round pick and Thompson's development as a middle 6 forward in a year or two. However, Buffalo isn't bad. They are 6-4-2 and have a ton of great pieces on that roster. The 3 players we gave them are not among them. Although maybe Sobotka and Berglund are helping on defense up there.

This just feels like a trade we will always love. We dumped Berglund and Sobotka's contracts(amazing) and didn't give up one of our more prized prospects(even more amazing). And ROR is an absolute fantastic hockey player.
Berglund has been doing great on our 4th line with Larsson and Girgensons.

Thompson and Sobotka are by far the worst forwards on our roster though.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
While I do think they are better, they havnt beaten a "good team" yet.

Theres no way I will regret Thompson+1st+2nd for what ROR brings. He would have to do a 180° for me to feel bad. Even with the Blues struggles....I'm happy. The 1st is protected so whatever

The only way the Blues ever lose the trade is an injury to O’Reilly. You’re not going to convince me that Thompson + whoever the Sabres draft with their not top 10 1st round pick will be equal to #90

Reactions: Dbrownss

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Berglund has been doing great on our 4th line with Larsson and Girgensons.

I'm surprised. Listening to NHL, some of the hosts think the world of him and how Stl screwed up and Overpaid for ROR.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I'm surprised. Listening to NHL, some of the hosts think the world of him and how Stl screwed up and Overpaid for ROR.
From what I've seen this season, he's a highlight reel player. Every once in a whole he'll make a play that wows you but most of the time he's really ineffective.

And I'm not surprised ROR is still severely underrated around the league.

Reactions: Blueston

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
From what I've seen this season, he's a highlight reel player. Every once in a whole he'll make a play that wows you but most of the time he's really ineffective.

And I'm not surprised ROR is still severely underrated around the league.
Yea, sounds exactly like the same player we had here. At his age, no big deal

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013

Thompson yeah. I think Thompson needs to get assigned to Rochester for development. He's got some great tools but the whole package isn't NHL quality yet.

Sobotka's been okay. Not fantastic but okay. He's better than Josefson was in a similar role last year by a country mile. He's there to provide a decent roster presence for a couple years until prospects are ready to take his spot. I've actually been happy with both Berglund and Sobotka. They're not core pieces or anything like that, but they're good placeholders until something better comes up from Rochester, and their play allows Housley to shelter Mittelstadt to help him develop, and he's already come a long way this year. So from that viewpoint, Vlad and Bergie are doing exactly what JBot wanted out of them.

As for ROR, he's playing the same role he played for the Sabres: The best player on a crappy team. He means well, but even when he's playing well personally, he seems like he's a downer to those around him. You can have him. If you think the Blues won the trade because they got ROR, good for you, but he wasn't doing what the Sabres needed him to do, and it looks like he's not doing it in St Louis either. He's a stat machine but doesn't elevate those around him.

Reactions: jura

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Thompson yeah. I think Thompson needs to get assigned to Rochester for development. He's got some great tools but the whole package isn't NHL quality yet.

Sobotka's been okay. Not fantastic but okay. He's better than Josefson was in a similar role last year by a country mile. He's there to provide a decent roster presence for a couple years until prospects are ready to take his spot. I've actually been happy with both Berglund and Sobotka. They're not core pieces or anything like that, but they're good placeholders until something better comes up from Rochester, and their play allows Housley to shelter Mittelstadt to help him develop, and he's already come a long way this year. So from that viewpoint, Vlad and Bergie are doing exactly what JBot wanted out of them.

As for ROR, he's playing the same role he played for the Sabres: The best player on a crappy team. He means well, but even when he's playing well personally, he seems like he's a downer to those around him. You can have him. If you think the Blues won the trade because they got ROR, good for you, but he wasn't doing what the Sabres needed him to do, and it looks like he's not doing it in St Louis either. He's a stat machine but doesn't elevate those around him.
The Blues woes have nothing to do with ROR but thanks for repeating the same sentiment that every other Sabres fan has drilled down our throat.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
He's a stat machine but doesn't elevate those around him.
So basically a perfect fit for an organization that has Perron, Steen and Tarasenko on the same payroll. Maybe Armstrong does have a plan after all, he's trying to build an all talent no chemistry team that can get swept in the Finals like the Rangers did against the Kings.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

Ah yes, another Sabres fan that thinks he knows ROR personally. Why do you guys continually act like you know the vibe he gives off to other people around him? Even though guys like Eichel have already went public to prove you wrong and basically said they pranked the dumb Buffalo media and fans. But go ahead and keep clinging to that fantasy you have.

So yeah, you can have the spare pieces. We'll take the best player in the deal by far. I mean, it's not often you get a player who is far superior than the players you gave up at literally everything... passing, shooting, faceoffs, defensive play, hustle, etc. O'Reilly is better than the other guys at it all.

So basically a perfect fit for an organization that has Perron, Steen and Tarasenko on the same payroll. Maybe Armstrong does have a plan after all, he's trying to build an all talent no chemistry team that can get swept in the Finals like the Rangers did against the Kings.
So you're saying we could go somewhere.

Nice. Could be worse, we could be like Detroit.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
So you're saying we could go somewhere.

Nice. Could be worse, we could be like Detroit.

A new coach and couple trades and the Blues could totally make waves. As their roster sits...eh...as bad as Detroit's season has been so far, the lower half of the Eastern Conference is very weak this year, so in spite of perceptions its way more likely for the Wings to slip into a 2nd wild card spot than the Blues this year. I could see STL putting it together and playing better hockey, but points have to come from somewhere and even though I think they can (and likely will) climb ahead of Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona and even Vegas, that still leaves them out - even if Vancouver or Edmonton implodes (likely one of them will) - Blues fans need to get out their voodoo hexes and pray for Dubnyk to not be Dubnyk anymore in addition to a volcano taking out some Western Canadian teams just to limp in as a WC and get knocked out by Nash/Win in 4-5 games.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
A new coach and couple trades and the Blues could totally make waves. As their roster sits...eh...as bad as Detroit's season has been so far, the lower half of the Eastern Conference is very weak this year, so in spite of perceptions its way more likely for the Wings to slip into a 2nd wild card spot than the Blues this year. I could see STL putting it together and playing better hockey, but points have to come from somewhere and even though I think they can (and likely will) climb ahead of Chicago, Anaheim, Arizona and even Vegas, that still leaves them out - even if Vancouver or Edmonton implodes (likely one of them will) - Blues fans need to get out their voodoo hexes and pray for Dubnyk to not be Dubnyk anymore in addition to a volcano taking out some Western Canadian teams just to limp in as a WC and get knocked out by Nash/Win in 4-5 games.
Ha ha ha! I love the way you keep the Red Wing jabs in stride. I appreciate your insight. I'm glad to have you hanging around. ;)

Reactions: CykaBlyat

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Ha ha ha! I love the way you keep the Red Wing jabs in stride. I appreciate your insight. I'm glad to have you hanging around. ;)
Glad to be here. Honestly the Red Wings board is pretty dead. Once they started playing well all the whiny threads stopped and there's no real content/discussion anymore. As a former ST. Louis Blues season ticket holder of several seasons I feel I actually have more insight/relevance here than any of the other boards.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Is there a school of mental gymnastics in Buffalo?

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
People tend to forget that Stillman paid a lot of money to get O'Reilly here. That seemed to be the biggest factor for the trade on buffalo' s end, and we don't know that Buffalo doesn't keep him if a trade isn't made and they have to eat that bonus. We traded a lot of guys and picks, and I'd agree on paper that we seem to have the edge in the performance part. But, without knowing the cap issues or plan for a rebuild, it's hard to say that Buffalo got taken. 7.5 million is a lot of money for an organization that doesn't fill seats, hell, it is for any organization. My only worry is that another missed off-season drops us into a position where we won't spend to the cap anymore.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
People tend to forget that Stillman paid a lot of money to get O'Reilly here. That seemed to be the biggest factor for the trade on buffalo' s end, and we don't know that Buffalo doesn't keep him if a trade isn't made and they have to eat that bonus. We traded a lot of guys and picks, and I'd agree on paper that we seem to have the edge in the performance part. But, without knowing the cap issues or plan for a rebuild, it's hard to say that Buffalo got taken. 7.5 million is a lot of money for an organization that doesn't fill seats, hell, it is for any organization. My only worry is that another missed off-season drops us into a position where we won't spend to the cap anymore.
I dont think it matters if its 1 check or 8 checks. I do agree that this season might cause them to stop spending to the cap. There arent any high profile FAs and the Blues arent successful with a cap team. Let the Vets walk, dont f***ing extend Maroon, and explore a trade with Steen.

Reactions: Bendak

blueper

Mar 29, 2012
ROR is the clear cut best player on the team. 7.5M is extremely reasonable for a 27 year old top 6 center who kills penalties, plays on the PP, hounds the puck, is a great faceoff guy, is one of the most responsible defensive centers in the league and doesn't miss any games. Replace him with Bergy, Sobotka, Thompson and their contracts and then try to stomach this team.

Ps: ROR is pacing for 100+ points without falling into negative territory yet on a team that is currently terrible 5 on 5.

Last edited:

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
The Blues woes have nothing to do with ROR but thanks for repeating the same sentiment that every other Sabres fan has drilled down our throat.

Yeah, we said that for three years. But here we are.

tenor.gif

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
So yeah, you can have the spare pieces. We'll take the best player in the deal by far.

Actually, that's exactly what the Sabres needed out of the deal. They took one roster spot with a very high talent level and exchanged it for talent spread over two and a half (Thompson still needs some polishing) spots and a draft pick. Part of the Sabres' problem last year was the bottom 6 needed more decent, not great, players. Sobotka and Berglund are filling that to a T. Berglund in particular is centering what is turning out to be a very creditable shut-down line that's starting to chip in some secondary scoring. The Sabres haven't had that in 10 years. And he's elevating the play of his linemates from players that shouldn't be in the NHL to functional assets.

If you're happy with ROR then more power to ya. It just means both teams won the trade (and that happens sometimes).

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
its way more likely for the Wings to slip into a 2nd wild card spot

Now that made me lol. Nothing but bad times for the Wings for the next 3-5 years. Embrace the tank, it makes it more bearable. Lose for Hughes!

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Actually, that's exactly what the Sabres needed out of the deal. They took one roster spot with a very high talent level and exchanged it for talent spread over two and a half (Thompson still needs some polishing) spots and a draft pick. Part of the Sabres' problem last year was the bottom 6 needed more decent, not great, players. Sobotka and Berglund are filling that to a T. Berglund in particular is centering what is turning out to be a very creditable shut-down line that's starting to chip in some secondary scoring. The Sabres haven't had that in 10 years. And he's elevating the play of his linemates from players that shouldn't be in the NHL to functional assets.

If you're happy with ROR then more power to ya. It just means both teams won the trade (and that happens sometimes).

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks" - Queen Gertrude, Hamlet by William Shakespeare

You know someone is full of shit when they say Berglund is elevating his linemates. Berglund has a lot of good, even wonderful qualities. Some are even on the ice. But none of them are elevating the players he plays with.

Doohickie

Ft Worth (from Bflo)
Feb 16, 2013
People tend to forget that Stillman paid a lot of money to get O'Reilly here.

You mention the bonus, but the salary hit for five seasons I think is the real reason the Sabres wanted to move ROR. The Sabres put a lot of hard miles on the guy; the latter half of those years are likely to see a drop-off. The Blues see ditching Sobotka and Berglund as a cap dump, but those two together cost less than ROR and drop off the books more quickly, and at a time when the Sabres will be needing to re-sign some of their young talent. Is ROR's cap hit worth it? Maybe now, but the Sabres will be happy to have him off the books a few years down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad