Rooting For the Tank Part 2019

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The real problem will be how to contend with Tampa moving forward. What's the long term solution to that team? They should be head and shoulders better than anyone in the east for the next ~3 years.
Let's start by winning consecutive games.

:biglaugh:
We are so many steps away from worrying about how to contend with Tampa.
The Sabres need to demonstrate consistent competence for a couple of years before worrying about anyone else.
Yeah, overtaking Tampa is like returning the Apollo lunar module to the command module.

Meanwhile, the Buffalo Sabres are still rubbing sticks together to make fire...

Reactions: PirateShip

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Weren’t we the lonely tank buddies last year? Soldiering on as shamed tankers and then the ”we need to be better” crew took all the cred for Dahlin...
I've been heavily pro-tank since 2015. Was really hoping not to have to take that tack again this year, but here we are.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
The real problem will be how to contend with Tampa moving forward. What's the long term solution to that team? They should be head and shoulders better than anyone in the east for the next ~3 years.

To me this is like not hiring Boudreau because he supposedly can't win a Game 7. Whenever we don't suck, the current Tampa will be something different anyway. Always be improving, the target you're theoretically chasing is always moving/changing anyways.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
You claimed the "real problem was how to contend with Tampa."

That is NOT the "real problem."

The real problems for this team are poor organizational leadership, poor asset management, and poor player development. This organization needs to concentrate on improving those facets before worrying about how to contend with teams that have already figured all that out.

Horse before the cart and what not.

Well for example, if they can't beat Tampa for 4 years, and they don't think he'll resign, they should probably trade Eichel right?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
To me this is like not hiring Boudreau because he supposedly can't win a Game 7. Whenever we don't suck, the current Tampa will be something different anyway. Always be improving, the target you're theoretically chasing is always moving/changing anyways.

The Boudreau thing isn't a real issue. But the target to chase should effect your asset management.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
Hello darkness my old friend

Might as well tank out the season, if only to make Housley look worse

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The Boudreau thing isn't a real issue. But the target to chase should effect your asset management.
Not really. Tampa looks unbeatable this year, but 1) that won't necessarily be the case next year or the year after, 2) just because Tampa looks unbeatable doesn't mean they are. The "better" team doesn't always win a best of seven playoff series. 3) there's still value in being a playoff team. It's not like the only choices are win the cup or tank.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I don't have to root for them to tank, the past few years I root for them to win and this team has taken care of the rest... Why change it up at this point?

Reactions: brian_griffin

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I feel like "tanking" really gets thrown around a lot and is often misused.

I realize I'm trying to define a nebulous sports term, but to me it means when a team trades away veteran players for picks/prospects with the intention of losing a lot of games in order to get the best possible draft pick (and build for the future).

As we're already past the trade deadline, it is too late for the Sabres to "tank", and it was clearly never our intent this year to lose games for draft position.

I guess that "Rooting for losing as many games as possible in order to increase our lottery percentages" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

Reactions: sabremike

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Not really. Tampa looks unbeatable this year, but 1) that won't necessarily be the case next year or the year after, 2) just because Tampa looks unbeatable doesn't mean they are. The "better" team doesn't always win a best of seven playoff series. 3) there's still value in being a playoff team. It's not like the only choices are win the cup or tank.

3). That's a reasonable question to ask. Does Buffalo want a feast or famine team, or do they want consistently competitive.

If you're a writer for the Buffalo News you want whichever of those two strategies they're not currently pursuing. I'm not convinced which of the two I prefer. Although at the moment I think I'm leaning towards: build a team for the best chance to win the cup in two consecutive seasons. Take your shot then bow out.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
I feel like "tanking" really gets thrown around a lot and is often misused.

I realize I'm trying to define a nebulous sports term, but to me it means when a team trades away veteran players for picks/prospects with the intention of losing a lot of games in order to get the best possible draft pick (and build for the future).

As we're already past the trade deadline, it is too late for the Sabres to "tank", and it was clearly never our intent this year to lose games for draft position.

I guess that "Rooting for losing as many games as possible in order to increase our lottery percentages" just doesn't have the same ring to it.
Are you sure about that? Trading a bonafide 2C for crap and a pick that will go to the Ducks if current trends hold, looks an awful lot like tanking according to your definition.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Are you sure about that? Trading a bonafide 2C for crap and a pick that will go to the Ducks if current trends hold, looks an awful lot like tanking according to your definition.

That's a fair point. I didn't really consider the RoR trade as it happened in the offseason.

To counterbalance that, we did trade a handful of low value draft picks to acquire Skinner on a 1 year contract. And we were buyers at the trade deadline (Montour). If we were tanking, why make those 2 acquisitions?

kp2575

Ray's Pocket Square
Feb 11, 2015
PDX
If they win less than a handful of games rest of the way which leads to Housley getting shown the door I'm all for it. The better draft position is a bonus.

Reactions: MayDayMayDay

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
That's a fair point. I didn't really consider the RoR trade as it happened in the offseason.

To counterbalance that, we did trade a handful of low value draft picks to acquire Skinner on a 1 year contract. And we were buyers at the trade deadline (Montour). If we were tanking, why make those 2 acquisitions?
That is the conundrum for me. There is little rhyme or reason to Bobblehead's moves and the timing is equally head-scratching.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
This thread is the digital equivalent to building a house on an abandoned Indian burial ground. Count me out.

Reactions: Rasmi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad