GDT: Rookie Tournament - Sunday, September 13, 2015

mikebel111*

He most definitely did.....he should have gotten a major but it was not caught. Stop looking for things to make Finn look good, he needs to do that on his own!

what the heck did I ever do?

I even admitted I missed it, and yeah he did something bad and I am sure he wishes he didn't do that

and No I don't do things. I expect him to bounce back or he will likely be a lost draft pick.

How about we put stuff to rest?

PS: Your one of my favorite posters on here, with the exception of a couple topics, I agree with your stance on stuff.

Seriously this board sometimes:(

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
guess they really want Peressini to do well

Peressini is a better goalie then he showed in that game....if you look at Kingston last year his stats are so vastly superior to his back up....which is a strong indicator that he is a good goalie.

The Leafs watched a lot of Kingston's games and must have seen enough to offer him a tryout. Lets see what this kid does at main camp. First game as a pro is hard on the nerves.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
what the heck did I ever do?

I even admitted I missed it, and yeah he did something bad and I am sure he wishes he didn't do that

and No I don't do things. I expect him to bounce back or he will likely be a lost draft pick.

How about we put stuff to rest?

PS: Your one of my favorite posters on here, with the exception of a couple topics, I agree with your stance on stuff.

Seriously this board sometimes:(

Sorry I read threads from the point that I last checked in and respond to posts, so I never saw you admit that you missed it. So sorry not attempting to pile on.

You just need to stop pushing Finn, at present he is struggling and not looking like a NHL D man currently. Watch him with eyes wide open and you will see the same things others are seeing.

Do not take thinks personally as well.....this is just a hockey opinion board and far to many people take this and themselves far to serious. :)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Sorry I read threads from the point that I last checked in and respond to posts, so I never saw you admit that you missed it. So sorry not attempting to pile on.

You just need to stop pushing Finn, at present he is struggling and not looking like a NHL D man currently. Watch him with eyes wide open and you will see the same things others are seeing.

Do not take thinks personally as well.....this is just a hockey opinion board and far to many people take this and themselves far to serious. :)

I don't think anyone expects that...but at the same time...progress would be nice...I don't know if I see a different Finn from last year to this year which is kind of a concern....but not really, it's a rookie tournament and early :)

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Maybe he was just using the stick to help make an adjustment.

:biglaugh:

honestly it will be interesting to see how Finn does this year. Dubas has mentioned that he had a tough go last year (so he has that benefit of the doubt) but he's going to be expected to be/do better.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I thought that was an absolutely idiotic play actually. What do you think you're going to accomplish with a retaliatory nut-spearing in the final minutes? guaranteed the leafs brass saw that. for a player who really needs a bounce back season i thought that was his worst offence all tourney long.

If he didn't retaliate, it says something that the guys at Hot Stove thought that this was the best thing he did all game.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Whats the opinion on Gauthier on the weekend?
Looked like he was skating better, but I always find wanting more from Gauthier than what he shows. Even if he added a little more aggression to his game I think he would be far more effective.

mrJT

Mar 4, 2013
Toronto
I loved the look of Nylander KK and Marner

They all showed flashes of brilliance throughout the tourny.

Kapanen looks to have elite speed and stickhandling..needs to work on his physical play, seems to shy away from contact at times. Also needs to be more greedy in my opinion.

Marner has top end skill, his patience is what stood out to me the most. He has the ability to hold onto the puck and commit defenders then find the open man, great edges can turn on a dime.

Nylander should make the roster forsure. He looked dangerous almost everytime he had the puck. He was even taking the body on his checks which is great to see.

I noticed a few other kids who looked like they could make the jump in a cpl seasons. Future looks better than it has in ages.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
He was seriously over rated on here after his draft with many saying he was a top pair D man in the future. He will be in tough to be a Marlie this season. He struggled with the speed of the game as well as with decisions, he looked fine when he had the puck and made so good plays, but over all he has not been better then many of the less experience D man. He has poor lateral movement and truthfully does not think the game all that well, which was something most on here said was a strength.

He's definitely heading the way of Blacker, McKegg, Ross, etc.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Whats the opinion on Gauthier on the weekend?
Looked like he was skating better, but I always find wanting more from Gauthier than what he shows. Even if he added a little more aggression to his game I think he would be far more effective.

Skating has improved. His hands are still not where we want them, which is what he needs to improve the most from here on out.

I liked his work on the PP. He screened well, was impossible to move and tracked the puck well, getting a ton of chances by being first to the puck and getting a wack in.

babblemoth

my heart and I agree
Mar 7, 2010
ON
Based on the rookie tournament, I think most would say it is not outrageous but highly likely the Pens would have preferred to keep Sprong. He showed well as a top 6 talent, and is a year younger. Regardless of this. If Kapanen can simplify his game, just play 2 way agitating wing. I think he can be a good #3 winger for us one day.

I liked Sprong a fair bit, but your previous comment that he is perhaps more prepared than Kapanen is a bit off in my opinion.

Sprong definitely looks good, but he has a lot of strength and foot speed to gain. I personally thought he was one of the slowest players out there in the four games I saw, and I don't think it was just me. That said, very smart player and looked great when he could settle the puck, or had the room available.

Give Kapanen a little bit of time to adjust to the North American ice as well. If you see his highlights from the Finnish league he definitely has been able to use his skill set there to make an impact, and he possess a skill set that's very adaptable/ in-line with the North American game.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
He's definitely heading the way of Blacker, McKegg, Ross, etc.

Same way as the majority of leaf scout's. There is no doubt that a housecleaning in the scouting department was badly needed

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
nylander looking like the hottest leaf prospect

Do be honest I would have been disappointed if he didn't. Last year if you got to see him with the Marlies you had to be amazed at what he was doing at such a young age against men. Yes, I know we have a new toy in Marner, but Nylander has been playing against men for a while while Marner has not.

jjjshab

Jul 7, 2015
Peressini is a better goalie then he showed in that game....if you look at Kingston last year his stats are so vastly superior to his back up....which is a strong indicator that he is a good goalie.

The Leafs watched a lot of Kingston's games and must have seen enough to offer him a tryout. Lets see what this kid does at main camp. First game as a pro is hard on the nerves.

Yes, he put up decent numbers on a poor defensive team, but if management wanted to give him another look, why invite Sparks to the tournament at all? Couldn't they have just played Peressini on Sunday night?

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Off topic slightly, but who's been the most impressive prospect at these rookie tournaments? Not sure exact length of time these have been running, but Nylander's performance on the weekend has to be up there.

Remember Kadri dominating at tournament in Kitchener after his draft year.
Jesse Blacker also looked really good in that tournament.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I liked Sprong a fair bit, but your previous comment that he is perhaps more prepared than Kapanen is a bit off in my opinion.

Sprong definitely looks good, but he has a lot of strength and foot speed to gain. I personally thought he was one of the slowest players out there in the four games I saw, and I don't think it was just me. That said, very smart player and looked great when he could settle the puck, or had the room available.

Give Kapanen a little bit of time to adjust to the North American ice as well. If you see his highlights from the Finnish league he definitely has been able to use his skill set there to make an impact, and he possess a skill set that's very adaptable/ in-line with the North American game.

Yeah Sprong needs some serious work on skating, defense and distribution in my opinion before he is ready. He finds opportunities and can use them, but being NHL-ready is about more than having useful qualities.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Even though Marner impressed me with his play I can't help but wonder how Hanifin would have done in this tournament. Would he have clearly outplayed Dermott and Valiev?

I still support the Marner pick but one can't help but wonder.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Even though Marner impressed me with his play I can't help but wonder how Hanifin would have done in this tournament. Would he have clearly outplayed Dermott and Valiev?

I would expect Hanifin to outplay them, yes. He is a superb talent.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

How they do in this format isn't important, it's how they develop going forward.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
As good as Marner is and probably will be, a lot of Leaf fans were suggesting before this tournament that Marner was probably already better than Nylander is right now. I think this tournament showed that regardless of how much better Marner could be than Nylander down the road, at this moment Nylander is definitely more polished and the greater developed player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad