GDT: Rookie Tournament - Sunday, September 13, 2015

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I guess we need to see the competition before we get too excited?

If teams send a bunch of scrubs and AHL fodder to the tournament it might prove to be nothing more than a bunch of youngsters playing against a bunch of fillers, try-outs and overagers.

Would be good to see teams send their best similarly aged players, however some teams may already have their best/better kids with the big team.

The Senators’ 2015 rookie tournament roster:

Goaltenders: Chris Driedger (Evansville - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Matt O’Connor (Boston University – H-East).

Defencemen: Chris Carlisle (Oshawa - OHL), Thomas Chabot (Saint John - QMJHL), Marcus Crawford (Saginaw - OHL), Ben Harpur (Guelph - OHL, Barrie - OHL), Chris Rumble (Canisius College - AHA, Evansville - ECHL), Troy Rutkowski (Evansville - ECHL, Binghamton - AHL), Mikael Wikstrand (Frölunda - SHL).

Forwards: Filip Chlapik (Charlottetown - QMJHL), Vincent Dunn (Rimouski - QMJHL), Ryan Dzingel (Binghamton - AHL), Travis Ewanyk (Oklahoma City - AHL), Gabriel Gagne (Victoriaville - QMJHL), Alex Guptill (Binghamton - AHL), Tobias Lindberg (Oshawa - OHL), Max McCormick (Binghamton - AHL), Nick Paul (North Bay - OHL), Ryan Penny (Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL), Francis Perron (Rouyn-Noranda - QMJHL), Matt Puempel (Binghamton - AHL, Ottawa - NHL), Buddy Robinson (Binghamton - AHL), Alex Wideman (Miami University/Ohio - NCHC, Binghamton - AHL), Matthew Zay (Mercyhurst College - AHA, Springfield - AHL, Binghamton - AHL

Pittsburgh's roster line-up

2015-16-Rookie-Tournament-Rosterv2.jpg

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
http://www.pittsburghsportingnews.com/penguins-announce-rookie-tournament-roster/25932

The Penguins will bring 16 forwards, 8 defensemen and two goaltenders to Ontario. 14 of the 26 players are already under NHL contract, three are on AHL contracts, two are unsigned draft choices and the rest are on try-outs.

The team will be led by defenseman Derrick Pouliot, who figures to spend most of his 2015-16 playing for the Penguins. They’ll also have experience in goal with 2014-15 AHL Goaltender of the Year Matt Murray between the pipes.

Four forwards — right-winger Josh Archibald (upper-body), right-winger Tyler Biggs (Achilles) center Oskar Sundqvist (hamstring) and left-winger Scott Wilson (wrist) — are all on the roster despite not having participated in the on-ice portion of last month’s prospect development camp due to injuries, and may see their first action of the off-season.

Sundqvist and Wilson will be competing with fellow rookie tournament team member Bryan Rust for one of the final spots on the squad in training camp.

The team’s 2015 draft class is represented, as well, with second-round pick and Penguins top prospect Daniel Sprong and fifth-rounder Dominik Simon both expected to play a large part in the squad’s offense.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
Big boys are playing tonight

Why in the heck are they playing all three together? of course I got tickets to the one game they didn't play!

However, the boys put on a pretty good game except for a good chunk of the third.

My other post may have gotten lost in the other thread.

Any info on #88 Cameron Lizotte - Great physical player out there last night and some defensive capabilities to boot!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not understanding the wildly different Finn reviews from good to terrible. Which is it? It's a rookie tournament but he has a pro season under his belt so he shouldn't be treading water here.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
Right after they drop the puck for the opening faceoff . :D

7:35 p.m. Game #6 Toronto (white) vs. Pittsburgh (black)

Mess the wise guy. :laugh:

Interested to see how Marner plays the most.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Not understanding the wildly different Finn reviews from good to terrible. Which is it? It's a rookie tournament but he has a pro season under his belt so he shouldn't be treading water here.

He's been underwhelming to me. Slow footed/mobility and questionable decision making with the puck. Would say maybe he's a bit rusty coming off a long summer break, but I had the same impression of him last season as well.
Hopefully he has a big turnaround year though

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Mess the wise guy. :laugh:

Interested to see how Marner plays the most.

I was just teasing him. :)

Marner really struggled in game #1 and was directly responsible for 3 ES goals against with lost face-off and blown defensive coverage.

He said he was nervous. So I'm expecting him to come out today and put on a show in his home arena and in front of his London fans and family.

I'm expecting a big game from Mitch today.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Marner really struggled in game #1 and was directly responsible for 3 ES goals against with lost face-off and blown defensive coverage.

He said he was nervous. So I'm expecting him to come out today and put on a show in his home arena and in front of his London fans and family.

I didn't't see the game. Was Marner really THAT bad?

mikebel111*

He's been underwhelming to me. Slow footed/mobility and questionable decision making with the puck. Would say maybe he's a bit rusty coming off a long summer break, but I had the same impression of him last season as well.
Hopefully he has a big turnaround year though

I would say decent, with some good and a sprinkle of bad
I think he is motivated to have a good year though

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008

To alot of people if he's not an all-star game changer he's a flop!

He was not overly impressive last night as he was one of the few players I was watching. He had a few good moments but a few bad ones. This is not a tournament to hinge a players upcoming season on. They're coming off a long break and are just gearing up

mikebel111*

To alot of people if he's not an all-star game changer he's a flop!

He was not overly impressive last night as he was one of the few players I was watching. He had a few good moments but a few bad ones. This is not a tournament to hinge a players upcoming season on. They're coming off a long break and are just gearing up

Exactly. I think he has been decent with flashes of good and couple bad things.
Also its not like many others have been great aside from Nylander and Dermott
Most others have been just okay

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I didn't see the game. Was Marner really THAT bad?

Lets just chalk it up to nerves. You could check out the game in 6 minutes youtube clip in other thread for a highlight package.

I'm curious if he will be at center again or if Sheldon will play him on the wing tonight. Keefe on Leafs lunch hinted he would start him in the middle and then consider moving him to the boards later on.

I'd like to see Leafs load up a line and have Kappy -- Willie and Mitch as the teams #1 line today.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Well, in Finn's case, he kind of does need to show more since he's older and was so underwhelming last year. He just keeps stagnating/sliding down the depth chart, which isn't encouraging.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad