GDT: Rookie Tournament - Sunday, September 13, 2015

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
Here's my evaluation from the Rookie Tournament. Every player there would benefit from returning to their AHL/ECHL/CHL team. Including Nylander.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Here's my evaluation from the Rookie Tournament. Every player there would benefit from returning to their AHL/ECHL/CHL team. Including Nylander.

Nylander dominated that tournament and I guarantee he gets better with guys that know where to play.

He is one of a very select few that could possibly make the team as a player under 21 years old though.

Otherwise, I agree that development is key and there are placeholders in spot on a year to year basis until they're ready.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Surprised Korostolev isn't at the main camp. He impressed me.

I think it's tough to include guys like Korostolev with the amount of PTO players and players on the bubble trying to win actual roster spots.

Korostolev is going back to junior, 100%. The problem is, you don't know what to do with Joly yet (I would sign him) and others that you could straight up release at the end of the training camp.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
I think it's tough to include guys like Korostolev with the amount of PTO players and players on the bubble trying to win actual roster spots.

Korostolev is going back to junior, 100%. The problem is, you don't know what to do with Joly yet (I would sign him) and others that you could straight up release at the end of the training camp.

I'd sign Joly too. I like what I saw from his this camp.

mikebel111*

Here is what Maple Leafs hot stove said about Finn in game 1

Matt Finn: invisible for most of the game, but then made a key play later on that displayed a lot of maturity. He was cross-checked in the face at the Senators bench by Gabriel Gagne and did not even flinch in a retaliatory way. Gagne was taken off and the Leafs scored on the ensuing power play. It was 3-3 at the time, with three minutes left. Encouraging to see that kind of decision making under pressure

So invisible, a good thing for a d man like Finn. Didn't hurt his team on offense or defence. Smart of him to not react, showing his high IQ and smarts

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here is what Maple Leafs hot stove said about Finn in game 1

Matt Finn: invisible for most of the game, but then made a key play later on that displayed a lot of maturity. He was cross-checked in the face at the Senators bench by Gabriel Gagne and did not even flinch in a retaliatory way. Gagne was taken off and the Leafs scored on the ensuing power play. It was 3-3 at the time, with three minutes left. Encouraging to see that kind of decision making under pressure

So invisible, a good thing for a d man like Finn. Didn't hurt his team on offense or defence. Smart of him to not react, showing his high IQ and smarts

He speared the guy in the nuts after crosschecked, he just didn't get caught.

bansheebeat

Cherry-Coloured Funk
Jul 31, 2011
Also saw this as well.

I thought that was an absolutely idiotic play actually. What do you think you're going to accomplish with a retaliatory nut-spearing in the final minutes? guaranteed the leafs brass saw that. for a player who really needs a bounce back season i thought that was his worst offence all tourney long.

Hunters Rule

Feb 6, 2015
Valiev was drafted as a 19 year old for those that do not know. He is 20 already and should be with the Marlies this season.

He was very noticeable last night, I would say overall he was OK. He will have time to refine his game with the Marlies this year.

Well tonight he was much better than Pouliot and is a year younger I believe.

mikebel111*

I thought that was an absolutely idiotic play actually. What do you think you're going to accomplish with a retaliatory nut-spearing in the final minutes? guaranteed the leafs brass saw that. for a player who really needs a bounce back season i thought that was his worst offence all tourney long.

This doesn't have anything to do with expecting a bounceback. He got cross checked pretty hard so yeah he probably got upset with that. I am pretty sure Finn thinks he shouldn't have

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad