GDT: Rookie Tournament - Sunday, September 13, 2015

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
As good as Marner is and probably will be, a lot of Leaf fans were suggesting before this tournament that Marner was probably already better than Nylander is right now. I think this tournament showed that regardless of how much better Marner could be than Nylander down the road, at this moment Nylander is definitely more polished and the greater developed player.

Marner looks like he is physically immature at this point. He is VERY talented. He had 2 points, and he had some close passes in the tournament. That being said he needs to get bigger and more experienced. Nylander played all last year against men in the SHL and AHL...and dominated his age group last year at the WJC.

Marner will be fine, he just needs time. You will notice a big difference in his development over the next few years.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's worth keeping in mind that Marner and Nylander have different motivations coming into camp.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nylander seemed highly motivated to show management that he is ready to knock on the NHL door. He was really the only one that kept that dream alive for this season.

Dermott looked good making a first impression and stood out among the dmen. Be interesting to see how he looks at the main camp and if he gets into an exhibition game.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
My (delayed) thoughts on the tournament:

You could really note the differences in age and experiences between the players. A player going into his second or third year of pro was in a far better position to make an impact on this tournament than a player coming from junior.

I'm not sure I liked what I saw from our defense core. Dermott was fantastic, especially for a first-year guy, as was Valiev. Minus the nut-spearing incident, Finn did alright too. Something for him to build upon. The rest of the crew seemed to struggle.

Forwards... Marner could have shown more. It by no means takes anything away from him as a player or prospect. We saw glimpses of his talent and he played in all situations. Nylander did what was expected of him and that last goal against Pittsburgh was a thing of beauty. Thought Soshnikov started slow but as he got more accustomed, got better and better. Skladchenko didn't seem to make much of an impact, but what a shot the guy has. Liked Dzierkals jam too. He came as advertised.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
Are the Leafs now responsible for his medical care whilst hes recuperating?

He played well for us in the tournament. I'd like to see us offer him a contract.

I would assume that the Leafs would cover whatever was done at the tournament. I know that they did that with Henrik Tallinder when he came to camp last year and got injured.

I'm sure he'll be on the radar after the season, but at the moment they just don't have the spots to put him.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Even though Marner impressed me with his play I can't help but wonder how Hanifin would have done in this tournament. Would he have clearly outplayed Dermott and Valiev?

I still support the Marner pick but one can't help but wonder.

I bet Hanifin would've been invisible in this tournament had we drafted him...

Because NCAA players almost always don't play in the rookie tournament.

In actuality he would have probably looked more NHL ready, but Marner has higher upside IMO. Marner has Giroux-like upside whereas Hanifin more likely has Hjalmarsson/Seabrook or slightly higher upside (not style, but a 1B defenseman IMO). I'll take a possible franchise C over a possible average #1 or 1B defender.

As for Marner, he started to look better as the game went on Friday and once he started to get targeted (cross check from Pouliot and chirping from other players) he started to get a bit engaged, dangled a few players, and made some real sick offensive plays. There was a reason he was the #1 or #2 star (can't remember which).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad