News Article: Rookie Tournament Roster and Discussion

God Flower

Somebody hold me
Dec 19, 2008
Ottawa
Definitely. That McCormick kid has hockey IQ/instincts/smarts/whatever you want to call it, that you just can't teach. Him and that #71 kid make for a great pair on the forward lines. Both see the game so well and have amazing chemistry.

And the best part is, he is unbelievably annoying to play against; a true pest. I fell in love with him during his first development camp after he elbowed Zibanejad in the chops during a drill. Zibby had to leave the ice lol. And after tracking his development for a bit, I've had him penciled in on our bottom 6 moving forward.

These are exciting times! We've boasted about our amazing scouting abilities for a while now and we finally get to see If there is any truth to that. Zibanejad and Stone are poised to make an impact with the big club, with Pageau, Dzingel, Puempel, and others raising eyebrows in Bingo. I can't wait to see how the 2014/2015 season unfolds!

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I've been pimping McCormick for a while. The guy was playing in the shadow of Dzingel last year. Hopefully he improves much more during the course of his stay in the A. I unno if his style of play will translate well into the NHL though, he'll have to keep battling hard and hone his offensive game.

Him and Dzingel should create good pairing for Bingo fans' enjoyment.

Savitar

AKA Jose
Jan 15, 2013
Harpur is on the cusp of something amazing, I've known Harpur ever since he broke into the OHL in 2011 and in the 4 years I've watched him I've never seen him skate so well and look so comfortable on the ice. This is a good sign and it shows he had a spectacular offseason. He could captain Guelph this year look out!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Harpur is on the cusp of something amazing, I've known Harpur ever since he broke into the OHL in 2011 and in the 4 years I've watched him I've never seen him skate so well and look so comfortable on the ice. This is a good sign and it shows he had a spectacular offseason. He could captain Guelph this year look out!

Sometimes it take those big kids a little longer to find their game. If he can become a solid, stay-at-home shutdown guy and physical beast on the blueline with a good first pass out of the zone, then he could really be something.

King Karlsson

Gersei Chongar
Sep 30, 2011
Yeah Harpur's first game wasn't so great but last night he was using his size effectively to box/pinch people out and of course the 4 assists is cool too. Thompson, Puempel, and McCormick all stood out to me. Seems like Puempel has really improved his skating.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Robinson impressed me both games. I'd like to see how he does on the big team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
These are exciting times! We've boasted about our amazing scouting abilities for a while now and we finally get to see If there is any truth to that. Zibanejad and Stone are poised to make an impact with the big club, with Pageau, Dzingel, Puempel, and others raising eyebrows in Bingo. I can't wait to see how the 2014/2015 season unfolds!

No, we already know about that. It's just that the 2011-2014 drafts are still too recent to judge...

2008 Entry 15 1 Erik Karlsson --> worth a top-3 pick that year (voted #3 in my polls), and a 1st overall most years
2008 Entry 42 2 Patrick Wiercioch --> worth a late 1st (voted #29 in my polls), still has a lot of room to grow
2008 Entry 79 3 Zack Smith --> worth an early/mid 2nd (about to be voted)
2008 Entry 119 4 Derek Grant --> worth a late 2nd/early 3rd, still has a lot of room to grow
2008 Entry 139 5 Mark Borowiecki --> worth a late 2nd/early 3rd, still has a lot of room to grow

2009 Entry 9 1 Jared Cowen --> voted 24th overall in my re-do draft polls, but had a down year for several reasons. I'm confident his stock will rise again
2009 Entry 39 2 Jakob Silfverberg --> voted 21th overall in my re-do draft polls
2009 Entry 46 2 Robin Lehner --> voted 14th overall in my re-do draft polls, could end up fairly higher
2009 Entry 100 4 Chris Wideman --> a bit too early to tell, will most certainly end up as a bottom-pair journeymen D-man
2009 Entry 130 5 Mike Hoffman --> a bit too early to tell, probably worth a late 2nd at the moment, but his stock could rise, starting this season
2009 Entry 191 7 Michael Sdao --> a bit too early to tell, could end up a bottom-pair journeymen D-man

2010 draft : didn't have many picks, ended up trading our 1st for Rundblad, then max his prospect value, then trade him for Turris
2010 Entry 178 6 Mark Stone --> looking good?

* Note that we don't particulary draft high (Cowen highest on that list at 9th, and Karlsson original pick was a 18th OA), so it makes even better.

Oil For The Boys

Jan 7, 2013
I thought Harpur and McCormick were our two best players. Harpur is a very good skater but hasn't grown into his body yet.

I still find it shocking that we haven't drafted a forward that has scored 20 goals in a season since Patrick Eaves (Foligno did but for Columbus). Hopefully we can accomplish that this season with Lazar, Zibanejad, or Stone.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 12m
#SensRooks head coach Luke Richardson confirms to media that @ChrisDriedger will start in goal tonight vs. @NHLBlackhawks in London.

Ottawa Senators ‏@Senators 10m
.@DarrenKramer22 will wear the captain's C tonight while @ShanePrince18 and @GarThompson will wear an A. #SensRooks

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 9m
Lazar, Claesson, Puempel and Rutkowski won't play tonight. #Sens

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
For Lazar, Claesson and Puempel I'm guessing it's to give them a break before Ottawa's camp.

Also to give other rookies a chance. It's a pretty common practice amongst the rookie squads.

Our D was weak at the start, can't imagine how they'll do without Claesson and Rutkowski.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Is it 5 invitees and Harpur on D?

Travis Brown
Mitch Jones
Ben Harpur
Stefan Leblanc
Alex Lepkowski
Matt Murphy

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
I love how well Lazzy and Pumps are playing together! And a nice showing by Max yesterday with two goals!

When is Ottawa's next Rookie Tourney Game? I'd like to watch it.

Edit:

Got it, but what time do they play at, and where can I watch it?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I love how well Lazzy and Pumps are playing together! And a nice showing by Max yesterday with two goals!

When is Ottawa's next Rookie Tourney Game? I'd like to watch it.

Edit:

Got it, but what time do they play at, and where can I watch it?

7pm.

Either on Rogers 22 or Hockeystreams

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Puempel is doing all the right things to get noticed. Lets see how well it carries over into the main camp. Would love to see him get a shot.

That would be great to see. I would like to see the #1 Bingo line last year get a shot together to see if their AHL chemistry could translate to the NHL. Perhaps they could give Peumpel, Hoffman and Stone some time together. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad