Post-Game Talk: Rookie Tournament: Leafs vs. Sens || combined with GDT

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Guys chill out, its just a freaking rookie tournament. :laugh:

How the **** are we supposed to make the playoffs this year if our 2013 Draft picks are delivering gutless efforts like the one we saw tonight?

Absolutely disgraceful. Gives the Sens complete momentum going into the 2017 season

Paradoc

John Tavares is a Leaf!
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
How the **** are we supposed to make the playoffs this year if our 2013 Draft picks are delivering gutless efforts like the one we saw tonight?

Absolutely disgraceful. Gives the Sens complete momentum going into the 2017 season

Yeah, and we should trade every prospect over 20 and fire the coaching staff that was responsible for this despicable performance. :sarcasm:

Jokes aside, some people take these games very seriously especially since it rookie game..

Dangles McGavin

RIP Lounge
Jul 7, 2010
Seattle/Waterloo
Biggs and Gauthier were both very underwhelming.

We simply do not have enough top-six firepower to compete with Ottawa. Leivo looked a bit off, Ross is what he is...

Very impressed with Percy, and like someone said previously in the thread- MacWilliam should be given serious consideration for the Marlies Captaincy.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010

We simply do not have enough top-six firepower to compete with Ottawa. Leivo looked a bit off, Ross is what he is...

Very impressed with Percy, and like someone said previously in the thread- MacWilliam should be given serious consideration for the Marlies Captaincy.

I was very impressed with Gauthier. I thought he came as advertised. His play without the puck was probably the best of any forward and that's pretty good considering how young he is

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The Sens always win this tourney, let them have it.

As long as it never translates into reality for them.

They also had 13 over 21s, compared to our 2.

stormtracker

Apr 29, 2006
Guelph
Just got in from London. Not to deviate from many of the comments on this thread but here are my observations of the game.

(1) Percy was dynamic the first period and a half. He was quite a presence on the point. He did not seem to be utilized as much the

(2) The Leafs had considerable size up front with Broll, Crecenzi, etc. but those big bodies did not play the consistent hitting game that could have severely disrupted the Sens prospects skating and passing. To play any role at all, these players have to be banging away.

(3) Finn and Reilly did not play which considerably lessens the talent on the ice.

(4) the turning point of the game was the failure of the Leafs
to do anything with the 5 on 3 in the second period. The power play was far too fancy and the only real scoring chance came near the end but the shot was over the net.

(5) I did not see much from McKegg, Leivo, Ross when they were on the ice.

Anyways, this is a rookie tournament and nothing will turn on this but it is a little surprising these players did not push themselves a little more than was seen.

My thoughts anyways.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I was very impressed with Gauthier. I thought he came as advertised. His play without the puck was probably the best of any forward and that's pretty good considering how young he is

Over the three games I actually thought the new crop of forwards Verhaeghe, Herzog, Gauthier were impressive through out.

Johnson over seas is showing promise as well.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
It was one freaking game!!!!!!!

Sure, I know.

There's just a few too many lumbering players who don't create much offense. It's carry over effect from having Burke run the team, But I would just like to see emphasis on skill and speed now, And it's look like that maybe case with this pass draft class which I'm fan of.

It's also a hit not having Toninato and Cameranesi there.

Listen I'm not calling for anybody's job, Just no more grinders with top 70 picks. :thumbu:

Yosho

Logic
Mar 30, 2010
Kitchener, ON
There's more breakdowns and overreacting in this thread than the Game-7-Meltdown PGT.

It's a rookie tournament - basically a fancy scrimmage. Relax, y'all.

SteveV*

Omg, it was basically a scrimmage, prior to a training camp. WOW!!

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
There are a few posters that need to realize the purpose of this tournament and it isn't to win it. It is for evaluating your prospects against other high level prospects. It seemed like Spott might have shortened his bench in the third and it wasn't to put the best on. He was riding a lot of the bubble boys to see what they could do...see Yuen.

Some of my thoughts are

Reilly will see 9 games and be evaluated then.
MacWilliam just leapfrogged Granberg(not really that impressed at all)for the next shot at the Leafs.
I think Percy is better then either of them but some more time in the AHL will do him wonders.
Matt Rupert will be signed.
Bibeau seems a little fragile at this point - got lots of time though.
Trevor Murphy will get consideration for a contract.

EDDIE20*

The Sens always win this tourney, let them have it.

As long as it never translates into reality for them.

They also had 13 over 21s, compared to our 2.

Exactly. Didn't the Sens win it last time? I'd rather we whip them during the regular season, and we've been doing that lately for the most part.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Here's my view on how each player did. I try not to take these tournaments too seriously, but more to evaluate what the prospects skill sets are and how they've progressed. So don't take what I'm saying too critically.

Goalies:

Sparks and Gibsons looked solid. Few issues with some rebound control, but hey that's preseason. Bibeau, aside from the team leaving him out to dry a bit, was still the worst amongst the three. He's a project like any goalie selected so late.

Defensemen:

UFAs: I think Kevin Raine and Zach Yuen played well. Yuen showed some real skill in his first game; faded a bit in the 2nd. Raine had a poor 2nd game I thought, but played well in games 1 and 3. Raine has the benefit of playing in Russia prior to coming over, so I wonder how much that helped him. Either way, they are both 20 and pro eligible. If not an ELC, then perhaps signing him to an ATO/PTO so they can bounce between the Marlies/ECHL and see what they can do at that level before investing in them. Murphy is an offensive type, but his age/inexperience certainly showed.

Morgan Rielly was the obvious standout when he played. Matt Finn was also solid and it's unfortunate he got hurt. Hopefully he can have a healthy season because he's a good prospect.

Granberg looked out of place and not really comfortable. He's going to have to adjust obviously and time with the Marlies should help that. Or perhaps he shakes the rust off and is lights out at Leafs camp? We'll see. I doubt that's the Granberg Leaf scouts are excited about.

Percy I thought was very solid. He got better as the tournament went on. A few soft defensive plays and miscommunication, but he had some really patient plays that are impressive for a 20 yr old. He'll need to add more muscle and hopefully try to add some explosiveness to his first few steps. He's slippery, but there were a few times he got caught because he was a slow off the hop.

Andrew MacWilliam played very strong. Physically imposing and his skating has really come a long way. He's one of the older players at camp and it showed. I'm very excited to see him with the Marlies this year.

Forwards:

Tyler Biggs played well in his role. I think he was held back a bit by Devane and Crescenzi as he seemed to produce more offensively when he was playing with the Ruperts (IIRC). He showed good hustle and physical play. Crescenzi was a beast on the faceoffs (at least in game 2) which should help him out in trying to secure a checking role with the Marlies. Kind of reminded me of David Steckle. Devane I was disappointed with. I know he's a monster, and maybe no one wants to go with him, but his physical game (shift to shift) left me really wanting more. Great scrap though.

Someone who delivered in the physical department - David Broll and Brad Ross. Broll kept his motor going and showed good checking ability. He's a monster on skates and you try to think how punishing he's going to be as a 23-24 year old. I think Spott is going to play the hell out of him unless it's obvious he can't keep up in the AHL. Funny, I think Spott is going to use Broll the way a lot of people hope he uses Biggs (i.e. in offensive situations - where Biggs will be more checking and PK). And Ross..THAT's the Ross I want to see this year in the AHL. It looked like he got banged up in game 3 which limited his effectiveness. Overall he played as I hoped a player with his experience would.

I was expecting more from McKegg. Thought he played well in game one, but was kind of meh game 3. Was expecting more offensive dominance. McKegg's been a guy in the past who's impressed in camp, so I wonder how he'll do if he makes it into any exhibition games. He's likely to be a key top-six guy this year for the Marlies, so he'll have ample opportunity.

Leivo was arguably the most skilled forward. I think he's going to have a good year with the Marlies. Connor Brown showed some flashes of high skill play and got off a few good chances. He's a project though still.

The Ruperts were really impressive also. Matt Rupert showed really good hands on both his goals, and with his brother being a set up man..maybe they should sign him. If anything, they'll be entertaining as hell in the AHL. They both were better as the tournament went on.

Sam Carrick showed good hustle and played a strong grinding game. I was always a fan of him in the OHL, and I love the way he plays. Hopefully he can stick in the AHL for an extended period this season.

Top pick in this past draft, Gauthier looked good, but was 'quiet' which I think is OK for his style. He certainly didn't look out of place and his skating looked strong. Other 2013 picks Verhaeghe and Herzog played OK. Herzog did strike similar resemblences to Olden in play style, but I found him to be a bit more willing to engage physically. Although, he tended to bounce off more then his fair share of guys lol. He's a bean pole, so hopefully he can add the necessary bulk because I think he's an interesting project. I wasn't expecting much out of either, although Verhaeghe's play at development camp peaked my interest in seeing if he could carry it over to the rookie tournament.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I just watched the game in 6 minutes and was looking for all the goals that Granberg caused ... still looking.

First 2 games of the tournament were just as important or not as the 3rd. game.

These are just prospect games and do we want to guess how many of these guys will actually become NHL players?

Games should just be considered entertainment, and an opportunity to watch a few players in a scrimmage.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
I'm not going to overreact to the loss, But the scouting staff needs to start looking for different kinds of forward.

Why? we had youngest team in the tournament by a mile. Its about development and where these guys will be in 3-4 yrs. If reilly and finn played last night..score would have been a lot diffrent

Thquirrel

Sep 9, 2013
I'm not going to overreact to the loss, But the scouting staff needs to start looking for different kinds of forward.

So your idea of not overreacting is... overreacting?

I don't mind the mix of forwards we have. Large skill guys like Leivo. Grinders, and power forward types like Biggs and Broll. Small, skilled types like Brown, Johnson (in Europe). Big, two way centers like Gauthier and Crescenzi. Pests like Ross and, Rupert. Not a bad mix at all.

mikebel111*

maybe in this game. but biggs was very good in the first 2 games.

same with ross

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
Two completely different types of prospect systems. Look at the average age of Ottawa's team vs. ours. Or the fact that Pageau is on their prospect team for some reason when he's already got 19 NHL games under his belt. Not to mention the fact that we were missing two of our top prospects in Rielly and Finn.

It would have been nice to go undefeated, but this loss literally means nothing with regards to the future of our team and prospect system.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
we should have dressed Lupul, Kessel and Orr. THEN we could show those lil Sens who's boss.

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005
2013 Rookie Tournament: Senators prospects lead the way in London

The Forest City hosted some of the league’s best and most-promising young talent over the weekend, thanks to the four-team, Toronto Maple Leafs’-sponsored 2013 Rookie Tournament. And team brass and fans alike can hope that some of the players who passed through the Budweiser Gardens in London, ON will serve as the foundation upon which success will be built for years to come.

The tournament pitted prospects from four franchises: the host Maple Leafs, the Ottawa Senators, the Chicago Blackhawks, and the Pittsburgh Penguins. Through six games, fans, coaches, and team brass saw some good, some bad, and some ugly.… read more

More...

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
The Burke mold.

He traded a lot of picks and concentrated on character,grit and d guys. If anything we need to get more picks and go crazy on the skill now. For the amount of picks they had our scouting has done a good job but alas, Burke wasn't seeking the flash players so most likely Leivo is the only top 6 forward prospect(Kadri graduated) from his era.

With Reilly,Finn and perhaps Granberg our d now looks quite strong.We can all see the hole in the offensive forward dept, Nonnis will have to fix that as with Gauthier we are now all set with plenty of size. Broll,Devane,Gauthier,Biggs,Ross. They won't be fun to play against.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not a lot of Leaf related content in the article, so I'm going to merge it with our on going thread discussion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad