Post-Game Talk: Rookie Tournament: Leafs vs. Sens || combined with GDT

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
impressive 3rd period from the Sens prospects.

Prince, Dunn, Stone, Pageau all looked really good. Really exposed the Leafs' weak links. And Hammond was unbeatable in net.

My good first impression of Bibeau faded pretty quick - he was exposed pretty badly at the end there. But it wasn't all his fault, the Leafs' patchwork D didn't look great.

Game turned on special teams in the middle there - PPgl, SHgl, PPgl and suddenly a 2-1 lead was a 4-2 defecit. Then the quickie 5th goal right off the faceoff and it was all over.

Wish we could have seen more of Percy and Rielly on the PP points instead of Spott giving all that time to invites Murphy and Yuen....but I guess that's what rookie camp is for, to get a look at those kinds of guys. Unfortunately for those two, this performance probably means they didn't earn a contract and will have to go back to junior somewhere.

But hey, at least the Leafs beatdown the Sens in all the fights!

p.s. sens team was way too old for this tourney anyways. #cheaters

Part of this is due to recent Sens draft trends of taking College-bound kids with a lot of their late picks, which translates into 22/23 year old "rookies" once they play out their NCAA eligibility.

hockeygeek

Apr 28, 2010
Part of this is due to recent Sens draft trends of taking College-bound kids with a lot of their late picks, which translates into 22/23 year old "rookies" once they play out their NCAA eligibility.

It is what it is and it's good competition. It shows the juniors where they need to be in a few years. I think tonight was a good lesson for the Leaf prospects. The bragging rights disappear in a couple of weeks anyway

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Did Carrick play today?
I only caught like 5 minutes of the TOR vs PITT game but again I liked what I saw from him. I can definitely see him being a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL in a few seasons.

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
His previous 5 years were though.

I moved away from Ontario years ago, so I have only the World Jr championship to go on....I was not impressed then....but will still wait a while to see what kind of an AHL coach he is. Eakins was a power tripping and wanted to break down his rookies.

Rielly should have played a **** load of minutes last year as he was easily his best D man....yet he did not play him like such. Same goes for Biggs and Percy and Ross etc.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Did Carrick play today?
I only caught like 5 minutes of the TOR vs PITT game but again I liked what I saw from him. I can definitely see him being a 3rd/4th liner in the NHL in a few seasons.
Nope, I find we sat our best prospects other than Mckegg.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I have no issues with sitting the "best prospects"

The management wanted to get a look at the lower prospects, especially the ones just drafted. They aren't worried about winning a rookie tournament, or if fans didnt get to see Morgan Rielly.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Your assuming things would have been different if he made all the choices you wanted. Which would make you some kind of hockey coaching prodigy. Maybe you should take up the profession and show everyone how it's done

+1, and the same can be said for a lot of people here.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Eakins was a power tripping and wanted to break down his rookies.

Oh sweet Jebus :facepalm:

Rielly should have played a **** load of minutes last year

You mean after he'd already played a full season of Junior?

he was easily his best D man....yet he did not play him like such.

Reilly scored 3 points and was a -1 in the 14 regular season games he played. Ranger scored 25 points and was a +16 in the 51 regular season games he played. But yeah, Reilly was easily the best defenceman on the team. Right. Sure he was.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I moved away from Ontario years ago, so I have only the World Jr championship to go on....I was not impressed then....but will still wait a while to see what kind of an AHL coach he is. Eakins was a power tripping and wanted to break down his rookies.

Rielly should have played a **** load of minutes last year as he was easily his best D man....yet he did not play him like such. Same goes for Biggs and Percy and Ross etc.

Biggs, Percy, and Ross all have contracts with the Maple Leafs and have essentially already made the Marlies. Spott will be seeing plenty of them. It really, really...is not a big deal.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Rielly only played one game in a useless tournament meant to get a look at some prospects?

Might as well fold up and move to Atlanta

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Any team with the maple leaf crest has trouble holding a lead, whether its rookies or the big club. A bit disappointed, but its all good. Atleast they gained experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad