Rookie camp 2019 in Irvine, CA (Ducks hosting)

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

Kind of what we expected might happen, especially if Whitecloud+Glass make the club & Holden needs to be waived to get under the cap.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I didn't see the first goal the other day but the only glaring mistake IMO was Hague's brutal turnover and coverage on a sequence that led to him taking a high sticking penalty. Everyone else was just kind of sloppy during a sloppy game on what was probably some very sloppy (slushy?) ice.

Hopefully he starts doing what he did last year.

So far the most exciting things during the rookie games have been the VGK fans that made the trip & a spicy public twitter beef between our beat reporters. :laugh:

I agree and I know this isn't the biggest part of the process but I was saying what I think was meant by a comment above. They aren't making it easier for themselves later in the process, even if it is only by a bit. The season is fast approaching and there is only a little time to show what they have got.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016

Kind of what we expected might happen, especially if Whitecloud+Glass make the club & Holden needs to be waived to get under the cap.

I don't think they really need the space. This pretty much is the situation, these guys need to outplay Holden or Merrill in camp to get a job. What they do in rookie camp isn't going to make a bit of difference in proving if they are better options than those two. Its like the old saying, you can't win a job in rookie camp, but you sure can lose it.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Down 0-1 already after a crazy bounce off the boards behind the net.

Game started off with a good pace, but they've given up about 4 big scoring chances.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Glass with the big block...eeesh. Don't be a hero, Cody.

I don't think they really need the space. This pretty much is the situation, these guys need to outplay Holden or Merrill in camp to get a job. What they do in rookie camp isn't going to make a bit of difference in proving if they are better options than those two. Its like the old saying, you can't win a job in rookie camp, but you sure can lose it.

Yeah but they'd literally be over the cap depending on which rookies make the club

Reactions: derriko

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Cotter is getting abused this game. Much better effort this time but still no goals despite consecutive power plays.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Much better effort in the 3rd. They're blocking a lot of shots, good passing on the PP. They want to win this one.

Still down 2-1.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Stream cut out, now it's 4-2 Ducklings.
Schuldt still looks tiny.

Rondbjerg almost scores on a breakaway. Now a wide open Leschyshyn scores off a great Coghlan feed. 4-3 now.

Ducks score on the empty net. 5-3

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Stream cut out, now it's 4-2 Ducklings.
Schuldt still looks tiny.

Rondbjerg almost scores on a breakaway. Now a wide open Leschyshyn scores off a great Coghlan feed. 4-3.

Coghlan looks good as an offensive defenseman, too bad we have so many ahead of him currently and need a more defensive defenseman to take the spot.

But in a year or so he could be a cheaper Miller for us. Top 4 RD potential with offensive upside.

I still think we will need to trade Schuldt/Whitecloud, 2nd, and Carrier/Zykov for a veteran top 4 RD rental with an extra season during this year.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Gogolev did make a nifty move around a couple of Ducks, got into the high slot and got off a shot that was blocked. He looked about equal to Rondbjerg at all areas of the ice.

It wouldn't hurt to give him an invite to main camp & let him play on Sunday.

Ferguson looked great btw.

Coghlan looks good as an offensive defenseman, too bad we have so many ahead of him currently and need a more defensive defenseman to take the spot.

But in a year or so he could be a cheaper Miller for us. Top 4 RD potential with offensive upside.

I still think we will need to trade Schuldt/Whitecloud, 2nd, and Carrier/Zykov for a veteran top 4 RD rental with an extra season during this year.

I wouldn't give up on Schuldt and Whitecloud just yet. It may have to be defense by committee this year.

Reactions: Vegan Knight

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Gogolev did make a nifty move around a couple of Ducks, got into the high slot and got off a shot that was blocked. He looked about equal to Rondbjerg at all areas of the ice.

It wouldn't hurt to give him an invite to main camp & let him play on Sunday.

Ferguson looked great btw.

I wouldn't give up on Schuldt and Whitecloud just yet. It may have to be defense by committee this year.

I think Gogolev could be worth a contract. I think Ferguson is the best we have to replace Fleury.

I don't think I've given up on Whitecloud or Schuldt, I think it is a trade for space and our window. And we can afford to do it now.

Theodore, Schmidt and McNabb are there to stay, and Hague isn't going anywhere. With Coghlan looking good for at least a year from now and Bischoff a good seventh option, where is the space for both of them to learn at the NHL level at the same time?

We are win now and have Demin, Korczak, and Bouchard as options for a few years from now.

We can afford to give one of them in a trade to solidify the top 4 RD for a few seasons of contending while Theodore improves and Hague can establish himself as an NHL regular, and Coghlan works out the parts of his game. I think it will happen to give us a solid, veteran presence with Theodore so they can put McNabb and Schmidt, who work well together, and Merrill/Schuldt/Hague with Engelland/Whitecloud.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Glass with the big block...eeesh. Don't be a hero, Cody.

Yeah but they'd literally be over the cap depending on which rookies make the club

According to Capfriendly they have 22 players and 1.025m of space. No need for space. Might be nice to have it so they could make a trade or pay off the Engo bonuses, but they aren't in danger of exceeding the cap since they are going to add one more player with an under $1m contract. Still believe it will come down to if they think a rookie is outplaying Holden right now to the point they are willing to eat $1.1m getting rid of a serviceable 5th/6th D-man with an expiring contract.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
According to Capfriendly they have 22 players and 1.025m of space. No need for space. Might be nice to have it so they could make a trade or pay off the Engo bonuses, but they aren't in danger of exceeding the cap since they are going to add one more player with an under $1m contract. Still believe it will come down to if they think a rookie is outplaying Holden right now to the point they are willing to eat $1.1m getting rid of a serviceable 5th/6th D-man with an expiring contract.

Add in Whitecloud 925k, take off McKenzie 750k and add Glass 863k. They are over by 13k.

Reactions: CupInSIX

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
Add in Whitecloud 925k, take off McKenzie 750k and add Glass 863k. They are over by 13k.
If that is what they want to begin the year with, they only have to send the 1 of them down for 3 days or both for 2 days and they would be under the cap.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
If that is what they want to begin the year with, they only have to send the 1 of them down for 3 days or both for 2 days and they would be under the cap.

It isn't a big issue but I think you're right that Glass or Whitecloud will not be on the team for the first game or two even if they wanted that in order to alleviate this. It should be fine, we probably will have a lot more call ups this season because none of Glass, Hague, Schuldt, Whitecloud, Coghlan or Bischoff are slideable contracts and none have to go through waivers. There would be no disincentive to use them as the team needs this season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

That's definitely an option provided everyone's healthy & there's no game time decisions for the season opener.

Though sending down Holden and having him clear would bury 1.075m of cap from the start, and let them accrue more cap space along with 2-3 rookies sent up & down.

Last edited:

sabresfan65

Vegas HAS Hockey!!
Sponsor
May 23, 2004
Vegas
This all assumes that Whitecloud even beats out Schuldt and Hague to begin with since he is the only one who's salary doesn't fit.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
That's definitely an option provided everyone's healthy & there's no game time decisions for the season opener.

Though sending down Holden and having him clear would bury 1.075m of cap from the start, and let them accrue more cap space along with 2-3 rookies sent up & down.

Why be in such a hurry to bury Holden unless he's just clearly getting outplayed? The cap game has come and gone, now its just a matter of keeping the best players on the squad. Holden isn't impressive and isn't worth $2.2m, but he's probably a better option than most of the potential rookies. Lets hope I'm wrong and he's outplayed by a couple of them, but I'm not expecting that. And while his salary might have hurt the team's ability to put together the squad they wanted, I'm sure some team will send over a lower pick or two at the deadline for him so might as well keep him engaged and find him a new home later this year. Some playoff team is inevitably going to have injuries or a hole in their third pairing and be willing to give up something small for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad