Rookie camp 2019 in Irvine, CA (Ducks hosting)

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
So it appears none of the defenseman want that spot in the NHL. :skeptic:

None of this matters. How these guys look against real NHLers is all that will be considered. These games will be long forgotten. Games are good though to remind people that certain skill sets will always stand out, even more so against lower level competition.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
None of this matters. How these guys look against real NHLers is all that will be considered. These games will be long forgotten. Games are good though to remind people that certain skill sets will always stand out, even more so against lower level competition.

I think they haven't played good defense, even without standing out for driving play or anything. It makes me think we are going to be really hurting on the right side of our entire defense. I think we will need to address that during the season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville

This. Even though Whitecloud and Hague are very comfortable with each other, let's see how Whitecloud does paired with Merrill and Hague with Engelland.

Just like we all know what Glass can do with Tuch, and he hasn't been able to generate much with his current linemates.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

This tournament is a good chance to judge players against their peers. (Anaheim notwithstanding who stocked their roster with a lot of NHL experience. )

This tournament will be taken into consideration, but perhaps not as highly ranked as regular camp.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018

I think it means there will always be an excuse (could be a legitimate excuse) but at some point these players need to step up. If they are going to have a bad rookie camp then they need to realize they have about three weeks to step up against increasingly harder competition.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I think it means there will always be an excuse (could be a legitimate excuse) but at some point these players need to step up. If they are going to have a bad rookie camp then they need to realize they have about three weeks to step up against increasingly harder competition.

Aside from Elvenes and Glass playing a little bit last year, none of the forwards are used to each other, and the sloppiness of most of the invites compounds how disorganized they are. It's hard to play D with that bottom 6 not helping out. I hope they go all out today if nothing else than to make for an exciting game.

Yeah it's an excuse but it's true - most of their top forward prospects aren't playing. Having said that, Glass, Rondbjerg and Elvenes could show more oomf.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Aside from Elvenes and Glass playing a little bit last year, none of the forwards are used to each other, and the sloppiness of most of the invites compounds how disorganized they are. It's hard to play D with that bottom 6 not helping out. I hope they go all out today if nothing else than to make for an exciting game.

Yeah it's an excuse but it's true - most of their top forward prospects aren't playing. Having said that, Glass, Rondbjerg and Elvenes could show more oomf.

They have limited opportunities to show they should get in the team and doing poorly out of the gate doesn't help any of them or instill a lot of confidence in our defense for the season. The excuses are what they are but the performances put more pressure on all of them as this process goes on.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
They have limited opportunities to show they should get in the team and doing poorly out of the gate doesn't help any of them or instill a lot of confidence in our defense for the season. The excuses are what they are but the performances put more pressure on all of them as this process goes on.

I didn't see the first goal the other day but the only glaring mistake IMO was Hague's brutal turnover and coverage on a sequence that led to him taking a high sticking penalty. Everyone else was just kind of sloppy during a sloppy game on what was probably some very sloppy (slushy?) ice.

Hopefully he starts doing what he did last year.

So far the most exciting things during the rookie games have been the VGK fans that made the trip & a spicy public twitter beef between our beat reporters. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad