Rookie camp 2014 (starts Sept. 13)

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Quiet aside from a few rushes by Sekac today.. Red team just wasn't very good.

Andrighetto was the best player on the ice. He's not that far away, an injury to a scoring forward and hell see NHL time this season..

Scherbak lacked some energy from the flu but he was a beauty with his puck on his stick. He circles like a shark. Understands where open men and open ice are. His vision was on display, he makes shifty little quick lob passes into open space and threads the puck through to open men. Was hoping to see his shot. One of the few players to throw hits and go hard for the puck. D zone he coasts, as most young offensive forwards do.

De LA rose had a good first half. In hard. Cycled well. Showed some hands and some vision.

Papirny is brutal. Bye.

We might have something in Hawkey. Very impressive footwork and positioning. Flashed his Glove a lot. Most notably on a quick release by Big Mac. Great rebound control.

habitue*

Agreed, Beaudoin should be at the main camp no doubt in my mind.
Audette really look like a steal right now!

Hopefully,Habs management won't keep all the smallish guys they drafted in the last few seasons. Enough of the Smurfs area.

I hope a couple of them will play with the Habs. Not all.

Audette, Reway, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Hudon. And we still have DD and Gallagher up front.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
My observations:

- Scherbak is ridiculously fluid on skates. You know he has unreal ice vision offensively, and what impressed me is that he wasn't afraid to get engaged in one-on-one battle along the board.

- Sekac could basically do whatever the hell he felt like doing. His speed is quite something too. Very often I saw him rush the puck, then be the first guy on the backcheck.

- This Beaudoin guy is rock solid defensively. Was in Sekac's legs quite often.

- Tim Bozon is a guy who is at his best when he doesn't have to carry the puck.

- JDLR is HUGE, but man, he has to show more intensity. This aspect of him game disappointed me.

- In terms of raw offensive skills, Andrighetto might be a little better than Sekac, but I don't think his game would translate as easily in the NHL as Sekac's would on the short term.

- This Hill guy has good skills. He might be big, not the quickest neither, but he can do something with a puck.

- Audette is probably the quickest player on this rookie camp. He has a nice, heavy shot too. 5th round was too low for a guy like him.

- Thomas and Holland looked ridiculously quiet in a camp filled with 18-20 years old guys.

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
My observations:

- Scherbak is ridiculously fluid on skates. You know he has unreal ice vision offensively, and what impressed me is that he wasn't afraid to get engaged in one-on-one battle along the board.

- Sekac could basically do whatever the hell he felt like doing. His speed is quite something too. Very often I saw him rush the puck, then be the first guy on the backcheck.

- JDLR is HUGE, but man, he has to show more intensity. This aspect of him game disappointed me.

- In terms of raw offensive skills, Andrighetto might be a little better than Sekac, but I don't think his game would translate as easily in the NHL as Sekac's would on the short term.

- This Hill guy has good skills. He might be big, not the quickest neither, but he can do something with a puck.

- Audette is probably the quickest player on this rookie camp. He has a nice, heavy shot too. 5th round was too low for a guy like him.

- Thomas and Holland looked ridiculously quiet in a camp filled with 18-20 years old guys.

Nice report. Thanks for the update

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Hopefully,Habs management won't keep all the smallish guys they drafted in the last few seasons. Enough of the Smurfs area.

I hope a couple of them will play with the Habs. Not all.

Audette, Reway, Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Hudon. And we still have DD and Gallagher up front.

Audette, Reway and Lehkonen are a few years, so we're still not sure if they'll make it or not. Ghetto is soon. Hudon, I don't think he'll make it. There will be a natural elimination. If not, trades will happen. Having said that....we still need some guys in the lineup. And the big guys needs to be good enough to make it.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
My observations:

I agree with pretty much everything you said but I tought Thomas was very good today in the O zone.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Prediction for cuts:

- Every invitation except Beaudoin and Yuen (more a wish...). Outside chance to....Imama. Incredibly outside chance to....Goulet. More incredibly outside chance to....Gadoury (why invite him if he can't go at all?)

- Every 2014 draftee except: Audette and Scherbak.

- That's it. There's no really any reason why you'd cut AHL guys as their practices are't scheduled for too soon if I'm no mistaken.

Yet the guys that need a serious look:
Ghetto, DLR, Sekac, Ellis, Dietz, Thomas, Holland, Bennett, Grégoire, Hudon, Chouinard and Sorkin. The latter 2 are more for Lefebvre. But with the players we have, you still need to know if those 2 belong in the plans.

Prediction: Ellis and Holland are about to go. At best, this is their last year. They'd need to be tremendously impressive to move on with us after that year....if they last that long.

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
I found that these scrimmages didn't showcase the big guys' abilities as much as the small guys. This was a lot of skating and transition games which tends to highlights abilities of Andrighetto, Beaudoin, Audette, Thomas, Hudon and Gregoire. And for the most part, they were the best players.

OTOH, guys like McCarraon, Hill, Shmaltz, De La Rose and Nevins and most of the defensemen never got to show us their board work which is a big part of an NHL game. I think that is the most impressive thing about McCarron. His ability to play the boards and keep the puck. So I'm not too disappointed with the showing of the big guys. Playing Boston would seem to be the type of game tailor made for him rather than intra squad games with teammates on both sides.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Prediction for cuts:

- Every invitation except Beaudoin and Yuen (more a wish...). Outside chance to....Imama. Incredibly outside chance to....Goulet. More incredibly outside chance to....Gadoury (why invite him if he can't go at all?)

- Every 2014 draftee except: Audette and Scherbak.

- That's it. There's no really any reason why you'd cut AHL guys as their practices are't scheduled for too soon if I'm no mistaken.

Yet the guys that need a serious look:
Ghetto, DLR, Sekac, Ellis, Dietz, Thomas, Holland, Bennett, Grégoire, Hudon, Chouinard and Sorkin. The latter 2 are more for Lefebvre. But with the players we have, you still need to know if those 2 belong in the plans.

Prediction: Ellis and Holland are about to go. At best, this is their last year. They'd need to be tremendously impressive to move on with us after that year....if they last that long.

No chance they keep Hawkey as well?
Leroux said that Sorkin was already sign for this season ( AHL deal).

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
In those scrimmages I think I've seen more of Thomas than in all his camps/pre-season games/actual games with us. Good skater, really good shot and more importantly, he was competing hard. He threw some solid hits out there, on much bigger guys, something I did not expect of him at all. Played more like his father. It's make or break for him this year.

Outside of the obivous Andrighetto, Sekac, De la Rose, etc, I think the guy who surprised me the most was Audette. The guy seems crazy talented. Still very raw but he displayed a pretty nice vision, good puck skill and is not afraid to go in the traffic. He's still a long though, mainly because of his sieze and the 2 junior years + AHL time he has to do but he definetely doesn't look like he was drafted just because of his dad :laugh:

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Guillaume Lefrançois ‏@glefrancoisLP 5m
Philippe Gadoury a été libéré de son essai par les #Habs. N'avait pas réussi ses tests médicaux

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Guillaume Lefrançois ‏@glefrancoisLP 5m
Philippe Gadoury a été libéré de son essai par les #Habs. N'avait pas réussi ses tests médicaux

Real real shame. Kid has a boat load of talent. They better keep their eye on him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Pacioretty 2.0?

I find they look very similar in the eye test...HOWEVER...this is a big but, Sekac hasn't shown he can finish like Max, which is his main skill. Outside of being a 30-40 goal scorer, Max's other skills are solid but not ++. He could be a 20 goal 25 assist version of pacioretty on a 2nd and 3rd line...which is not bad even as a best case scenario. I think his downside is low if he shows he can play a defensive role, his size and speed makes it easy for him to be useful in today's game as a 3rd or 4th liner who can chip in.

That's too bad, was looking forward to seeing him against this competition given the small sample size in junior.

Sorkin is very impressive!!!

Yes, though he is older than most, definitely a nice guy to have in the AHL and seems to have NHL potential.

Not really saying much though since no one is standing out a whole lot..

Ghetto looks good again.. I guess..

Still impressive for an 18 year old playing against mostly older guys. A lot of AHLers, guys that played pro in Europe and older NCAA guys.

When you consider he missed essentially a year of development, he's in a good place.

He played in the WHL up to February I believe. He did stay off the ice for a long stretch.

Be ready to hear about Charles-David Beaudoin....:D

He did look good, but he is older than the 13 and 14 picks as a 20 year old over ager. I liked him a lot last year in Drum, smart player, similar to Gorges. Maybe they'll give him an extended look AHL.

Based on merit as far as the invitees are concerned, I'd like to see Beaudoin and Yuen be invited to the pro camp. Goulet didn't do enough unfortnately. But Goulet is better than that.

Don't forget that Goulet is only 18 while a lot of others invited are AHL/Euro vets at 21-22-23, some guys are 6 years older!

Quiet aside from a few rushes by Sekac today.. Red team just wasn't very good.

Andrighetto was the best player on the ice. He's not that far away, an injury to a scoring forward and hell see NHL time this season..

Scherbak lacked some energy from the flu but he was a beauty with his puck on his stick. He circles like a shark. Understands where open men and open ice are. His vision was on display, he makes shifty little quick lob passes into open space and threads the puck through to open men. Was hoping to see his shot. One of the few players to throw hits and go hard for the puck. D zone he coasts, as most young offensive forwards do.

De LA rose had a good first half. In hard. Cycled well. Showed some hands and some vision.

Papirny is brutal. Bye.

We might have something in Hawkey. Very impressive footwork and positioning. Flashed his Glove a lot. Most notably on a quick release by Big Mac. Great rebound control.

Hawkey did impress me a lot, very good for a kid just drafted. Good thing for him is he may only turn pro in 3-4 years(after a few years NCAA), by then Fucale could be ready for NHL duty.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Is Makowski as well? Hard to keep up with these scrub AHL signings..

Yes and I believe Shea will be playing ECHL this year and maybe Makowski as well...

Hamilton is pretty much set..

Bennett-Pateryn
Drewiske-Dietz
Finley-Ellis
Chouinard-Thrower

I believe they will sign Chouinard at some point.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'd still invite goutlet to the big camp. Like Monctonscout said, he's a lot younger than most there and if he shows the talent to be something.. You take an extended look because you don't want someone to take something you could have had for free.

Same reason I hope they monitor Gadoury close in Halifax..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad