The Star: Ron Wilson saw firing coming, remains friends with Brian Burke, says Tim Hunter

Koolboss

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Glad he is ouuta here
I stopped watching hockey last year thats how much he bothered me.
RW u sucked and if i were you i would hide my face aswell

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Glad he is ouuta here
I stopped watching hockey last year thats how much he bothered me.
RW u sucked and if i were you i would hide my face aswell

It's typical of bullies to hide when the swings haven't gone their way. After all the crap he gave the media I feel he owed them a presser at least. Oh well, at least he's gone.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Key words there being "in December". His extension was a joke, only outdone by the fact that he lasted long enough to even get it. And the twitter jokes about his contract? It was amateur hour.

Wilson should have been fired two years sooner. He knew it, every observer of this team knew it, but Burke refused to pull the trigger either out of incompetence, or more likely, sheer bullheadedness.

This "cliff" that they went off of, it was called reality. Decent teams with decent coaches don't fall off cliffs like that. And responsible GMs don't make excuses for those kinds of results.

You are still upset at the extension? LOL

Let me bring you down to Earth - When Wilson signed the extension, many people here said he could still be fired. Wilson signed the extension, and was still fired. What the hell was wrong with the extension? lol! Nothing! It served it's purpose of ensuring that there was no lame-duck scenario coach in place, but it didn't work out.

Secondly - Burke firing Wilson directly contradicts your bit about "responsible GMs don't make excuses" for the team's slide. Firing Wilson was Burke's clear-as-day suggestion that this was Wilson's fault.

But carry on seeing things through deluded glasses if it helps

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
You are still upset at the extension? LOL

Let me bring you down to Earth - When Wilson signed the extension, many people here said he could still be fired. Wilson signed the extension, and was still fired. What the hell was wrong with the extension? lol! Nothing! It served it's purpose of ensuring that there was no lame-duck scenario coach in place, but it didn't work out.

Secondly - Burke firing Wilson directly contradicts your bit about "responsible GMs don't make excuses" for the team's slide. Firing Wilson was Burke's clear-as-day suggestion that this was Wilson's fault.

But carry on seeing things through deluded glasses if it helps

:laugh:

Some people just cant stand being wrong. A year on and people still defend Burke for keeping Wilson on.

Burke fired him because, as he said, it would be 'inhumane' to subject him to the 'fire Wilson' chats any longer. Not because he felt it was the right thing.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
It's typical of bullies to hide when the swings haven't gone their way. After all the crap he gave the media I feel he owed them a presser at least. Oh well, at least he's gone.

He was a sarcastic, sniveling punk. I expected nothing more from him than to scurry off into a hole like a rat.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
:laugh:

Some people just cant stand being wrong. A year on and people still defend Burke for keeping Wilson on.

Burke fired him because, as he said, it would be 'inhumane' to subject him to the 'fire Wilson' chats any longer. Not because he felt it was the right thing.

Yes. Burke never admitted until later that he didn't see eye to eye with Ronnie. Both of these fools got fired and we're better off for it. I'm a fan of the Leafs, not the office structure.

Apr 1, 2010
Funny how the people who still have all this hate for Wilson are the same ones who still have their panties in a knot over the Kessel trade.

You people need more fibre in your diet.

Relax a little. sheesh.

BillyD

JUST WIN BABY
Jun 23, 2009
Happy Rotten Ronnie Day

birthday_cake-candle-on-number_1.jpg

Today marks the one year anniversary of one of the greatest days in the history of our storied franchise. The end of one of the darkest coaching eras ever known.

Nazem Kadri was given life. Colton Orr was saved from death row. The era of red, white and blue disease came to a glorious end and no longer would Americans be promoted at the expense of deserving Canadians. Merit began to trump contract in determining playing time.

Playoffs became more than just a dream, they became a reality.

Hug your children. Bring your friends and loved ones near. Raise a toast. Celebrate.

For more than 3 and a half years there was no joy in Leaf Nation.

But now in this favoured land the sun is shining bright. Bands are playing everywhere and across Leaf Nation hearts are light. Everywhere men are laughing and everywhere children shout.

On that glorious day of March 2, 2012, Rotten Ronnie struck out.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
:party::towel::party::towel::party:

:wave::wave::wave::wave:

I wonder if he will ever get another job in the NHL.

Edit: I live how you did this right as it turned to March 2nd :laugh:

tinfoilcup

Feb 10, 2004
Remember when Ron Wilson ruined Leaf fans Christmas?

“‘He came! He came!’ Remember saying that as a little kid? Well he did: I got a new Red Ryder BB gun and a contract extension!,†Wilson tweeted early Christmas morning.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
BillyD, I love your post man! :D

Remember when Ron Wilson ruined Leaf fans Christmas?

“‘He came! He came!’ Remember saying that as a little kid? Well he did: I got a new Red Ryder BB gun and a contract extension!,” Wilson tweeted early Christmas morning.

I remember him tweeting that, and thought to myself "wow, he got an extension? what a selfish *****, Ron and Burke both"

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Funny how the people who still have all this hate for Wilson are the same ones who still have their panties in a knot over the Kessel trade.

Relax a little. sheesh.

Yet, there's still guys like you who will make statements like this one.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
One of my favorite holidays :laugh:.

Good times and agreed about the whole Christmas thing. That was just stupidly annoying.

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
I remember last year when I had come back from an exam and was going to have a chill night. I logged onto HFboards to see any news, and when I saw "Leafs fire Wilson, Carlyle named new head coach" on the main page, I was in absolute shock and disbelief, in a good way of course. I never thought in my wildest dreams that Burke would actually pull the trigger and do it, my eyes lit up and I was ecstatic for the rest of the night.

One of my happiest moments of being a Leaf fan. Not only was that terrible piece of **** fired, but the coach who I had dreamed of being hired by the Leafs, Carlyle, just so happened to be the guy.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario

Relax a little. sheesh.

Ron Wilson isn't just a bad coach - he's a bad person. It's always nice to see his kind get what's coming to them.

Pierre Gotye

Mar 17, 2009
McKinney, TX
Ronnie might not have been a great coach but he had a mostly underperforming, talent lacking, inconsistent, goalie-weak lineup the entire time he was here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad