The Star: Ron Wilson saw firing coming, remains friends with Brian Burke, says Tim Hunter

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Burke's actions surrounding Wilson highlight him as one of the biggest screw-ups of a GM the Leafs have ever seen.

He placed his loyalty to Wilson above creating the best situation possible for the team.

The blundering blow-hard's comments at the sports stats conference show once again that he is monumentally full of himself.

If he fired Wilson 2 years prior, he'd still be the GM.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
+1 This was the guy Burke said would be hired the next day if he fired him.:laugh:

Well, to be fair, I'm sure Brian Burke thought the same way about his own employment situation.

Maybe Burke can ease Wilson's pain by finding him a scouting job in California where all our washed up executives save face? :naughty:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
+1 This was the guy Burke said would be hired the next day if he fired him.:laugh:

Looks like he's stepped away from the game from what we've heard. Where have you heard he was seeking employment?

Wish there was a realist scorecard that lists which Burke quotes to believe and which ones to not.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
Looks like he's stepped away from the game from what we've heard. Where have you heard he was seeking employment?

Wish there was a realist scorecard that lists which Burke quotes to believe and which ones to not.

Do you have a link for that? At his final press conference in Toronto, Brian said he was looking for work immediately and wasn't interested in time off. In fact, when asked on when he'd like to be a GM again he said, "Tomorrow, if I can. I don't think I'm done from a hockey perspective. I am definitely in the job market, no question."

Edit: Oops, was looking at the post one down from the one in question. You were talking about Rotten Ronnie I assume? My bad.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The year extension was a golden parachute of sorts, Wilson will probably land somewhere. Maybe more in Europe, but as a NHL coach that remains to be seen, I think he's past his best before date.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
The year extension was a golden parachute of sorts, Wilson will probably land somewhere. Maybe more in Europe, but as a NHL coach that remains to be seen, I think he's past his best before date.

When you start pulling out the "I've won 'x number of' games in the NHL", as Wilson did for at least the final year of his tenure, you know you are washed up. It was pretty ridiculous that he began deflecting criticism by citing his past accomplishments. It didn't come across well and made him look very small (as did most of his behavior).

Hockey Talker29

Oct 10, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Burke should have been mad at Wilson, if anything.

Burke lost his job due to his excessive loyalty to his friend, who performed miserably as the coach of this franchise.

Had Burke gotten rid of Wilson sooner, we may have made the playoffs last year, which surely would have saved his job.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
When you start pulling out the "I've won 'x number of' games in the NHL", as Wilson did for at least the final year of his tenure, you know you are washed up. It was pretty ridiculous that he began deflecting criticism by citing his past accomplishments. It didn't come across well and made him look very small (as did most of his behavior).

Wilson was the worst coach the Leafs have had in eons...

UsernameWasTaken

Let's Go Hawks!
Feb 11, 2012
Toronto
How does a bad coach not see getting fired coming?

the thing is...if you're a bad coach, do you realize you're a bad coach? i think an element of being a bad coach is believing you're a good coach (because, presumably if you realized you were bad you'd make efforts to become a good coach rather than sucking all the time).

that aside, i'm so glad he and that idiot burke are both gone.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Wilson was the worst coach the Leafs have had in eons...

There we're actually 4 posters here that still post that defended this guy last year. One that stsnds out, he actually said he would never post here again if he was wroing.

You got it he's still posting. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->