The Star: Ron Wilson saw firing coming, remains friends with Brian Burke, says Tim Hunter

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Ron Wilson isn't just a bad coach - he's a bad person. It's always nice to see his kind get what's coming to them.

that's a little dramatic dude. what did Ron ever do to you? so some of you didn't like his attitude with the media... get over it, its a lot to deal with in this city.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The run and gun style it seemed was enforced by Burke.

The top 6, bottom 6 format was one of Burke's endorsement.

That lack of mobility on D was also not Wilson's fault. I'm glad he's gone but he's not entirely to blame. Our players didn't perform.

Yes he is ENTIRELY to blame. This is still largely the roster he haf except JVR Macleran and Lombardi was traded other then that much has changed yet the team is doing much better what's changed?

since the roster is largely the same the answer HAS to be coaching.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes he is ENTIRELY to blame. This is still largely the roster he haf except JVR, Macleran, and Lombardi was traded. other then that not much has changed yet the team is doing much better what's changed?

only way I can edit my post is by quoting it first? why?

Donato

#BarSouth
Nov 19, 2011
Yes he is ENTIRELY to blame. This is still largely the roster he haf except JVR Macleran and Lombardi was traded other then that much has changed yet the team is doing much better what's changed?

keep in mind it could all go south now and we could be saying the same thing about nonis and carlyle in no time..

but i agree with what your saying, he was to blame.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
keep in mind it could all go south now and we could be saying the same thing about nonis and carlyle in no time..

but i agree with what your saying, he was to blame.

But it won't because, Carlyle actually has a system he doesn't rely on the 5-3 6-4 game

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
that's a little dramatic dude. what did Ron ever do to you? so some of you didn't like his attitude with the media... get over it, its a lot to deal with in this city.

It is strange why some were so threatened by Wilson and Burke.

Sleep easy children, the big bad men are out of town.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
It is strange why some were so threatened by Wilson and Burke.

Sleep easy children, the big bad men are out of town.

they just didnt produce //lmao
get over it .....burke only fired wilson when he was backed against a wall .....had new owner been in place wilson likley wouldve been fired sooner .and maybe even burke ,and certainly would have never gotten a contract extension ....and to announce it on twitter would have nevrer been allowed ...
but to say wilson was asked to change his style is absurd .....burke knew what he had in wilson and even extended him ....alot of holes in burke's game are showing up ,they
may be freinds but ill surprised if either one works again

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
I posted that Wilson was the worst coach in the league, and when he did get fired that he would never get another coaching job again. The opposition I heard on that comment, just about every poster said 'he will coach again and soon' ..... Babababullshiitt

sangreale

Feb 21, 2008
Goaltending or the lack of it did Ronnie in to a certain degree. But it seems to me that his coaching philosophy didn't help much either. So many players who are still here are thriving under RC. His approach with the media only served to give people and additional justification for wishing him gone.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Funny how the people who still have all this hate for Wilson are the same ones who still have their panties in a knot over the Kessel trade.

You people need more fibre in your diet.

Relax a little. sheesh.

these are also the same people who who lose their water at the mention of Sundin

Ron Wilson isn't just a bad coach - he's a bad person. It's always nice to see his kind get what's coming to them.

jeebuz Dreak you do not know that with any kindo of certainty, thats just a riduculous notion

because the guy told the Toronto media to rub salt makes him a bad person, you're casting a pretty wide net, just read the threads on here, nobody likes any of them so extrapolating your thought are we all bad people?

:shakehead

Twix

Patch of velcro
Aug 12, 2011
Ron Wilson Is clearly the worst coach we've had since I've started watching the Leafs in the 90's.

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
"Ron Wilson saw firing coming..."

Well, thank Bob Cole for that revelation, The Toronto Star.

:shakehead

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
jeebuz Dreak you do not know that with any kindo of certainty, thats just a riduculous notion

It's my opinion based on a combination of things.

because the guy told the Toronto media to rub salt makes him a bad person, you're casting a pretty wide net, just read the threads on here, nobody likes any of them so extrapolating your thought are we all bad people?

Wilson's treatment of the media has little to do with what I think if him as a person. It's all about how he treats the players.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It's my opinion based on a combination of things.

Wilson's treatment of the media has little to do with what I think if him as a person. It's all about how he treats the players.

I'd hope he still considers Burke a friend:

Burke extended him, when he knew it wasn't totally justified, and he really wasn't a Burke coach.

They both had two different visions on how a team should play, he not only kept him on board, but let Wilson play the Wilson physical free fast style he wanted.

Had he fired Wilson earlier, he wouldn't have caught as much heat, "possibly" and maybe wouldn't have had to fight so many losing battles against media.

Essentially, Wilson may have cost Burke the job he so dearly loved, buries reputation took a big hit, and to boot Burke generously gave Wilson free cash for a "boat and a semi retirement".

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
Burke's actions surrounding Wilson highlight him as one of the biggest screw-ups of a GM the Leafs have ever seen.

He placed his loyalty to Wilson above creating the best situation possible for the team.

The blundering blow-hard's comments at the sports stats conference show once again that he is monumentally full of himself.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Randy Caryle - Started his career playing defense for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Ron Wilson - Started his career playing defense for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Pat Quinn - Started his career playing defense for the Toronto Maple Leafs.

What the hell was Paul Maurice doing in that mix?

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
A one year extension via Burke, yep Ron Wilson saw the golden parachute coming.

Exactly. I don't understand why so many people still hate the extension Burke gave Wilson. A 1 year extension was hardly a vote of confidence. He never coached a game of it and who cares if it cost MLSE with their nearly unlimited budget a few dollars.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad