Confirmed with Link: Ron Hextall fired as Exec VP/GM, Presser Tue 11/27 11am: Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
200.gif

We can read your mind, dont you deny it

What's wrong with that? You've spewed your pro-Hakstol and Weal drivel for years. We're tired of it.
giphy.gif

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
It's because it was refreshing compared to the other late night shows who got formulaic and played it safe to try and keep a large audience to rake in sponsor cash. His show reminded me of early Letterman and Conan, but the main difference being that he never changed to try to appeal to a larger audience as his show gained traction, and was arguably the most authentic show. If anything he got more wacky and irreverent to the late night standard fare. Which is why I believe were he to take over for Letterman at the 11:35 slot it would have never worked.

Conan and Letterman were the only other guys I watched - and whenever I sought some old footages of them on youtube, I thought the same thing as you said. I loved the authenticity

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
No matter what your opinion of Homer is, I think we can all agree that he has some of the biggest balls in the hockey world.
Holmgren went for it every year and that had some unfortunate consequences. Hextall never went for it. How do you compare the two?

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
I’d be willing to bet the philosophical difference lies in who we win the cup with. hex was prob content with riding it out and seeing where things fall in the next couple years, and the rest of upper management looks at Giroux as our best chance to win.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall never went for it because the two playoff teams he had in four full years as GM weren't close to being Cup contenders.

Reactions: achdumeingute

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Frankly, I think one of the mistakes he made was not tanking from the beginning. I would have traded Vorachek and simmonds, yielding a good haul.
I would have kept Giroux.

And by this point, the team would have been more likely to take off.

I'm not sure it would have made a huge difference unless they landed a Kapanen type prospect, assuming the trades were made in the summer of 2015, the draft picks would now be in their 2nd-3rd NHL years. And even Kapanen only has emerged this season.

But it would have changed expectations, tanking for 2-3 years would have made people more patient as the young roster filled out and improvement could be seen. Instead, making the playoffs made his life harder, because the assumption was if we made the playoffs we weren't far from being a SC contender.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce