Recalled/Assigned: Roman Scorak

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Congrats MarkGio! I expect sheer diplomacy from you for now on! :laugh:

Glad to see Horak recalled, he didn't deserve to be sent down earlier but was due to numbers. I also agree, he looks better on the wing.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Congrats MarkGio! I expect sheer diplomacy from you for now on! :laugh:

Glad to see Horak recalled, he didn't deserve to be sent down earlier but was due to numbers. I also agree, he looks better on the wing.

He does look better on wing, but where do you put him on the wing?

Id rather have him as 2nd line center than 4th line wing..

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
He does look better on wing, but where do you put him on the wing?

Id rather have him as 2nd line center than 4th line wing..

Do you believe he's defensively strong enough to be a second line winger? If you protect his matchups I think probably, but I think on the road he could be exposed.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Do you believe he's defensively strong enough to be a second line winger? If you protect his matchups I think probably, but I think on the road he could be exposed.

He is better defensively than Byron and he was being put in the same situation, I am not worried about it.

Aug 3, 2010
I'd like to see Cervenka doing what he was brought here to do.

Hudler - Cervenka - Horak

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

I'm not sure. I think if his wingers (since you mean't center) are strong enough, maybe Iggy and Glenx he would be fine. I wouldn't want him out there with Cammy and Stempniak or something though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He is defensively strong enough yes, but not offensively strong enough.

I believe the only reason he hasn't is because his English is not strong enough yet. Once he is more comfortable in that aspect I would expect to see him there.
It has been said several times, both in broadcast and interviews that Cervenka has never player center in a system even close to Hartley's. After they reviewed tape of him playing in Russia they decided he would be better off playing the wing because of the significant differences in systems between his Russian club and Hartley's.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
He is defensively strong enough yes, but not offensively strong enough.

It has been said several times, both in broadcast and interviews that Cervenka has never player center in a system even close to Hartley's. After they reviewed tape of him playing in Russia they decided he would be better off playing the wing because of the significant differences in systems between his Russian club and Hartley's.

I think he's offensively strong enough to play, I understand he's been struggling a bit in Abbottsford, but from what I hear most offensive players are looking stifled under Ward. That being said I have watched 2 Heat games this season, but in both games I thought the style was very Sutter-esque and didn't care for it at all.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
He has told the coaching staff he feels more comfortable on the wing, why would you put him in a position he doesn't feel good in?

On the topic of Czervenka, has anyone said anywhere if the Flames and him have talked about next year?

I'd love to see him locked up before he becomes an FA as I would think other team will have noticed his promise by then. I know it's still early but the thought of losing that kind of talent scares me.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think he's offensively strong enough to play, I understand he's been struggling a bit in Abbottsford, but from what I hear most offensive players are looking stifled under Ward. That being said I have watched 2 Heat games this season, but in both games I thought the style was very Sutter-esque and didn't care for it at all.
The biggest difference between the Abbotsford system and the Calgary system is in Abbotsford we don't activate the defensemen because we don't have the personnel for it. The Heat are a low scoring team because of a lack of talent, not because of the coaching.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
The biggest difference between the Abbotsford system and the Calgary system is in Abbotsford we don't activate the defensemen because we don't have the personnel for it. The Heat are a low scoring team because of a lack of talent, not because of the coaching.

Ya, like I said I've only seen two, but both I saw, neither really looked like the players were allowed to be creative offensively, similar to a sutter system that stifled creativity, and I know now it could be because of a lack of talent but the two I saw had Baertschi playing and even he seemed hesitant to create where as here he's trying to generate something every time he touches the puck. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's great for developing the defensive side of people's games but you cant say they didnt have the offensive defenseman to generate offensively, Brodie was there for the lockout too and he looks like a completely different player with the Flames.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ya, like I said I've only seen two, but both I saw, neither really looked like the players were allowed to be creative offensively, similar to a sutter system that stifled creativity, and I know now it could be because of a lack of talent but the two I saw had Baertschi playing and even he seemed hesitant to create where as here he's trying to generate something every time he touches the puck. Don't get me wrong though, I think it's great for developing the defensive side of people's games but you cant say they didnt have the offensive defenseman to generate offensively, Brodie was there for the lockout too and he looks like a completely different player with the Flames.
The players definitely have free reign, saw it alot early in the season. but once injuries piled up (Sven, Bouma, Walter.... etc) they became a bit more conservative since there was no one to score goals. Even the defensemen are allowed to pinch, Bordie did it quite often, even Steve McCarthy had a couple amazing pinches for us. But after Bordie went to Calgary and McCarthy went back to Switzerland there is no one left to pinch :laugh:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I like Horak because he can play all 3 positions. I think he is capable of putting up better offence as a winger. I think he would do well playing on the Czech line, but really we have 3 lines that get very similar minutes so wherever Hartley feels he can slot in the best I am comfortable with. I look forward to seeing what he can on this callup.

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
What would you guys be comfortable giving Cervenka? Something like 3 years 3.5? Think he'd expect more than that?

Don't jump the gun. There has been a lot of guys over the years who looked like superstars for a few weeks only to come back down to earth. He looks promising but lets see how he deals with the grind of the NHL schedule.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd have no problems with Feaster offering him a 2yr, 3 million dollar deal now. That contract may great or terrible if things go south. But judging by his skill level and chemistry with Hudler who is locked up long term, I think Cervenka and Jiri could be very a dynamic and productive duo for a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad