Roman Josi: Your Honest Thoughts

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Oh we notice him. He has looked good. His skating is very strong. He isn't afraid to take chances with the puck. He has shown some pretty good stick handling out there as well.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
If we're being honest, I don't get the Suter comparisons. They look like very different players to me. The defensive and offensive gap between them is significant enough where I wouldn't call them similar players. Josi can skate like the wind and stick handle his way up ice. While Suter was much better at reading plays, winning battles, and bringing physicality.

Of course Suter didn't start off all that great defensively, and my memory is not the best.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
Josi has time to get better defensively. I'm not sure if he will ever be as good as Suter is in that regard, but it's already apparent that he has more raw offensive skill than Suter. That's great in my mind. Those are the things you can't really teach.

I think the comparisons to Suter come from some comments made by (I think) Lambert a couple of years ago comparing Josi to both Weber and Suter. Mix in Josi taking over Suter's spot, and people expecting him to be the one to feed the puck to Weber on the point or the forwards on the rush and you have the birth of the Suter comparison.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If your going to compare current Preds to the elf in Minni I would say the closest is Ellis. Josi better compaired to Weber. He is where he needs to be at this point on the 2nd pair I said this before the season started but people thought I was just looney. Josi is still really young and in my opinion is just as good as Weber was at 22. He will prove to be more valuable than the elf when he reaches 25 or 26. The team will run into the issue of being able to keep him long term just as the did with batman and robin last offseason.

elduderino

Jul 5, 2009
It's fascinating to see that despite his obvious elite potential there isn't a lot of talk about him. Everyone is raving about OEL, Del Zotto, Subban, because they have already a much bigger (offensive) role on their respective team. But IMHO Josi has easily the potential to reach and even exceed those players in the next two or three years. The big question mark with Josi is if he can stay healthy.

elduderino

Jul 5, 2009
and that's not going to change. Weber will get all the credit for Josi being so good even when they're not on the same line.

True.
I wonder if either next year's Olympics or a deep playoff run of the Predators will change this perspective. I think having Weber as a mentor for at least the next five years (when Josi could become a UFA) will pay dividends for his development. He doesn't have to produce offensively (yet) and can focus on becoming a true 2-way defenseman.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
It's fascinating to see that despite his obvious elite potential there isn't a lot of talk about him. Everyone is raving about OEL, Del Zotto, Subban, because they have already a much bigger (offensive) role on their respective team. But IMHO Josi has easily the potential to reach and even exceed those players in the next two or three years. The big question mark with Josi is if he can stay healthy.

:laugh:

i am happy someone thinks like me ! last year i had some posts exchanges with the analyst of HF on this board about that.

Josi is still ranked 6.5 B by HF :facepalm:

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Yesterday against Dallas : 4pts ; so let's not loose our reasonability but hopefully Josi got his snipe back !! (he had it in Switzerland and didn't adjust until lately i guess)

If it is the case, he will be on for a 1 goal every 4 to 5 games.

great to see him blossom like that.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Yesterday against Dallas : 4pts ; so let's not loose our reasonability but hopefully Josi got his snipe back !! (he had it in Switzerland and didn't adjust until lately i guess)

If it is the case, he will be on for a 1 goal every 4 to 5 games.

great to see him blossom like that.

He had a great game. He's looked good all year though so I'm not surprised. Well, I guess I am surprised with 4 points, but he's a stud.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
Sort of an off-the-wall question about Josi........Anyone know what language he grew up speaking in Switzerland? I know it's like a melting pot of cultures over there.....and if I had to guess I would say German, but I'm just curious as to what accent he has when he speaks.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Sort of an off-the-wall question about Josi........Anyone know what language he grew up speaking in Switzerland? I know it's like a melting pot of cultures over there.....and if I had to guess I would say German, but I'm just curious as to what accent he has when he speaks.

German ... he is from Bern, the political capital, a german speaking region.

Dacop

Jan 19, 2013
German ... he is from Bern, the political capital, a german speaking region.

I wouldn't call that german :laugh:

But you're right, they live trying to speak (Swiss-)german.

If you want to hear a real bad swiss accent, listen to Diaz (Montreal)!

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I didn't realize that Josi is on the cover of the Swiss and German editions of NHL 2013 :yo:
Yup. And Austria as well. Basically the German language version of the game I believe. It's awesome.

roman+josi+nhl+13+ps3.jpg

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
Yeah, its crazy hes on the german cover. I wonder if Sulzer has ever been on it?

I'm not sure if it's always for the entire german speaking world or only Switzerland, but since 2010 there have been at least 3 Swiss players on the NHL covers. Streit, Hiller and Josi, don't know who it was in 2011. Maybe a german fan can confirm if those Swiss players were also on the covers in Germany. But as Switzerland is small compared to Germany it wouldn't make much sense to have a special cover solely for Switzerland.

And thus yes it's surprising there have been so few (or none) German players on that cover. Maybe because of the three countries, hockey is the biggest in Switzerland.

MKMM

Jun 15, 2012
In Germany both NHL 11 and 13 have the Original Cover, so it's only in Switzerland.
But the cover with Josi looks amazing :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad