Roman Josi: Your Honest Thoughts

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Hey guys,

I was lurking your boards trying to figure out how your blueline is shaping up this year, what with Suter (who I understand is not the most popular ex-Pred at the moment) bailing for Minnesota.

It seems the consensus, on these boards at least, is that Roman Josi will be taking over the spot opposite Weber. Is that confirmed, or merely speculation? What are Preds fans honest thoughts about Josi: What's his ceiling? What's a worst-case scenario? What is the most likely outcome with him as a 1st pairing guy in Nashville?

I know he's been fairly well-touted by some people who follow the league, but to me it seems that a lot of Nashville's season is depending on him sliding in somewhat seamlessly beside Shea.

So: Honest thoughts on Roman Josi.

Long live the SenaPreds alliance. Hope you guys are enjoying Fisher.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Josi is Suter-lite already. He is a pure defensive stud with some offensive flair. We expect him on the #1 line with Weber as per Trotz. He will get lots of ice time and being paired with Weber should give him full confidence.

Best case scenario - #1 Dman like Suter but with more scoring
Worst case scenario - Concussions end his career short. He has a history already of injuries.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Josi is Suter-lite already. He is a pure defensive stud with some offensive flair. We expect him on the #1 line with Weber as per Trotz. He will get lots of ice time and being paired with Weber should give him full confidence.

Best case scenario - #1 Dman like Suter but with more scoring
Worst case scenario - Concussions end his career short. He has a history already of injuries.

This is a good analysis. He seems to have a lot of potential to replace Suter without a huge dropoff.

The concussions i'm not real worried about, it's guys like Lindros, Crosby and Lombardi who have a hard time coming back that I worry about. Weber has had concussion issues too but being a guy who hasn't had complications returning to the ice Poile was confident enough to match a lifetime contract. I feel that right now, Josi is in the same boat as Weber, or even slightly less of a risk than Weber.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I think he's got the highest ceiling of any of our defensive prospects, Ryan Ellis included. He had a very impressive rookie year, and some are already calling him the best defenseman Switzerland has ever produced.

With that said, I think he's being rushed into a role he's not ready for, and I only hope it doesn't stunt his development.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think he's got the highest ceiling of any of our defensive prospects, Ryan Ellis included. He had a very impressive rookie year, and some are already calling him the best defenseman Switzerland has ever produced.

With that said, I think he's being rushed into a role he's not ready for, and I only hope it doesn't stunt his development.

I dont get you... sounds like you think he's pretty good, yet you think replacing Suter with him drops us from top 4 in the west to 12-13???

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Great potential and an ultra sleeper fantasy pick. He was #574 in Yahoo's rankings haha (behind Tim Thomas...). We had both ESPN and Yahoo drafts last night and I snagged him for both leagues. I think he picks up ~20 points with a respectable +/- while holding down the fort for the most part. All in all, I feel good about him, but still agree with OurGoc. He's being thrust into a very difficult position and will draw comparisons against Suter the entire season, fair or not. The good news is that I think the potential for him to succeed in this position in Nashville is vastly higher than in VAN/TOR/MTL/etc. I think he will be able to adapt his game much better as the season goes on without the absurd amount of scrutiny that comes with a major market.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Another reason I love him on the top pairing with Weber is that he already played well over 20 mins last year. Suter/Weber played about 26-28 a night. I can see Josi getting 25 for a greater part of the year.

I will admit, however, that I too am a little nervous with the injury bug.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Great potential and an ultra sleeper fantasy pick. He was #574 in Yahoo's rankings haha (behind Tim Thomas...). We had both ESPN and Yahoo drafts last night and I snagged him for both leagues. I think he picks up ~20 points with a respectable +/- while holding down the fort for the most part. All in all, I feel good about him, but still agree with OurGoc. He's being thrust into a very difficult position and will draw comparisons against Suter the entire season, fair or not. The good news is that I think the potential for him to succeed in this position in Nashville is vastly higher than in VAN/TOR/MTL/etc. I think he will be able to adapt his game much better as the season goes on without the absurd amount of scrutiny that comes with a major market.

I see it unfolding differently... it would be one thing if we signed Carle or some other UFA to replace Suter... then people would be comparing him to Suter and criticizing him for not being Suter from the get-go... but as a 2nd year player I suspect he will get a lot of slack and is more likely to be excused for not being Suter than criticized for not being Suter

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I dont get you... sounds like you think he's pretty good, yet you think replacing Suter with him drops us from top 4 in the west to 12-13???

I think he's going to be very good. That doesn't mean I think he's ready for an 8 minute spike in icetime, nor do I think he's EVER going to be as good defensively as Suter was.

I've never advocated going out and signing or trading for a lifetime replacement for Suter--I do think that will eventually be Josi, but I do believe we need someone to fill the gap for the next 2 or 3 years until Josi is ready. I don't think that time is now.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
I see it unfolding differently... it would be one thing if we signed Carle or some other UFA to replace Suter... then people would be comparing him to Suter and criticizing him for not being Suter from the get-go... but as a 2nd year player I suspect he will get a lot of slack and is more likely to be excused for not being Suter than criticized for not being Suter

I agree. We all know he is not Suter right now or if he ever reaches that level. I remember him getting schooled a handful of times last year which led directly to goals. It didn't happen alot, but it still happened. There is a learning curve with young kids. As long as he doesn't regress badly, ala Blum, I'm happy. I think Josi will continue to quietly impress as long as he stays healthy.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
Well, if we're expecting a 2nd-yr 22yo to be RS, then we need our heads examined! RJ has a pretty high ceiling. Is he "ready" to be a 1st pair guy? Well, how often do you get the luxury of a guy actually proving he's ready? He's got potential; moves puck, sees ice, decent offensive instincts. Size is ok. He played well is some high-valued ice-time last year. He's played a lotta' hockey against men from a younger age - hopefully that puts him a little further along the development curve than guys playing juniors against other teens. Personally - I expect him to be fine. Might be a bumpy half-season but over the longer-term I think he'll be a nice complement to Webs.
Roster this year probably dictates he's gonna' have to play the even-strength minutes RS played last year which might mean RE gets to play 1st-team PP - in which case RJ will be short a good bit of offensive production that RS has had.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Well, if we're expecting a 2nd-yr 22yo to be RS, then we need our heads examined! RJ has a pretty high ceiling. Is he "ready" to be a 1st pair guy? Well, how often do you get the luxury of a guy actually proving he's ready? He's got potential; moves puck, sees ice, decent offensive instincts. Size is ok. He played well is some high-valued ice-time last year. He's played a lotta' hockey against men from a younger age - hopefully that puts him a little further along the development curve than guys playing juniors against other teens. Personally - I expect him to be fine. Might be a bumpy half-season but over the longer-term I think he'll be a nice complement to Webs.
Roster this year probably dictates he's gonna' have to play the even-strength minutes RS played last year which might mean RE gets to play 1st-team PP - in which case RJ will be short a good bit of offensive production that RS has had.

Suter Offensive production?????? Assists come much easier for a 1st line defensman as they should. Suter offensive numbers are not all that great hes 36th amoung all active defensemen in the league. With 38 goals and 200 assists with 7 years in the league thats 34 poins a year average. The wild have taken a big chance with there investment.

Everyone has just convinced themselves that Josi is the linemate for Weber. Weber nor Suter were first pair at his age. Sure he is going to get a good look but when push comes to shove I don't think Trotz will put that pressure on the kid. Maybe two years from now he will be there.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Suter Offensive production?????? Assists come much easier for a 1st line defensman as they should. Suter offensive numbers are not all that great hes 36th amoung all active defensemen in the league. With 38 goals and 200 assists with 7 years in the league thats 34 poins a year average. The wild have taken a big chance with there investment.

Everyone has just convinced themselves that Josi is the linemate for Weber. Weber nor Suter were first pair at his age. Sure he is going to get a good look but when push comes to shove I don't think Trotz will put that pressure on the kid. Maybe two years from now he will be there.

Since the day Suter left, Poile, Trotz, and Weber have anointed Josi as RS's replacement.

If this doesn't work, there's really not another option, which is why I'm harping on this. It's a very real possibility that we could be using Hannan or Klein on the first pair this season.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Since the day Suter left, Poile, Trotz, and Weber have anointed Josi as RS's replacement.

If this doesn't work, there's really not another option, which is why I'm harping on this. It's a very real possibility that we could be using Hannan or Klein on the first pair this season.

*shudder*

Let's hope it doesn't get to that. There's a good chance Josi doesn't play every game especially when you're playing 3 in 4 or even 4 in 5. So someone will have to step up. I'm honestly hoping it's Blum. I know he plays the left side, but I seem to remember him having a few shifts with Weber in 2010-11.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

I don't disagree with you. With the exception of Tootoo when has Trotz not benched young players for one reason or another or played checkers with where they play. Im really high on Josi and think hes going to be screwed if forced to develop on the 1st paring. It just does not make sense, this treatment makes him look like he is better than Weber and Suter at this point. He may well be in the long run better than both we do not know, chances are hes not. Can the guy stand the pressure thats going to be placed on him or will he show holes in his game like Blum and be downgraded by the staff. And is Ellis next? Who will be Trotz Whipping boy on D this year? In the past there has been Zids, Hammer, Klein, ect ect ect. Will it be Weber, Hannan, Gill, doubtful trotz tends to dismiss problems any veteran has. The good news we will know after the first road trip. In two weeks check back to this thread and see where it gos. If josi has problems he will be boiled in oil there will be those calling for his head or a trade to Philly both of which are brutal.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I think Josi can play the type of sound game that compliments Shea's abilities. He doesn't need to be Ryan Suter to turn that into a very good pairing.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Alright, cool guys. Thanks for the good responses.

I'll just step out now, and let you all continue to discuss Josi while I return to my "Sens Fan Lurking The Preds Boards" status.

Stay good.

StarvinArvyn33

Jun 18, 2010
Yesterday
I didnt draft him in fantasy this year to expect him to flop...

He will be paired with Shea Weber on our 1st line. Im sure he will perform well.

Nashvols

Jun 8, 2011
Nashville
Hi everyone.

Last year i use to be able to watch the games (here 4-6 am !) ... now, not any more.

How has he been looking like so far this year ?

I think he's been fine. We have all new D pairings this year, so there's a little bit of rust/hesitation with everybody. You can't build the type of chemistry Weber and Suter had overnight.

Nothing I've seen so far leads me to believe that Josi is not capable of playing the role of #2D. But he still needs time to develop. The biggest difference I see between Josi and Suter is that Suter has an awesome breakout pass. No need to skate it through the neutral zone...just tape to tape to a forward at the blue line. However, one thing I think Josi has over Suter is his slap shot.

In terms of replacing Suter, Josi hasn't been a liability so far, though I expect there will be some times where we see the sort of mistakes young players make. I was a little worried that he might look lost or nervous out there in a bigger role...but so far I think he's handled it well.

No complaints. Well, he hasn't scored yet, but neither has Weber.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I think he's been fine. We have all new D pairings this year, so there's a little bit of rust/hesitation with everybody. You can't build the type of chemistry Weber and Suter had overnight.

Nothing I've seen so far leads me to believe that Josi is not capable of playing the role of #2D. But he still needs time to develop. The biggest difference I see between Josi and Suter is that Suter has an awesome breakout pass. No need to skate it through the neutral zone...just tape to tape to a forward at the blue line. However, one thing I think Josi has over Suter is his slap shot.

In terms of replacing Suter, Josi hasn't been a liability so far, though I expect there will be some times where we see the sort of mistakes young players make. I was a little worried that he might look lost or nervous out there in a bigger role...but so far I think he's handled it well.

No complaints. Well, he hasn't scored yet, but neither has Weber.

thanks

darth5

No!
Mar 28, 2002
Smashville, TN
I wonder if smart hockey followers around the league are beginning to notice Roman Josi. He really has begun to shine I think. Ellis has also looked really smart. Are Preds fans the only ones to notice??

doug88

May 13, 2011
Geneva, Switzerland
He's been very solid on defense thus far, he's really involved on the PP, he hasn't scored yet though.. I expect him to be a good defenseman in the NHL but he has to avoid injuries (he already suffered a concussion while playing for bern).

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I really have faith in him !

i am disapointed that he didn't get his "snipe" back from the old times in Switzerland. When he use to score !!

Appart of that he is doing a good job and taking on minutes. On the path to replace Sutter.

But it seems that nobody notices him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad