Roll Call: Do you want to trade Letang?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
And for the record, I want Orpik to be the first to go, and have wanted him to go for the third season now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I think that if we were to trade Letang for Sid's winger, we'd be pining for a "dynamic #1 defenseman" to complement our steady two-way defense core shortly thereafter.

I also think we'd regret pulling the trigger before Bennett established himself as a quality option for Sid, which will happen in short order if he remains healthy, IMHO.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
If Fleury is our long term goalie, I think I'd rather have Martin. For how much Letang brings offensively, he also makes enough mistakes, via turnovers or bone-headed plays, that Fleury gets put in tough spots to make saves. If we're in it with Flower for the long haul, I want him to get rattled during the games as least as possible. Even if a Letang turnover doesn't turn into a goal, that's still one more save Fleury has to make/think about. I see both sides though, it would depend on the return really for me.

Yeah, there was a time when Martin played like that and made bonehead mistakes a lot also. We gave him a shot to get his game back.

I think we should have the same patience with Tanger. Tanger's upside is much higher than Martin and other than Pouliot we don't have anyone else in the system like him where as we have 3-4 guys similar to Martin in skill.

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
I think that if we were to trade Letang for Sid's winger, we'd be pining for a "dynamic #1 defenseman" to complement our steady two-way defense core shortly thereafter.

I also think we'd regret pulling the trigger before Bennett established himself as a quality option for Sid, which will happen in short order if he remains healthy, IMHO.

There is certainly the possibility of that, but I also don't think it's beyond the pale to assume that one of Maatta, Despres, or Pouliot could become a "dynamic number one defenseman," too.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

I think I'd rather have a whole corps of steady two-way defensemen like Maata, Despres, Dumo and possibly DP with Sammy, Borts, Rupp, Harrington complementing them than a dynamic #1.

I'd rather let the scoring come from the offense and let the D chip in occasionally than have someone like Letang force the staff to try and manufacture offense directly from him

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
There is certainly the possibility of that, but I also don't think it's beyond the pale to assume that one of Maatta, Despres, or Pouliot could become a "dynamic number one defenseman," too.

Maybe. Maybe not.

I think our pipeline is closer to producing a winger for Sid than it is to producing a replacement for Letang's dynamism.

I think I'd rather have a whole corps of dynamic two-way defensemen like Maata, Despres, Dumo and possibly DP with Sammy, Borts, Rupp, Harrington complementing them than a dynamic #1.

But it doesn't have to be either/or.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
That's not what you said in the PGT.

Well yeah, there's always an exception, that goes without saying. If a GM were to offer up a ridiculous deal, of course I would want Shero to take it. But realistically, we aren't going to get that. There aren't many wingers that I'd trade Letang for, and the ones that I'd like in return aren't going to be on the market.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5
But it doesn't have to be either/or.

I don't think I'm arguing either/or.

Wouldn't steady/solid two-way defensemen trump a dynamic #1? I'd rather have a guy on each pairing (Despres, Maatta, Dumo, Martin, even Nisky) who can play a two-way game and pair them with a solid steady, defensive minded guy (Sammy, Bortz, Rupp, Scuds) than a dynamic #1 guy who needs babysat most of the time.

I just think it's better served to go with the two-way guys because they offer the best of both worlds instead of flashes you get from a dynamic #1.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

It'd be nice for Sid to start to gel with his RW before a couple months prior to the playoffs. Beau's out til the end of January, which leaves a few weeks to figure out if he's the answer there this year.

I just don't think it's smart to rely on him in that role this year. Let Beau replace Juice next to Geno/Neal. And possibly Kunitz in the future.

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
To get quality, you need to give up quality. Trade him. I want an actual star winger to play with Sid so that his entire career isn't wasted playing with grinders. Letang will fetch one.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't think trading Letang is anywhere near the top of my list of things that should be done with this roster, but it's not something I wouldn't consider a reasonable option.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Maatta (and Despres) are a lot closer to being that 'dynamic #1 defenseman' than Beau is to being Sid's Neal.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I WANT him to play better. I don't think he will. He has time to change my mind but if not, then yes.

But, even if he does start playing better, if the right player is available, I'd trade him in a second. We need a forward of the quality he'd return more than we need a defensemen of his quality.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
To get quality, you need to give up quality. Trade him. I want an actual star winger to play with Sid so that his entire career isn't wasted playing with grinders. Letang will fetch one.

You know, it's interesting. There are several guys who could be that top pairing defenseman. You can see the options.

For Sid's wing, it's Bennett or bust.

BUT, we shouldn't trade Letang because one option at forward is better than several options on defense, or something like that.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I would deal Martin before Letang. I just feel we have multiple D-men that have similar skills to what Martin brings (Maatta, Despres, Dumoulin, etc).

When Letang was on his game last year he was a difference maker and one of the best Dmen in the NHL minus the PP. I'd rather give him a chance to get his game back like we did Martin and deal Martin since his skills are redundant with all of these guys.

Maatta hasn't shown he can play RD. Nor has Despres. So unless you're counting on Nisky, that wouldn't be a good idea this season.

Plus, if our postseason failures have shown anything, we need more guys with Martin's defensive game, not fewer.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
You know, it's interesting. There are several guys who could be that top pairing defenseman. You can see the options.

For Sid's wing, it's Bennett or bust.

BUT, we shouldn't trade Letang because one option at forward is better than several options on defense, or something like that.

Out of curiosity, what wingers do you think are going to be on the market that warrant us giving up Letang?

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Chalk up one on the lonely side for "no...good god no!" Letang is the back-end long-term core. I loved what I saw tonight, but nothing about this game told me we're better off with out a dynamic, puck-moving defenseman. Add in the fact that you've got said defender locked up for 8 years in an environment that could very likely see vastly increasing revenues, and an assortment of various free agent options down the pike - where assets don't have to be sacrificed - yeah I prefer to keep Letang.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Personally, I don't want a RW for Sid, I want a LW to push Kunitz to Malkin. One third wheel and one second wheel for everyone, and eventually Beau will be even more than that.

dueling mullets

Mar 28, 2013
Yeah, there was a time when Martin played like that and made bonehead mistakes a lot also. We gave him a shot to get his game back.

I think we should have the same patience with Tanger. Tanger's upside is much higher than Martin and other than Pouliot we don't have anyone else in the system like him where as we have 3-4 guys similar to Martin in skill.

Fair points, although I think Martin had a level of defensive play to return to. I hope the upside actually comes out for Letang, and his defensive game can be as good as some say it can. Personally, I don't think Letang's defensive struggles are anything new. I do have hope that the plan of bringing in Scuderi to fix that has a chance to happen and work.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
Chalk up one on the lonely side for "no...good god no!" Letang is the back-end long-term core. I loved what I saw tonight, but nothing about this game told me we're better off with out a dynamic, puck-moving defenseman. Add in the fact that you've got said defender locked up for 8 years in an environment that could very likely see vastly increasing revenues, and an assortment of various free agent options down the pike - where assets don't have to be sacrificed - yeah I prefer to keep Letang.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. But apparently there's going to be a barn sale on all-star wingers this year, so we better trade him while the deals are hot!

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Personally, I don't want a RW for Sid, I want a LW to push Kunitz to Malkin. One third wheel and one second wheel for everyone, and eventually Beau will be even more than that.

X - Crosby - Bennett
Kunitz - Malkin - Neal

Not bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad