Sportsnet: Rogers SportsNET new NHL National Broadcaster. Begins 2014-15 season athrough 2025

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
What else can Rogers buy, Canadian Tire, Tim Horton's ?

"It's a great day for hockey fans who are coffee drinkers with a chance to win all season radials"

Penalty Kill Icing*

I doubt this will happen.. but lets hope Rogers put Leafs games on CBC rather than Sportsnet on Saturday nights (remember that even CBC HNiC revenue will go to Rogers) so that Leafs fans across the country can get the signal on antenna.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I doubt this will happen.. but lets hope Rogers put Leafs games on CBC rather than Sportsnet on Saturday nights (remember that even CBC HNiC revenue will go to Rogers) so that Leafs fans across the country can get the signal on antenna.

Antenna based TV is going away regardless of all this stuff.

Better to have people prepared for the inevitable imo.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Antenna based TV is going away regardless of all this stuff.

Better to have people prepared for the inevitable imo.

No it isn't but the quality of its content may continue to decline.

It will be a mistake for Rogers to ignore the people who don't pay for television service. The NFL is the most watched sport in North America and it uses terrestrial broadcasting for EVERY team.

Anyways, the most inevitable thing is that cable is a dying product except for its sports programming. New consumers are used to immediate product not some swath of scheduled dreck spread across several indistinguishable cable channels.

stanleyorbust

Nov 29, 2009
I believe the "Hockey Night In Canada" name/ brand is a registered trade mark with the CBC. http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...nada_sports_bar_concept_was_on_the_table.html

That's why Rogers wanted to work with CBC on this deal, they don't want to be seen as destroying something "Canadian" or traditional.

I wonder if the 4 year deal gets extended, or whether the deal also includes them purchasing the NHIC brand from CBC and this is a 4 year plan to wean us off CBC onto an improved sportsnet?

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

It will be a mistake for Rogers to ignore the people who don't pay for television service. The NFL is the most watched sport in North America and it uses terrestrial broadcasting for EVERY team.

Anyways, the most inevitable thing is that cable is a dying product except for its sports programming. New consumers are used to immediate product not some swath of scheduled dreck spread across several indistinguishable cable channels.

Of course it will continue to decline, it's a free service. Only a matter of time before it's gone completely. It's already a shell of what it was only a few years ago in most markets with stations turning off OTA transmitters.

I would argue that live pro sports deals like this make cable as safe as ever.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I believe the "Hockey Night In Canada" name/ brand is a registered trade mark with the CBC. http://www.thestar.com/sports/hocke...nada_sports_bar_concept_was_on_the_table.html

That's why Rogers wanted to work with CBC on this deal, they don't want to be seen as destroying something "Canadian" or traditional.

I wonder if the 4 year deal gets extended, or whether the deal also includes them purchasing the NHIC brand from CBC and this is a 4 year plan to wean us off CBC onto an improved sportsnet?

Interesting since mulitple articles said yesterday that Rogers is sub leasing HNIC to CBC meaning the the NHL owned HNIC and included it with the rest of the national exclusive rights to Rogers.

Another point is that without the NHL rights HNIC as a name is worth very little as they have no bargaining power with no games under contract.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto

Rogers spent that money so that people who are not currently receiving service feel compelled to.

There is no money anymore in serial shows etc, they can all be accessed via streams like Netflix. Live television, in particular sports is the new must have for broadcasters. Rogers locked up this deal so they can leverage everyone who is on Bell or just OTA to get their stupid cable TV services

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
So can CBC get the Hockey Night in Canada song back?

TSN isnt selling it. They still have regional NHL games, just not national games. The Leafs play 26 games on TSN starting in 2015-16. They own almost all the regional coverage for the Jets. They also own the rights to some Habs games.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Interesting since mulitple articles said yesterday that Rogers is sub leasing HNIC to CBC meaning the the NHL owned HNIC and included it with the rest of the national exclusive rights to Rogers.

Another point is that without the NHL rights HNIC as a name is worth very little as they have no bargaining power with no games under contract.

I'd think tbe name HNIC is pretty valuable, it can be used without the NHL and used for. OHL or AHL games. It could also serve as a hockey news program similar to sports center.

TheBigThree

Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Glad cbc is still getting on the action. I hate healy and those other twats but its great recieving CBC OTA during the playoffs and saturdays for free

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Glad cbc is still getting on the action. I hate healy and those other twats but its great recieving CBC OTA during the playoffs and saturdays for free

Not to mention the superior quality picture, I have cable but still watch HNIC OTA

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Very depressing. I've yet to see Rogers touch anything and not have it completely suck under their guidance. Now they have their hands on my team and my sport.

Ugh.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Of course it will continue to decline, it's a free service. Only a matter of time before it's gone completely. It's already a shell of what it was only a few years ago in most markets with stations turning off OTA transmitters.

I would argue that live pro sports deals like this make cable as safe as ever.

Where is this you're talking about? In major markets, OTA transmitters aren't being turned off, they are being upgraded to state of the art digital broadcasting. The CRTC are mandating that these stations are broadcast, they aren't going anywhere soon.

Cable is dying because sports are their only property in demand. Cable subscribers who don't care about sports, at least 50%, are growing tired of subsidizing cable's most expensive product in sports programming. Once these people shed cable for other delivery methods, the price is going through the roof for the sports services.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
So TSN won't be showing any hockey at all???

For NHL hockey, just regional broadcasts of the Leafs and Jets on weeknights other than Wednesdays are guaranteed past this season and maybe the Habs too if they are able to retain those rights.

They have the WJHC for the next few years too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad