Tribute Rod Gilbert passes; aged 80 years old

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Sad day. Meet him a few times and couldn’t have been any nicer each time. Got to do a dinner with him with only about 8 other season ticket holders. He told stories all night about his early playing days. Then he wanted all of us to tell him how we became ranger fans. Just a true gentleman.
I am truly sad about this. The above coukdnt have explained him any better. What star actually would ask how others felt or even cared about how they became a Rangers fan? Maybe Nicky? Not to belittle others, but surely he was a Giant amongst most others.
I met him twice as well, totally by "chance". 1st time in the midst of Manhattan 5 hours before game time. Only had a pack of Marlboro for him to sign, in which I had NO PEN! He whipped out a blue sharpie, and couldn't be more obliging to my starstruck 16 year old face!
2nd time was at the ill fated TB playoff game #2 in Tampa. Somehow was able to buy tickets from a scalper, got crazy ass great seats (in a suite section) where he obviously had one. Told him I had met him once before, but certainly didn't expect him to remember me. Haha, he didn't. Lol. He was like, "we really need to win this game". A true Ranger, to the end. Just like ALL of us. God rest your soul, Rod! XOXO.

Reactions: Section311

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
He was my parents' favorite player. I met him once at a book signing for one of John Halligan's Rangers history books at a Barnes & Noble in Manhattan and Gilbert was tagging along. My dad knew John Halligan from growing up in Bergenfield and John put a personal note in the book, which was for my dad. Rod also asked me how my folks became Ranger fans and was gracious

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
I’m happy they actually listened to the fans. When he passed everyone was replying that they better do something for him the whole season

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I’m happy they actually listened to the fans. When he passed everyone was replying that they better do something for him the whole season

I dont believe 'listening to the fans' had any role in this

Yes online fans need for instant gratification led to dozens of whinging posts, because the tributes weren't announced in instant Internet time, but these tributes would have come anyway. Long established practice in pro sports

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00