Tribute Rod Gilbert passes; aged 80 years old

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Very sad news. Rod was before my time but THE face of the franchise even into his retirement. I loved seeing him at the Garden, and I can't think of a single fan story that wasn't glowing in praise and admiration. The guy loved NY, he loved the Rangers, and his energy was palpable. He will be sorely missed.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
During the 1966-67 season, the New York Rangers were on the rise to respectability, led by the gentleman we see below
7016de2dd1373527df28ff7c7e71e4c8--sports-illustrated-covers-new-york-rangers.jpg
. Rod Gilbert was the reason I became a Rangers fan.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Really hoping they have his #7 behind the crease for the the entire season, with an arm patch as well.

There was no one prouder to be a Ranger than Rod. Even after the team dumped him in 77'

“The management of the New York Rangers advised me today that it has decided to retire me now. I strongly disagree with this decision. I believe that I am in top playing condition and am playing well. In the last four games I scored five points. I believe I can contribute “to the team on the ice not only this season but for seasons to come.

“Nevertheless I must accept my employer's decision and recognize that after 16 years I shall never again wear the New York Ranger uniform. L am considering carefully the executive position offered to me by Madison Square Garden as well as the other options open to me. My decision will be made shortly. New York and the Ranger fans have been great to me. I hope that in the future I will be able to contribute to them.”

Rod Gilbert Is Released By Rangers (Published 1977)

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
f*** me is this sad.

the comments that he was incredible don't do him justice. he was better than that. Rod remembered people. He treated everyone with respect. Ate and Breathed Ranger blue. This is an absolute f***ing tragedy.

They need to do something top notch for him. I couldn't think of a better Ranger ambassador if I tried.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Really hoping they have his #7 behind the crease for the the entire season, with an arm patch as well.

There was no one prouder to be a Ranger than Rod. Even after the team dumped him in 77'

Rod Gilbert Is Released By Rangers (Published 1977)
I remember the 1977-78 season, and the treatment of Rod Gilbert, like it was yesterday. Never forgave John Ferguson. Gilbert was given the choice of retirement or a trade (to Ted Lindsay's Wings), and Rod decided he did not want to don another jersey. That was a tough period to be a Rangers fan.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Just to add to all the accolades...

He was one of my sports heroes growing up.....to see the GAG line flying out there made quite an impression on all of us. He was the first player I ever wrote a fan letter to....and I got back a signed picture of him in return. He would always wave to us when going in and out of the garden...seems like a minor thing, but he was genuinely happy to see us.

I met him a few times at various Ranger events....and he was the same person every time....warm and genuinely happy to see all of us. The first time I met him, a friend and me went to Wollman Rink for an event. We got there a bit early and was just looking around.....and we got tapped on the shoulder...we turn around to see Rod Gilbert!! We didnt have to seek him out....he came over to us! He was gracious with his time....and we chatted about the game in 1968 when he set a record of having 16 shots on goal himself against Montreal (at the Forum no less!! - he had 4 goals in that game!). He said he always got motivated to play well in his home town/province.

God bless you Rod.....you will always be a hero to the Rangers universe.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Exactly. I think they will.

Did they do a helmet decal for Steven McDonald?

They did helmet decals for McDonald, Bathgate, and Howell. At the minimum, they'd do a decal for the season. If anyone deserves a patch on the jersey, it's him.

Gilbert played way before my time but he's obviously one of the best in Rangers history and from interacting with him at games and seeing what he's done for the franchise in his post playing career, he's an even better person. Seeing the stories and outpouring of love from so many people even beyond the Rangers and hockey has been so nice to see for what was an amazing person.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Sat up in the blues and had the good fortune to see the GAG line/Park during the early 70’s.

What a great player and superb representative of Ranger hockey.

Shame that the passing of this great can only generate 4 pages.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
He always seemed happy.....is there any modern day player who compares to Rod?

The only one that comes to mind is Hank. Not only was he the face of the franchise but was adopted by NYC as one of their own. Charities, fan interaction, class, all similar. But on a different level all together really.

Historically he will go down as the greatest Ranger ever imho, for his full body of work both on and off the ice representing the club.

It is hard to compare Rod to any current or ex Ranger. The stories he would tell, the patience he would have with fans, the pride he took in being a Ranger - all coming from the golden age of hockey.

After watching his bio I think I understand him a little more as a person now, considering he felt he was on borrowed time after almost not making it after surgery.

The lust for life he had is hard to put into words.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

D'aww the look on that fan's face was amazing.

I never got to see him play since I'm too young, but I always saw his name in the rafters of MSG every time I visited. And the footage of him at games in the crowd always shows him as this happy looking guy who has a very friendly demeaner.

Sometimes, if I'm in MSG with my Dad early enough before warmups, my Dad and I will go through all the names hanging in the rafters and talk about our favorite memories with each player. He had to take over regarding anything prior to Richter, but had no shortage of nice things to say about Gilbert.

His number will always be up there. May he RIP.

Brief Candle

Hank's Forehead Sweat
Jan 30, 2010
New Jersey
rocklandmusic.com
So when I was a kid, we went to tons of rangers functions for fans. Open practices, alumni games, alumni softball games, etc.

I cannot stress just how sweet a person Mr. Gilbert was. I ran into him one day about 15 years ago and the man remember my name, as well as my parents and siblings. We were just random people at these things. In the end, I have nothing but the fondest of memories of him.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Just to add to all the accolades...

He was one of my sports heroes growing up.....to see the GAG line flying out there made quite an impression on all of us. He was the first player I ever wrote a fan letter to....and I got back a signed picture of him in return. He would always wave to us when going in and out of the garden...seems like a minor thing, but he was genuinely happy to see us.

I met him a few times at various Ranger events....and he was the same person every time....warm and genuinely happy to see all of us. The first time I met him, a friend and me went to Wollman Rink for an event. We got there a bit early and was just looking around.....and we got tapped on the shoulder...we turn around to see Rod Gilbert!! We didnt have to seek him out....he came over to us! He was gracious with his time....and we chatted about the game in 1968 when he set a record of having 16 shots on goal himself against Montreal (at the Forum no less!! - he had 4 goals in that game!). He said he always got motivated to play well in his home town/province.

God bless you Rod.....you will always be a hero to the Rangers universe.

Great story, thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: Mandar and egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was hoping to see more of an outpouring in this thread. It's a shame a lot of the younger fans here didn't get to watch Rod play or meet him in person.

The impact he had on the Rangers and the game cannot be understated. He was a larger than life personality but somehow very down to earth at the same time.
If I’m any indicator, I felt so bad I didn’t even want to comment. I suspect I’m not the only one who felt that way. And I’m speaking of him post-playing-career. I am a little too young to have seen him play but he was such an important and positive presence after he stopped playing. Truly a giant heart and great man.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
What a rough weekend. Met Gilbert once at a bigger event and he was great. Always positive about the team and loved being an alumni and being there for the current players. When he talked, you stopped and listened to him. Loved when they had him on TV during intermissions. You got the real assessment, but the positivity behind it. The franchise will miss having him around.

A lifetime Ranger. One retired and one passed away. A weekend to remember and celebrate two guys that carried the weight of a franchise for their entire career. Was thinking as others about the Lundqvist banner raising and having the GAG line come out together once again. It won't be the same. Opening night is going to be something this year.

I hope whatever they plan to do is bigger than what we could imagine. It wasn't just 16 years as a player, it is everything after as well.
Yes. Better than i said it. He is a hall of fame human without even stepping onto the ice. And on the ice he was a legendary player.

Reactions: Peltz

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I was hoping to see more of an outpouring in this thread. It's a shame a lot of the younger fans here didn't get to watch Rod play or meet him in person.

The impact he had on the Rangers and the game cannot be understated. He was a larger than life personality but somehow very down to earth at the same time.
I think it comes down to demographics of the common age person on a web forum - usually it's people in their 30s and late 20s. I wouldn't use it to measure the feeling of loss that the Rangers community as a whole has felt over the past week.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think it comes down to demographics of the common age person on a web forum - usually it's people in their 30s and late 20s. I wouldn't use it to measure the feeling of loss that the Rangers community as a whole has felt over the past week.

Oh I totally get it, I'm 42 and I never saw him play live.

Unfortunately since he's from another era, I just don't think a lot the younger fans you speak of understand his importance and impact he's had on this franchise, both on and off the ice.

He really is the greatest Ranger of all time and a 4 page thread doesn't do him justice. Not that HF is the measuring stick of a player/alumni, by any means - It's just a shame how time works. I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of other original six alumni who've passed on.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
Oh I totally get it, I'm 42 and I never saw him play live.

Unfortunately since he's from another era, I just don't think a lot the younger fans you speak of understand his importance and impact he's had on this franchise, both on and off the ice.

He really is the greatest Ranger of all time and a 4 page thread doesn't do him justice. Not that HF is the measuring stick of a player/alumni, by any means - It's just a shame how time works. I'm sure the same could be said for a lot of other original six alumni who've passed on.

Time works that way for most people. Ask young people today about a certain classic movie (or actor) or band (or musician) and they are likely to stare at you blankly. Unless you were there to see it, or it had impactful meaning in your life, most people aren't going to be nostalgic about it. Rod's playing career ended in '78. Anyone under 50 probably has no recollection of him playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad