Tribute Rod Gilbert passes; aged 80 years old

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Met him several times, but the most memorable was moments after Matteau scored the GWG vs NJ in Game 7. He was just as excited as any player or fan at MSG. He had a smile beaming ear to ear.

I don't think it can be overstated what a gentleman this man was & how generous he was with his time for worthy causes around the city. A huge loss for hockey & for New York. RIP Mr. Ranger.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
I met Rod in 2007 when I was 15. He was funny, kind, and a complete class act. Always loved seeing him at events and on broadcasts. RIP Rod. You're one of the greatest

Reactions: egelband

Steamer

Jul 12, 2009
In the nosebleeds
I predate expansion as a hockey fan so for me Rod Gilbert will always be Mr. New York Rangers. When I was a kid the Rangers stunk. Then along came along Gilbert and others and the Rangers were finally in my late childhood and early teens a good team again finally. It is hard to think of the New York Rangers without Rod Gilbert. My condolences to his family and all New York Ranger Fans and the city of New York.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Sad day. Meet him a few times and couldn’t have been any nicer each time. Got to do a dinner with him with only about 8 other season ticket holders. He told stories all night about his early playing days. Then he wanted all of us to tell him how we became ranger fans. Just a true gentleman.

true dat^

jeff spicoli

Nov 27, 2005
Sad news. I met him a few times when the Play by Play in MSG was still around. Always a smile on his face and seemed genuinely happy to shake any Rangers fan's hand. He'll be missed.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I was hoping to see more of an outpouring in this thread. It's a shame a lot of the younger fans here didn't get to watch Rod play or meet him in person.

The impact he had on the Rangers and the game cannot be understated. He was a larger than life personality but somehow very down to earth at the same time.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
What a rough weekend. Met Gilbert once at a bigger event and he was great. Always positive about the team and loved being an alumni and being there for the current players. When he talked, you stopped and listened to him. Loved when they had him on TV during intermissions. You got the real assessment, but the positivity behind it. The franchise will miss having him around.

A lifetime Ranger. One retired and one passed away. A weekend to remember and celebrate two guys that carried the weight of a franchise for their entire career. Was thinking as others about the Lundqvist banner raising and having the GAG line come out together once again. It won't be the same. Opening night is going to be something this year.

I hope whatever they plan to do is bigger than what we could imagine. It wasn't just 16 years as a player, it is everything after as well.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Great, great read/thread so far, appropriate for the man, I can unfortunately only assume.

Gilbert is way before my time, totally outside of my limited experience as a Rangers fan abroad. Which is forever embodied in my ignorance, of ordering my first NHL jersey with my name on it, the retired Gilbert #7 and a "C" on top of that. I didn't know about retired numbers back then, found out later to my shame.

The posts here speak volumes as to what he must have meant to everyone, the city, the organization.

RIP Monsieur Ranger

Bruner4329

Apr 24, 2016
There have been some great players who put on the Ranger's uniform. Too many to name. But the reality is Rod Gilbert was the "Mickey Mantle" of the New York Rangers and rightfully so. Great player, great personality and most of all tremendous person. For those of us growing up in the late 60s and early 70s him along with Ratelle, Park and Eddie were our idols. Those teams broke our heart but it was so much fun to root for them and guys like Gilbert. Kind of ironic they both wore number 7 and similar to when the Mick passed a way I feel like a part of my childhood left was well.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
Got my Lindros jersey signed by him after a game back in the day. Was showing off his cup ring from 94 they must have given him one. Really nice guy very down to earth for being a living legend. RIP Monsieur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad