Music: Rock & Rock Hall of Fame 2023 Nominations

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Can't believe this crap.

But hey, if inducting Kate Bush makes some silly metalheads get whiny, yeah, I'm all for it.
Not understanding and agreeing with her induction is hardly whining. You're the one who has complained every time that someone has questioned it.

Instead of acting indignant, why don't you explain to those of us who aren't very familiar with her why she's a worthy induction, such as what she did better than anyone else and who she was a major influence on?

Last edited:
Reactions: DaaaaB's

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Instead of acting indignant, why don't you explain to those of us who aren't very familiar with her why she's a worthy induction, such as what she did better than anyone else and who she was a major influence on?
Why don't you or someone else first come up with a good argument why she shouldn't be in or isn't deserving, and we'll continue from there. Haven't seen even single one yet.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Oh BTW, I only now discovered that Kate Bush had already been nominated for the R&R HoF in 2018, 2021 and 2022, which furthermore makes the "only because of Stranger Things" claim simply wrong. Even if the series was the one that finally tipped the scales, so to speak, so friggin' what? She was obviously considered worthy by many well before that.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I wasn't even familiar with her until last Summer (and still am not very), despite living through the 80s and considering it my favorite decade of music.

Her discography page at Wikipedia (link) suggests a likely reason: she didn't have much success here in the US. Her only Billboard top-40 hit was the song in question, at #30. The next highest was #72, then #88 and that's it for charted singles. She was much more successful in Europe, especially in her native UK.
I've literally never heard her name mentioned outside this thread. She's completely irrelevant in North America.
Can't believe this crap.

But hey, if inducting Kate Bush makes some silly metalheads get whiny, yeah, I'm all for it.
I don't think you should be calling other people whiny after a post like this. And yeah, I'm sure it's just metalheads who don't like her being inducted lol.

Why don't you or someone else first come up with a good argument why she shouldn't be in or isn't deserving, and we'll continue from there. Haven't seen even single one yet.
1. Her music sucks
2. She's not Rock'n'roll
3. The vast majority of people have never heard of her

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
1. Her music sucks
2. She's not Rock'n'roll
3. The vast majority of people have never heard of her.
Exactly. All the proof one needs; (crappy*) personal taste (1), something that applies to numerous other inductees (2), plus ignorance/North American bias/arrogance (3) are not good arguments. Sorry you don't see that.

* Subjective of course!😉

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
1. Her music sucks
2. She's not Rock'n'roll
3. The vast majority of people have never heard of her
her music certainly doesn't suck and clearly the rock hall doesn't care about that considering they induct rappers and country singers, but like i said before, it's pretty obvious she only got in because of stranger things. sure she had been nominated before, but she was never going to get in before running up that hill went viral

if induction was based on talent and influence alone, she would've gotten in decades ago. but success is a major factor as well and she never had any outside of the UK

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Kate Bush is more appropriate for this institution than dozens of acts already inducted. For my money she's the single greatest recording artist in "pop music" history and if Stranger Things helps people discover her that's only good.

And I usually hate saying it in this way but anyone who thinks her music sucks has bad taste, straight up.

Reactions: reckoning

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
it's pretty obvious she only got in because of stranger things. sure she had been nominated before, but she was never going to get in before running up that hill went viral

if induction was based on talent and influence alone, she would've gotten in decades ago. but success is a major factor as well and she never had any outside of the UK

You must have some inside information to know this for sure, right? Right? No?

Todd Rundgren got in 2022, and he had been eligible since 1995, I believe (Kate Bush 'only' since 2003?); I don't think Rundgren even got any boost from any TV series or something similar, and he's not a big name anywhere. And what about acts like the Young Rascals, the Zombies, the Go-Go's...? All of them not only less influental but also less famous globally than Kate Bush. She would have gotten in sooner or later.

And yes, Kate Bush has had success outside the UK, like in other European countries, Australia etc. Living in Finland, I became familiar with her in the early-/mid-1980s (via Finnish radio and TV, Sky Channel, MTV Europe...).

Last edited:

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
Kate Bush is more appropriate for this institution than dozens of acts already inducted. For my money she's the single greatest recording artist in "pop music" history and if Stranger Things helps people discover her that's only good.

And I usually hate saying it in this way but anyone who thinks her music sucks has bad taste, straight up.
Anyone who likes Kate Bush's music has flat out awful taste in music, period. Pop music is complete crap. She's much closer to the Backstreet Boys than she is The Beatles or Rolling Stones.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Anyone who likes Kate Bush's music has flat out awful taste in music, period. Pop music is complete crap. She's much closer to the Backstreet Boys than she is The Beatles or Rolling Stones.
Have you ever even listened to Kate Bush?

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
How does one say pop music is crap then immediately praise The Beatles lol
The Beatles are a bit poppy for a Rock'n'roll band but they're not comparable to 80s/90s/2000s pop music. I'm not even much of a Beatles fan but they're world's better than Kate Bush.

Have you ever even listened to Kate Bush?
Obviously, I have. Her voice is like nails on a chalk board. Have you ever actually listened to good music?

Reactions: Behn Wilson

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
"And yes, Kate Bush has had success outside the UK, like in other European countries, Australia etc. Living in Finland, I became familiar with her in the early-/mid-1980s (via Finnish radio and TV, Sky Channel, MTV Europe...)."

the amount of success that kate bush experienced pales big time in comparison to iron maiden's. let us all metalheads know the moment she'll headline a show in wembley or one in rio de janeiro where the audience amount numbered at least 100,000.

the reality is simple and something metalheads have to accept- the rock hall heads don't give a shit about bands like maiden. maiden will get in eventually, as the hall heads will let them in begrudgingly like they did with judas priest. maybe within the next 2 years?

what wouldn't surprise is should maiden ever get inducted that will most likely be the last metal band that ever gets in.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
"And yes, Kate Bush has had success outside the UK, like in other European countries, Australia etc. Living in Finland, I became familiar with her in the early-/mid-1980s (via Finnish radio and TV, Sky Channel, MTV Europe...)."

the amount of success that kate bush experienced pales big time in comparison to iron maiden's. let us all metalheads know the moment she'll headline a show in wembley or one in rio de janeiro where the audience amount numbered at least 100,000.

the reality is simple and something metalheads have to accept- the rock hall heads don't give a shit about bands like maiden. maiden will get in eventually, as the hall heads will let them in begrudgingly like they did with judas priest. maybe within the next 2 years?

what wouldn't surprise is should maiden ever get inducted that will most likely be the last metal band that ever gets in.
Amazing that 5 of the6 top vote getters from fans did not get in and ones at the dead bottom of the poll did. Why even do the poll in the first place if it does not factor in significantly.

Not having Priest and Maiden in is a joke. There picks were so soft last year, they threw a bone to fans giving Priest the musical excellence award which was bogus, they should have just been inducted.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
yeah, no idea how iron maiden isn't in. same with judas priest

not sure why we even care about the rock hall to begin with, considering what a joke it is
It's just a tourist trap. So are most Hall of Fames, to be honest (the National Baseball Hall of Fame, which is basically the originator of the whole concept - even if it was inspired by a few other things - was exactly that, a tourist trap for a small town in rural New York).

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
yeah, no idea how iron maiden isn't in. same with judas priest

not sure why we even care about the rock hall to begin with, considering what a joke it is
it's fun to have a debate about the choices the hall heads make. if the hall wasn't around anymore it wouldn't have any impact on our lives. at least it shouldn't anyway.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
The amount of success that kate bush experienced pales big time in comparison to iron maiden's. let us all metalheads know the moment she'll headline a show in wembley or one in rio de janeiro where the audience amount numbered at least 100,000.

No need for sermons about Maiden's world-wide popularity; I just answered to a post that claimed that Kate Bush hasn't had any success outside the UK. Context man, context.

No one is saying that Iron Maiden shouldn't be in; of course they should. They were my favourite band for many years in the 1980s, BTW.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
You must have some inside information to know this for sure, right? Right? No?

Todd Rundgren got in 2022, and he had been eligible since 1995, I believe (Kate Bush 'only' since 2003?); I don't think Rundgren even got any boost from any TV series or something similar, and he's not a big name anywhere. And what about acts like the Young Rascals, the Zombies, the Go-Go's...? All of them not only less influental but also less famous globally than Kate Bush. She would have gotten in sooner or later.

And yes, Kate Bush has had success outside the UK, like in other European countries, Australia etc. Living in Finland, I became familiar with her in the early-/mid-1980s (via Finnish radio and TV, Sky Channel, MTV Europe...).
Our apartment building got cable tv, including Sky Channel, december 1986 and you could not escape seeing "Cloudbusting" music video on that channel. It was played often between serial tv shows they aired.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
No need for sermons about Maiden's world-wide popularity; I just answered to a post that claimed that Kate Bush hasn't had any success outside the UK. Context man, context.

No one is saying that Iron Maiden shouldn't be in; of course they should. They were my favourite band for many years in the 1980s, BTW.
she's in the niche category. a category i refer to music enjoyed and appreciated by musicians as well as by a few regular folks. pat benatar liked one of songs so much enough to even do a a cover and include it on one of her earlier albums.

i see you're from finland. just curious what's your opinion on nightwish? to me they're the coolest band i've heard in a really really long time.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
i see you're from finland. just curious what's your opinion on nightwish? to me they're the coolest band i've heard in a really really long time.

Tuomas Holopainen is an extremely talented and prolific composer, but I have never cared too much for them. It's their overall sound that doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

The most recent bands that I've really liked that could be called metal are Mastodon and System of a Down (the latter also remind me of Dead Kennedys, who are among my all-time favorites), and they're not very recent either, lol.

SepticFish

Jul 14, 2005
Some people like Kate Bush. Some people like metal. How about a little of both. Here's Novembre covering Cloudbusting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad