Music: Rock & Rock Hall of Fame 2023 Nominations

Elvis P

Pretzel Logic
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
"The following artists are nominated for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame’s Class of 2023: Art rock auteur Kate Bush; rootsy hitmaker Sheryl Crow; hip-hop iconoclast Missy Elliott; metal legends Iron Maiden; post-punk-turned-dance-rock pioneers Joy Division/New Order; eccentric pop icon Cyndi Lauper; pop titan George Michael; country GOAT Willie Nelson; rap-metal firebrands Rage Against the Machine; grunge trailblazers Soundgarden; soul vocal pros The Spinners; alt hip-hop progenitors A Tribe Called Quest; garage blues revivalists The White Stripes; and caustic singer-songwriter Warren Zevon". The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Reveals 2023 Nominees

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2023 Nominees:

A Tribe Called Quest
Cyndi Lauper
George Michael
Iron Maiden
Joy Division/New Order
Kate Bush
Missy Elliott
Rage Against the Machine
Sheryl Crow
Soundgarden
The Spinners
Warren Zevon
The White Stripes
Willie Nelson

Kate Bush and Iron Maiden are the only 2 that knock my socks off

MIchael will more than likely get it

for me this is a blasé list.

Interesting that they Put Joy DIvision and New Order as one nominations--for me they are two different bands. JD was Ian Curtis brainchild

Reactions: Behn Wilson

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
If I had to pick 5 it be be:

Iron Maiden (looks like Judas Priest off ballot after getting award for a song or something like tha)
Soundgarden
Willie Nelson - he is cool as can be, put him in while he is still with us

cant come up with others but since picking 5 will add, indifferent between these 2 of these 3
Spinners
Cyndi Lauper
Warren Zevon

Agree with OP, outside of Iron Maiden who should have ben in years ago it is a blaise list

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I'm feeling more generous than in usual years.

Kate Bush - NO - After a few prior failed attempts to get her in, the committee is now hoping to build on her bit of Stranger Things member berries fame to see if that pushes her over the top. Nope. Still not enough.

Sheryl Crow - NO - A one album wonder who had a couple of big hits off of one album. I don't have anything negative to say about her, but she's not big enough to get it.

Missy Elliott - YES - She had a pretty long run of putting out albums/singles of note and also being asked to join on as a featured artist on a bunch of songs.

Iron Maiden - YES - Need more metal. If they're adding rap, country, and pop, let's also start adding metal. And their album sales numbers are insane.

Joy Division/New Order - YES - They don't have the sales others on the list do, but they are extremely high up on the influence thing. Their songs have been covered countless times. Ok, you probably can count how many times, but I'm not going to.

Cyndi Lauper - NO - She certainly had some hits, but I'm saying no. I think her biggest talent is managing to sing as well as she does while fighting through the handicap of that New York accent.

George Michael - YES - When you combine Wham! with his solo work, this dude was a massive hit machine.

Willie Nelson - NO - Someone sent his application to the wrong hall of fame.

Rage Against the Machine - YES - No real debate here. Hit the trifecta of being innovative, super famous, and influential.

Soundgarden NO - Of the big four grunge bands, Soundgarden lasted the third longest with Nirvana going out with a bang in 1994 and Alice in Chains retiring to do heroin in 96, but Soundgarden's sales and influence both come in last.

The Spinners - NO - If you're a band who has been eligible for admission to the hall of fame since the very day it first opened and you're still not in, you should be prohibited from consideration because you're clearly a complete afterthought.

A Tribe Called Quest - YES - They did Scenario.

The White Stripes - NO - Certainly solid members in the hall of very good. The funniest note about them is how the guitar player from the Black Keys has apparently modeled his entire life around trying to be Jack White's shadow, and it drives Jack White crazy.

Warren Zevon - NO - Dude had no hit songs and sold no records. His most popular song is best known for sounding like a Lynyrd Skynyrd song.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Here is my George Michael story-- he left a mark on on one of my assistants in London.

She was working two jobs, going to school and is a single mother. One of her jobs was as a waitress in a cafe near where Michael lived. She did not know it but he was one of her regulars. One day at work where she worked as a waitress, she left her lap top behind the counter and served someone. She came back and someone nicked her laptop. About a week later she came to work at the cafe and the owners said one of her regulars has dropped off a box for her. Card said "thanks for the great services and I hope this helps with your studies" signed George. In the box was a top of the line laptop for the day fully loaded. She did not realize she had been serving George Michael for 2 years. Michael did a lot of things like that but it never made it into the media
They have done something similar before with the Faces/Small Faces.
I did not realize that Rod Steward and Woods made it in as the Faces

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2023 Nominees:

A Tribe Called Quest
Cyndi Lauper
George Michael
Iron Maiden
Joy Division/New Order
Kate Bush
Missy Elliott
Rage Against the Machine
Sheryl Crow
Soundgarden
The Spinners
Warren Zevon
The White Stripes
Willie Nelson

Kate Bush and Iron Maiden are the only 2 that knock my socks off

MIchael will more than likely get it

for me this is a blasé list.

Interesting that they Put Joy DIvision and New Order as one nominations--for me they are two different bands. JD was Ian Curtis brainchild

Willie Nelson is a lock.

Sherly Crow close to one.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I did not realize that Rod Steward and Woods made it in as the Faces
It's a bit of a mess. Sometimes they induct a band but leave out some members of the band. Other times, they'll induct a band and then later separately induct one member who had their own strong solo career.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's a bit of a mess. Sometimes they induct a band but leave out some members of the band. Other times, they'll induct a band and then later separately induct one member who had their own strong solo career.
a few things irked me

Moody Blues being forced to take in Danny Lane who played on the first album. Originally his name was not in the list but guys like Paul Macartny and bruce sprinsteen got involved and the blues agree. It reportedly got them the additional votes they needed.

ACDC and Mark Evans. Mark Evans was the original bassist when the band formed down under and played on their first few international albums. High Voltage, Dirty Deeds and Let there be Rock. He got sacked in early 78 for being too nice of a guy. When acdc got announced as going in--he was sent an invite letter welcoming him to the Hall of fame. About a month later, he got a letter from the band saying he was not to be inducted and would not be allowed into the induction ceremony, He sued the band and won for short payments of about 5 mill bucks give or take. He was invited to MY funeral--so they did make up a little bit.

Rod Stewart also made it in as a solo artist and Woods as a Rolling Stone. Hard to remember that Rod Stewart had a like 4-5 album run that would rank up there with anyone's.
I am old enough to remember the 70's and how he progress. Every Picture is still one of my favourite albums

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Joy Division/New Order should be in there. Don't give a tinker's damn about the rest.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If I had to pick 5 it be be:

Iron Maiden (looks like Judas Priest off ballot after getting award for a song or something like tha)
Soundgarden
Willie Nelson - he is cool as can be, put him in while he is still with us

cant come up with others but since picking 5 will add, indifferent between these 2 of these 3
Spinners
Cyndi Lauper
Warren Zevon

Agree with OP, outside of Iron Maiden who should have ben in years ago it is a blaise list
I thought they were there already since Rob Halford performed at last year's induction ceremony?

Joy Division/New Order should be in there. Don't give a tinker's damn about the rest.
How dare you dismiss Iron Maiden? :shakehead

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I thought they were there already since Rob Halford performed at last year's induction ceremony?
The Hall of Fame knew they were going to get bashed for ignoring hard rock & metal, especially when they inducted Dolly Parton. So when Priest did not make it in last year they gave them an induction in the musical excellence category. They should have just inducted them in the main HOF category. They got short changed IMO.

Reactions: DaaaaB's

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Hall of Fame knew they were going to get bashed for ignoring metal, especially when they inducted Dolly Parton. So when Priest did not make it in last year they gave them an induction in the musical excellence category. They should have just inducted them in the main HOF category. They got short changed IMO.
I saw a clip of Halford singing with Dolly on stage, he seemed to be having a blast. :laugh:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I saw a clip of Halford singing with Dolly on stage, he seemed to be having a blast. :laugh:
Dolly is as classy they come, I bet they had a blast. She asked to be taken off the ballot and said there were much more deserving rock bands than her. Not her fault, it is the HOFs fault for nominating her and putting her in.

Zero malice on my part towards Dolly.,

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Dolly is as classy they come, I bet they had a blast. She asked to be taken off the ballot and said there were much more deserving rock bands than her. Not her fault, it is the HOFs fault for nominating her and putting her in.

Zero malice on my part towards Dolly.,
I wonder how long before they change their name to Music Hall Of Fame? It really IS that in essence already and should be that. Is there some contract to use the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame" name or something?

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
I wonder how long before they change their name to Music Hall Of Fame? It really IS that in essence already and should be that. Is there some contract to use the "Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame" name or something?
It really should be called the Jan Wenner / Rolling Stone Magazine Hall of Fame because that is pretty much what it is.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad