Music: Rock & Rock Hall of Fame 2023 Nominations

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
To say Kate Bush is not rock and roll is unfair: She did art rock similar to some Queen or Gabriel-Era Genesis.

To say Kate Bush is a one hit wonder is not true: She was around and fairly well known for about 7-8 years by the time her big hit dropped in 1985.

To say Kate Bush is getting in this year solely because of Stranger Things: I agree with this.

Look, this is not feelings. She really hasn't done that much in the 21st Century (three albums) that you'd only know about if you go to the hipster sites.

By 1993 when she did The Red Shoes, she was already considered a veteran performer and long in the tooth. She got some play on MTV late night (120 Minutes) but nothing too mainstream other than the usual review write ups. I was pretty young but this is when I first heard of her and she was on my radar ever since.

She had a family and took a twelve year hiatus. That's fine.

It's ok to say she had a great career. It's also ok to acknowledge this is a trendy pick and there's little to no interest in revisiting her music if it's not on Stranger Things last year. It doesn't mean you dislike her, and it's not demeaning.

Once again, Minnie Riperton and Killing Joke are not in this "prestigious" organization. Both ae more deserving than Kate Bush.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
There's a fun irony about people arguing whether or not Kate Bush was ever popular in North America when nobody outside of North America knows or cares the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad