Music: Rock bands where the "star" was not the lead singer?

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
How would Oasis be judged? Obviously Noel was the genius but Liam had a bar none rock star personality.

To anybody who knows about the band they know Noel is the guy.

If you're more laid back about it and don't know or care..then Liam is the guy.

So it could probably go either way.

Mimsy

Mar 21, 2015
Not sure if any of these were mentioned:

The Beach Boys -- Brian Wilson regressed into the background and was ultimately sidelined due to performance anxiety and mental health issues. Mike Love became a front man of sorts, but was never the star.

B-52's -- If I was attending a concert, I'd be going more for Kate and Cindy, even though Fred's vocals are essential.

Edited to remove Roxy Music. The more I think on it, the more I think not.

Last edited:

Individual 1

Jan 25, 2012
Time has definitely had a big impact on some of these situations in my opinion. In some situations lots changes looking at the band during say the first 5 years as opposed to the last 25 years.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Pink Floyd?

David Gilmour may be more famous than Roger Waters.

I guess they are sort of co-lead singers.
Same with Sonic Youth with Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore sharing lead vocal duties. Also Yo La Tengo with Ira Kaplan and Georgia Hubley. For Pink Floyd, I used to perceive David Gilmour as the main lead vocalist. Perhaps because his smooth vocals fit the music better on albums like DSOTM.

Last edited:

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
idk, it was Neal's band....Steve came later,then Neal kicked him out. But Steve Perry is a treasure, and Neal is not so I would agree.
It may have been Neals band, but if it wasn't for Perry, the band would have fizzled out in the 80's. Journey is what it is because of Perry.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yes probably qualifies. Chris Squire was, in my opinion, the most important (and probably most talented) member of the group. I think he also had the rights to the group's name - in the late eighties, four members of the classic lineup (which gave us "Fragile" and "Close to the Edge") reunited, but had to perform under the name "Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe".

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Spencer Davis Group been mentioned? Steve Winwood, lead singer

Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes--lead singer Teddy Pendergrass

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
This thread needs Duane Allman

Jerry Garcia

Arguably

Joe Walsh over Don Henley (man I ****in hate the Eagles)
Neal Schon over Steve Perry

not a chance schon was the star over perry

perry is one of the all time great voices. not to mention journey was a failed band before perry joined

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
Yngwie Malmsteen's band

Rainbow - As much as I love Dio, he was replaced several times and the band kept going pretty strong, it was Blackmore's show

Dream Theater

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
A couple come to mind, Lars Ulrich, Dave Mustaine, Cliff Burton were huge parts of Metallica’s early sound.

The rev from Avenged Sevenfold also played a key role in how the band sounded and he was a key contributor to how the music was wrote for the bands

I'd argue that even now S.Gates is a bigger focal point that Shadows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad