Music: Rock bands where the "star" was not the lead singer?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
With rock bands, usually the member that most people associate with that band is the lead singer. If you hear a Queen song, you think of Freddie Mercury. When you think of Blondie, you think of Debbie Harry. The Pretenders? Chrissie Hynde. Pearl Jam? Eddie Vedder. etc., etc. Often other musicians in a band will become famous as well, but it's very rare that their fame will surpass that of the lead singer.

So I'm looking for examples where the "star" of the band was not the lead singer. For this, I'm leaving out bands that had multiple lead singers like the Beatles or Fleetwood Mac. And I'm only considering their time in that particular band. For example, Dave Grohl has become quite famous over the last 25 years, but he wasn't the most famous member of Nirvana when he was in Nirvana.

A few I've come up with:

The Who - Pete Townshend (Daltrey might have been the least important member of the whole band)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Flea
AC/DC - Angus Young
Cheap Trick - Rick Nielson

Any other examples?

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
A couple come to mind, Lars Ulrich, Dave Mustaine, Cliff Burton were huge parts of Metallica’s early sound.

The rev from Avenged Sevenfold also played a key role in how the band sounded and he was a key contributor to how the music was wrote for the bands

Reactions: Baby Punisher

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The Bangles may qualify. All four ladies took turns being lead singer on their songs, but Susanna Hoffs got most of the media attention because she was the prettiest and happened to be lead singer on a few of their biggest hits. Supposedly, resentment from the other ladies over that fact contributed to their early breakup.

Last edited:
Reactions: plank

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
The Clash, Flipper, Rigor Mortis, Eyehategod, Voivod, Electric Wizard, Galaxie 500, Sonic Youth, Trouble, Amebix, Gang of Four, Watch Tower, Yo La Tengo, Witchfinder General, Boris, Chicago, Prong, Calexico, Slint, Can, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Sleep, Black Sabbath, Earth, etc. These are some bands that don't really have stars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bronson

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Ritchie Blackmore for Deep Purple's Mark 2 lineup, Michael Schenker for UFO

Voivod is a great shout, with all the Piggy worship.

plank

Aug 26, 2008
Long Dark Blues
Ric Ocasek and Benjamin Orr(I generally prefer the Orr songs) split lead vocals but Ocasek was the face(that face got Paulina) of the band. Songwriting seems to be a trend here.

Reactions: Sam Spade

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Fleetwood Mac is an interesting one - although I suppose Buckingham is the main dude.

They're touring without him right now.

EDIT: And you brought them up in the OP. Sorry about that.

One could argue that Neil Peart is the most famous member of Rush.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Whatever group Jeff Beck, including The Yardbirds but also The Jeff Beck Group. One more: My Bloody Valentine

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Boston is an example where leader, songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Tom Scholz was not the main singer.

Brad Delp was typically the vocalist.

Reactions: mmalady

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad